Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4695394 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Life is good
« Reply #2475 on: December 06, 2008, 03:10:58 pm »
More tender vittles there Greg - nice one. They've all gone nocturnal around here, gonna be tough to collect one this year - I ain't giving up though :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2476 on: December 06, 2008, 08:50:17 pm »

Keep after them Paul...hopefully one will venture in range while there's still light enough to get a shot
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2477 on: December 08, 2008, 06:14:25 am »
Great job GregB. ;) I had a great weekend.Didn't get my Osage finished but did get it ready for the grip and it will finely be done.I also had a problem with my Osage /BL.I had a knot raise on the BL.I
think I have it fixed,we will see when the sinew patch dries.We cut a lot of wood,the pile was almost gone and we can't have that ;) :D so we got after it Sat.and cut 5 or 6 loads and have plans to cut more,we burn a lot of wood.Greg is working on a secret project and stayed busy with that.I Will  let him tell yall about his idea. :) Grant and I hunted Sat. morning and seen some deer but no shots,we also done a little scouting and have plans on moving a few stands just a bit to try and cut them off.It really gets tough this time of year,the cover is gone and the food is more concentrated so the deer all get togeather,you will see a bunch or nothing at all and they are always going somewhere instead of just feeding along.That is why I try and fill the freezer early. :) Of
course we ate good.Deer backstrap, grilled veg's.and cornbread for supper Sat. night yum,yum. Hope yall had a good one also. Here are a few pictures from the weekend.Life is good. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2478 on: December 08, 2008, 06:18:52 am »
Repairs on the Osage/BL. Greg had a little problem with his Osage also,now it will be 58in,sinew backed. :) Also his little project and more sinew from the deer he took.If we keep having trouble we may need all I have collected this year. ;) ;D
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2479 on: December 08, 2008, 06:21:33 am »
A little wood cutting,you can see everyone gets involved,we all like fire.Even King Ron pitched in. ;)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2480 on: December 08, 2008, 06:27:45 am »
Supper and then to top if off I get home to a nice Package from PK.We made a little trade and I told him I feel bad ,I think I came out on top this time witch ant usuall the way my trades turn out,Thanks PK. :) Also a few shots of my Osage,it is coming along,if I could just get time to stay on it.I hate putting on a grip and that is about all I like,maybe this week. :) Life is good.
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2481 on: December 08, 2008, 08:28:46 am »
Pappy, looks like you really got some cool stuff from your trade...of course you did! ;)
Like Pappy said we really got a lot of wood cut Saturday, one more afternoon like that and we should easily have a year's supply even with how much we burn wood.

I was trying to put a pretty radical curve on an osage bow and it split badly. I was using dry heat and I guess had to much material I was trying to curve. Wanted to leave it wide to make sure I could align the tips and have the limb track correctly prior to narrowing it down. This was the first limb on the bow I curved that split, what I learned from it I tweaked the process on the second one and only had very minor splits that could easily scrap out. Anyhow, I'm planning to sinew back the now 58" bow. Also the top limb of the bow will be a couple inches longer then the bottom unless I try something radical like gluing on a longer tip on one end???

As for my "secret" project, I liked a bow that PatB donated to our Tn. Classic last May where he had ground up wood coals and mixed it in with his sealer...don't know the exact process he used, anyhow it was a cool looking bow! I thought I would try something similar but with a different ingredient then the wood coal. I went through our flint scrap pile and got together a lot of different types of flint flakes in various colors and went to busting them up. I'm trying to get them extremely small something like a grain of salt or smaller. Then after putting 1/2 dozen or so coats of sealer on the back of a bow to act as a barrier to the surface, I plan to sprinkle the flint onto a wet thick coat of sealer and let it dry in place. Then seal over it with several coats fine sanding after several with the hope of a smooth surface when finished. I plan to start off with Tru-oil and end with polyurethane clear satin. I know this is purely cosmetic and some might say putting sharp pieces of flint against a bows back is pure insanity, but we'll see I guess. ;D
Greg

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2482 on: December 08, 2008, 09:14:54 am »
Interesting idea Greg, at first I thought Pappy had cut the your food supply off and you were reduced to
eating bird seed :o :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2483 on: December 08, 2008, 09:23:56 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D That's a good one Dana. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2484 on: December 08, 2008, 10:10:27 am »
Wish we had fifty foot long perfectly clean and straight logs around here to cut into firewood - that's too easy ::) ;D. Glad you clarrified that Greg, I was wondering what you were up to with your mortor and pestle there - be sure to post a pic of the end result :). Looks like the bow's going to be a dandy Pappy and that BL/Osage looks interesting too..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2485 on: December 08, 2008, 10:38:44 am »
Ya I hope I can pull it off,Gary Davis sent me this at the same time he sent Davy the Osage /yew
that was posted on bows a few months back.It had some knots in it and the grain was violated a little at one of the knots,that is where it poped up,just a little and I think I can fix it.I may rawhide back it also just to give it a fighting chance.I was about ready to shoot it,would like to get at least a few arrows through it before it blows.We will see this week sometimes if I can stay out of the tree. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2486 on: December 08, 2008, 11:32:23 am »
Interesting idea, Greg. I wonder sometimes about engineers! ::)   Looking h=forward to seeing the final results.
   On the bow I donated last year, I used finely ground charcoal and bear grease, hand rubbed into the wood.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2487 on: December 08, 2008, 11:43:25 am »
He will have some bloody hands if he tries that with that stuff. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2488 on: December 08, 2008, 01:55:24 pm »
Birdseed! I'd have to work off my reserves for a while before I'd resort to birdseed. ;D

I hope it works without ruining the bow...hopefully if the pieces are small enough and can be sealed within the finish. It's all your fault Pat with that bow you donated giving me the idea...bout spent my retirement trying to win it! ;D

Greg

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2489 on: December 08, 2008, 08:04:43 pm »
Man wish i coulda busted out my saw and helped!!!!
 Life looks good.
Greg did you get a corse on your dogwood yet?
Mililani Hawaii