Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4651992 times)

8up

Re: Life is good
« Reply #270 on: June 25, 2007, 08:49:16 pm »
I got to the farm just before 6am. Pappy was already messin with a piece of osage. He put it in to steam while we went to shoot. I worked on a hickory for myself and got it to 23" and worked on another poece of hickory for my son and put a ton of reflex in it. When I finally sat down Pappy says what, Don't tell me your out of projects to work on? So I grabbed another hickory stave and laid it out and pappy split the belly off it and greg cut it out real quick. Pappy, Greg, Steve, Anthony and myself worked on bows and BS'ed all day. Life is good, Thanks Pappy

Ron

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #271 on: June 26, 2007, 05:59:59 am »
Ya we had a great time,Hillbilly the boys caught some crawfish in the creek and wanted to keep
them.I told them they would die so either put them back at the end of the day or cook and eat them.One of my rules[,they say I have to many] if you kill it you use it.So they cooked them up along wit a frog or 2 and ate them.They said they were pretty good,I don't know about that but the ate them just the same.I wished you guys lived closer to. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #272 on: June 26, 2007, 07:49:30 am »
Thought that looked like Tennessee branch lobsters  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #273 on: June 26, 2007, 08:31:59 am »

Yeah, the boys had such a good time that they talked me into letting them camp again last night behind my house in the woods. I had to think about it, cause I don't want them running all the deer off.  ;)

This morning when I went out to my truck to leave for work, I could hear them already up (or perhaps they never went to bed)...and they had a fire going. They're at that age where they want to spread their wings some, you just hope they don't get hurt in the process. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #274 on: June 26, 2007, 09:04:58 pm »
AH,But Greg.How many times did you get hurt having fun and not tell Dad? At least it's not girls doing the hurtin' yet ,I hope.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #275 on: June 27, 2007, 09:44:43 am »
You know I think we all worry about our kids to much now days,we use to do that same kind of thing when I was 8/9 much less 15/16.I just don't know why that is.I use to go hunting
with a 22 or shot gun when I was 11 or 12 by myself and mom never seemed to think much about
it.It was just what we did. ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #276 on: June 27, 2007, 02:21:15 pm »
Yeah Pappy, I was hunting squirrels by myself also when I was 11-12 years old. Seems like a lot of things have changed since then. I used to roam for miles not even thinking about what farmers property I might be crossing over. Now most of those fields and woods are filled with subdivisions. Farmers are more sensitive about who is crossing their property and with good reason.

We grew up in a time without home computers, without satelite tv, and all the games kids play today. We had to search for something interesting to do and that usually led outside. Kids of today are entertained more indoors...with my two boys as guilty of that as most others I guess. My oldest son's friend left the lights on his car at my house yesterday and ran the battery down. He didn't know how to get his hood up, and neither of them had ever been involved in using jumper cables.

Yes, "Life is Good"...but much too easy. Of course, my dad plowed with mules and walked five miles one way to school! :)
Greg

DBernier

« Reply #277 on: June 27, 2007, 07:06:30 pm »
Hey Greg, I'll bet your Dad was like mine, 5 miles, both ways up hill.   ::)   Ahhhhh the good old days.

Dick

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #278 on: June 27, 2007, 09:51:03 pm »
  Yea Pappy,I used to deliver my newspapers on a bike,weekdays in the afternoon and weekends in the morning.Always had my 22 or my bow and went hunting afterwards.nobody thought anything about seeing me with a gun.The old man that ran the store would let us cash in coke bottles for shotgun shells .He knew we couldn't afford a whole box.
   Now days if you saw a kid riding the same streets I did with a gun ,somebody would be calling the SWAT team.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #279 on: June 28, 2007, 08:33:58 am »

Dick, I don't remember him telling it was uphill both ways, but I think he had to cross a creek using a rope tied between two trees! ;D
Greg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #280 on: June 28, 2007, 09:53:21 am »
Ya mine had to walk to school 5 miles both ways up hill with snow and barefooted. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #281 on: June 28, 2007, 02:17:33 pm »

...and my dad had to be careful as a boy walking through their house to make sure he didn't kick or get pecked by a chicken poking its head up through knot holes in the wood floors...no seriously! ;D
Greg

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #282 on: June 28, 2007, 02:26:29 pm »
Ha, that's funny Greg - about the chickens. I can envision that, and I bet he would have gotten scolded good if he'd accidentally kicked one in the head a broke it's neck ;D. Well may have been worth it at least they could have fried chicken for supper.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #283 on: June 29, 2007, 06:24:07 am »
Well it is Friday again,not starting off to well with losing a good friend and another in the Hospital
with a mild stroke,but I will make the best of it.I plan on working on the twin sisters tonight and Sat.I have to mow the Grave yard and repair the drive to the cabin but that is about it for real
work.The rest should be fun.Ant sure who will be down but maybe Greg and 8up plans on coming down this evening.I got little Allison's bow finished yesterday and plan on giving it to her and see her shoot it, that is always good.Then set around the fire and think[,now that is scary] ;D
Sometimes that is just what you have to do.Life is good and sometimes to short so you better enjoy. :) Pictures Monday.Yall have a great weekend.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #284 on: June 29, 2007, 08:27:29 am »

Won't be able to make it down to the club this evening...twenty two years ago today my wife and I got married up! ;D We plan to go out for the evening.

Hope to make it by the club Saturday though if all goes well! :D
Greg