Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4694821 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: Life is good
« Reply #6015 on: April 01, 2011, 11:43:33 am »
Gobble, Gobble, Gobble..................... BANG!!!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Theo 3

• Crested Butte, CO
« Reply #6016 on: April 02, 2011, 12:17:17 pm »
Hey Everyone from the great white world, The snow banks in front of our home are even with the top of my pickup topper and there is 650" of snow sitting on our small property 8 miles w. of town, so all this turkey talk is killing us! Not to mention all the photos of Twin Oaks and the activity happening there... Spring seems like it is a ways off here . I have been making wing bone calls for my boys, Sam and Isaac and trying not to think about all the folks already enjoying the turkey woods. We are excited because we drew turkey tags at a beautiful area in CO, but near the NM border, called Lake Dorothey. It is 4500 acres,filled with turkeys,elk, bear and all types of wildlife and is "walk-in" only. From the same camp you can walk into NM and hunt a 6000 acre "bow only" area and take two toms there. Everyone needs to go to Lake Dorothey at least once in there lives! By the way, if you are applying for CO big game tags, the deadline is April 5th. After your snowy winter in TN, I'm sure it feels great to be in the spring woods again, Pappy. Hope you get to do some quality hunting and not work too hard. The boys really want to come to the Classic and we still need to deal with some items from Mom's estate so you will be hearing from us soon. Have a great weekend, I thought I just heard a gobble.... Teddy   
Hunting cleanses the soul and rejuvenates the mind...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6017 on: April 03, 2011, 03:12:44 am »

Theo, tell your boys, that shoveling snow was what gave the British, such strong arms to pull back those big war bows..... ;D ::)
Well I hope it thaws out soon, it should be on the way any day now.  It is warming up in in Montana now, and the bears are coming out.  I was coming home from my Girlfriends tonight, and a turkey flew across I-95, in front of me, and lit in a tree on the other side.
It was nice to see, and a pair of nice ducks flew over in front of me also.  Nice to see them also. ;)  Turkeys do look goofey, when they fly. ;D

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6018 on: April 04, 2011, 11:09:23 am »
Birds everywhere, but we're sitting in today waiting for this storm to pass. Tornado warnings and severe weather for the whole day. Everybody has been getting some nice birds, I'm two for two days.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6019 on: April 04, 2011, 11:41:52 am »
Photos Please???  It is all just hearsay without the Photos. :D

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #6020 on: April 04, 2011, 10:10:45 pm »
Pappy and Mullet, you both have PM's

HatchA

« Reply #6021 on: April 05, 2011, 11:58:59 am »
Wild, wet and very very windy here across the pond today (and last night).  I have seven trees to plant and managed one yesterday before the rain set in.  English oak in the ground - common hornbeam and 5 wild cherry trees still to do.  They tell you not to plant them in the rain but they do need to go in the ground...  any pointers?  I'm enjoying being dry so maybe I'll leave it 'til tomorrow...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6022 on: April 05, 2011, 04:03:09 pm »
Hatch, it won't hurt to plant them in the rain. Just be sure the soil is well compacted after planting. A good soaking watering should help with this. You are trying to eliminate air pockets. If your soil is normally wet or damp, plant the trees a bit high, the top of the root ball 2" to 3" above ground level and never plant below ground level.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

HatchA

« Reply #6023 on: April 05, 2011, 04:10:53 pm »
Thanks Pat, I'll take that on board ;)

***EDIT***

Well the crazy wind has blown itself away and the sun is shiny today so I planted the five cherry trees (after much anger and frustration at trying to find a place along the boundary that wasn't stones, rocks and aggregate about 8 inches down...) along the edge of the garden that lies next to the farmers' access field.  I bought these trees back in October or November from Lidl - they were in plastic root bags and the instructions said to keep them in the bags 'til I was planting them...  so five months later...  down they go!!  I'm heartened to find some green at the heart of some buds that are on the twigs, so hopefully they'll take ok.  Fingers crossed...

Still got the Hornbeam to bury but for now it's ok in it's pot.

I'm seriously unfit and can feel the aches setting in but for now...  Life Is Good  ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:04:05 pm by HatchA »

Offline don't cry wolf

« Reply #6024 on: April 06, 2011, 06:56:25 pm »
missed last weekend yall, hope it was fun. I was in Arizona last week, neat in the desert but I miss my hills so I'll try to be there this weekend...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6025 on: April 07, 2011, 08:01:49 am »
Had a great few day,lots of good friends and lot of dead Turkey,also had time to get 12 bows straightened for the Classic and lot of other little projects done.Eddie and Dave both got bows ready to start tillering in between Turkey Hunting.We ate good all we and had some very good time around the fire.Here are some pictures of the weekend. :) Eddie showed up with gifts,Miss Joanie loved that. Jon got the arrows flecthed for the Classic trophies.Man that is a big job that he took off me and I really appreciate that. :)   
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6026 on: April 07, 2011, 08:06:29 am »
Getting in some catch up time Friday evening,Woody showes up with his new toy. :) :) Cracker,Eddie loved your cup. ;) ;D ;D
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6027 on: April 07, 2011, 08:14:15 am »
Jesse brought me that shirt and stickes from CA. Jon's new knife, a beauty Jesse showing us how to use a Gun. ;) ;D ;D Hannah just taking in the fun.We got the place mowed Friday evening and then some back strap for supper. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6028 on: April 07, 2011, 08:18:25 am »
2 of my favorite girls,Then Turkey down.Man them guys got after them. :) Lot of feathers and chow. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6029 on: April 07, 2011, 08:25:51 am »
I got a chance to work on some bows,I was doing them 3 at a time. Art and Woody getting the trailers ready for some wood cutting,that never stops around there.Jesse gave Dave some Cain arrows with some great heads on them.He tried them out and they fly like darts. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good