Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4610270 times)

Offline wooddamon1

Re: Life is good
« Reply #19080 on: September 11, 2022, 09:43:31 am »
Wow! Beautiful country! Great looking camp as well. Congrats to your son on the bull, he's a beauty! Great that you guys got to experience such an awesome adventure together!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19081 on: September 11, 2022, 05:45:33 pm »
Thanks guys, it was a great time and some wonderful memories for sure. Had a good weekend at home and as much as I love the mountains it is still good to be home. We got the meat all processed and packages, got 160 lbs of burger /70lbs of steak and 4 nice roast, should do us for a while. Then we had the white tail Classic Saturday followed by the bash which is our last big gathering before deer season opens on the 24th/final leg of the white tail Classic will be Sunday night the 25th at 9 pm, we get to see a lot of deer checked in /a big meal and awards. It is always a lot of fun. Beau brought the kids down for the Bash Saturday and we took them out on the range, they are really coming along, they still need a little help but at 3 and 5 years that ant to bad, Margaret Ann shot pretty well hit  11 out of 18 targets and Bodie didn't do quite that well but had fun just the same. Few pictures of the fun. I got Beau's Elk lower jaw boiled and clean, plan on a euro mount on the head in a few days. My girls were sure glad to have me back, wouldn't leave my side most of the weekend. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19082 on: September 11, 2022, 05:48:11 pm »
The kids showed up along with lots of good friends. Margaret Ann ready to shoot after playing in the creek catching minnows.  :) She carries the quiver and I carry the bow. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19083 on: September 11, 2022, 05:49:56 pm »
She was so proud when she made a good shot, Bodhi was just happy shooting. Kid you got to love them. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19084 on: September 11, 2022, 05:52:41 pm »
She loves her NaNa  :) :) Then friends starting gathering for the big meal. We had about 40 Club members/friends and family. :) We done trash can chicken with all the fixings. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19085 on: September 11, 2022, 05:55:58 pm »
Miss Joanie helping get everything organized and then the feed. After the meal we had some time around the fire talking about old time/our hunts and hunts yet to come. Time very well spent. :) Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. :) :)
 PAPPY
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #19086 on: September 12, 2022, 05:11:09 am »
You have a great Crew of Members there Pappy ! Thanks as always  (=) - Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #19087 on: September 12, 2022, 01:46:49 pm »
Great stuff, Pappy.  Thanks as always for sharing.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19088 on: September 13, 2022, 05:55:23 am »
Great hunt & story Pappy...and your right....what a loin!!! How much did it weigh?
A guy could eat over a week just on that alone.
Nice to have a partner with you at this sort of thing.
I forget which state you were hunting in again.Were there any special things needed to be done with forms and such to transport the meat over the state line?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19089 on: September 13, 2022, 08:12:37 am »
Not sure on the weight but we think 650/700 , we got 225 lbs of cleaned de bone packaged meat, we were hunting CO. Couldn't bring anything back with spinal fluid, had to clean the head and blow out the brains to bring it back to Tennessee, done that at a car wash in Meeker.  ;) and yes a partner helps .  :) No forms, just tag and keep proof of sex on the meat, funny , antlers aren't proof of sex in CO. so had to keep the other things attached. ??? ::) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19090 on: September 13, 2022, 01:27:16 pm »
That's a lot of meat.Equaling around 4 average deer or so.Maybe at least a 3 to 4 year old animal?I was kinda asking what the loin weighed really.
No brains or spinal fluid which makes sense.Crossing the line then did'nt involve any extra red tape then.A little extra work cleaning the head out though.Which I'm sure you did'nt mind anyway.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19091 on: September 14, 2022, 08:09:38 am »
Ya wished I had weighted one of the back straps, quite a lot of steaks from one for sure. Cleaning the head wasn't a big deal once I thought of the car wash, the brains are sometimes a lot of trouble to get out before cooking if you want to do a Euro mount, but with the pressure washer it wasn't to bad, just kind of messy.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #19092 on: September 14, 2022, 10:25:08 am »
Using the car wash to remove the brains is a stroke of brilliance.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19093 on: September 14, 2022, 03:01:29 pm »
That was nice of you.Did you forget your goggles?....ha ha.Stuff really flies around with a power washer with all that force of pressure.It sure does save a bit of work with a power washer though.Used mine before cleaning beef and buffalo hides.
It seems it's a bit too much for cleaning white tail skulls though so I use the garden hose from the hydrant with a fine nozzle.
When dehairing beef hides all mud and manure needs to be removed as it will dull the scraper prematurely.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 02:26:26 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19094 on: September 16, 2022, 08:43:02 am »
YA I needed goggles, it worked for getting the brains out very well, didn't really try to clean up much else. I figured it was to strong for that. I am working on boiling it out and doing a euro mount this weekend, had to break out the big pot and big cooker for it yesterday and boiled for about 2 hours, looking good so far. Going to clean on it a bit this morning and then boil a little more. Also got the TwinOaks nap in going on through the weekend so lots of nappers coming in. I am just a watcher but will try and take care of their needs in between bush hogging and working on a few stands, season opens next Saturday so need to get some stands up/check for acorns and persimmons dropping and some others stands checked for safety that have been up since last season. Should be a fun weekend. Tomorrow in my birthday the 17th, big 70 WOW, and Miss Joanie ask what I wanted to do, I said the same thing I do most weekends hang out at the cabin and in the woods, she said it's your day, do what you like. :) Love that gal !!!! ;) :) :) Hope yall have a good one also. Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good