Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4650466 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Life is good
« Reply #1710 on: June 10, 2008, 08:56:20 pm »
Boy, ya skip a day or two and miss a lot!! Where'd ya git all that cane Greg, hehe - aught to have enough arra's to go on the warpath now ;D. Man them knives turned out nice! I gotta try some of those osage handles, them are sharp lookin! Pup's are looking plump and tender - hope ya got enough of them ribeyes Pappy ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #1711 on: June 11, 2008, 09:13:24 am »
Hey Paul, I got the cane right in the middle of the Clarksville city limits. :) There is a small river that runs through a section of town and has some farm land in the bottom. I had fished for strip bass in the river in the past and remembered this cane. Thought I'd check it out and see if it looked good. I'm not an expert, but it looks like some really good stuff, hardly any indentation next to the nodes...nice and round until it starts getting really small diameter. I've been drying it in the cab of my old truck going on three weeks. Cut what you saw to lengths of 32-1/2", and they were weighing anywhere from 300 to 600 grains. I've got them grouped by weight and plan to give them more drying time and then reweigh them. Sound like a plan? ;)

Glad you liked the handles, hoped you would. Really wanted to do justice to yours and Jesse's points, although probably not all that authentic from a handle standpoint. I cut them out diagonally across grain and matched the pieces. I'll send you a couple of sets if you'd like...least I could do. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #1712 on: June 11, 2008, 09:37:12 am »
That sounds like a plan to me Greg, on the cane. I'm not sure of the drying time, seems like a couple of months would be long enough. I guess their like wood - once they stop loosing weight you'd think their as dry as their gonna get. Those that I shot at the Classic had been cut for months I think before Hillbilly sent em to me, then I did all the straightening and stuff probably had em for a month or two before I made. I noticed the more I shot em and bounced em off trees, rocks, targets, whatnot - that they weren't as straight as before, not bad but just weren't quite as straight. Guess that actually says a lot for cane though, split a couple of 1" saplings with em and didn't hurt em ;D. The two that blew apart on me, I'm pretty sure was a design flaw on my part (matching up the foreshaft with the cane up front).
 Appreciate the offer on osage slabs, but that stave you gave me was overkill already  ;). Besides I've already got a bunch ripped out ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #1713 on: June 11, 2008, 12:58:09 pm »
Greg, any of that cane large enough to make blowguns from? That would be fun!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #1714 on: June 11, 2008, 01:59:07 pm »
David,
I never made a blow gun, but I was only getting the small cane for arrows. There is a lot of it the size of what Huck Finn would have used for catfishin' on the Mississippi. ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline david w.

« Reply #1715 on: June 11, 2008, 02:03:08 pm »
Greg, any of that cane large enough to make blowguns from? That would be fun!

I know where some really long bamboo is.  Now youre giving me ideas and it when the neighborhood cat disapperars it your fault ;D
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #1716 on: June 11, 2008, 05:27:30 pm »
No way pard! Its the one puffen on the end of the pipe who's fault it is.  ;)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #1717 on: June 17, 2008, 05:33:10 am »
Got back from Cloverdale,had a great time with all the bunch and meet a lot of new folks,we shot
a lot and ate like kings,I walked off this morning with out my camera so it will be Wend. before I get the pictures up,man I got some good ones.Check back in in the morning and I will show you how life can be good anywhere. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1718 on: June 18, 2008, 06:07:46 am »
The pups Wend. morning after the long drive up,they made it fine.Check out the camp,little
better than the Barbie tent I was in up at Ryan's.We had a great time ,friend,food and bows
what more could you ask for. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 08:10:18 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1719 on: June 18, 2008, 06:12:48 am »
More of the camp.Also Luke,he is Ron P.grandsone with his first Hickory bow,he is 10 years old and done a fine job on it for his first and man he could shoot it to.I am going to post some more of this bow on the bow thread. :)
   Pappy

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 08:10:55 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1720 on: June 18, 2008, 06:16:03 am »
Some friends stopped by camp and a little shooting on there range,I got took to school. ;)
    Pappy

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 08:11:30 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1721 on: June 18, 2008, 06:19:35 am »
O ya in one of those GregB got dog duty. Some just relaxing around camp.One of Luke ,I gave him a neck knife he loved it and getting supper ready for Friday night.  :)
   Pappy

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 08:12:31 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1722 on: June 18, 2008, 06:22:42 am »
Got a lesson from Gary on making cordage from Yuca,also meet a very nice guy from England,he had a very nice selfbow. :)
   Pappy

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 08:13:52 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1723 on: June 18, 2008, 06:26:40 am »
It was a great supper,Pork loin. A little picking around the fire and Tennessee and her new owners
Jesse and his better half. ;) :)
   Pappy

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 08:14:42 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1724 on: June 18, 2008, 06:31:44 am »
The other Jesse doing a little napping in the last picture.Tracy and his boys stopped by,nice to see some PA folks there,Supper Sat. night Ribeye,ant use to all that tame meat.GregB still working on that mystery bow and a head Jesse made for me.Great trip.Life is good. well till next week. :)
   Pappy

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 08:15:17 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good