Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4649786 times)

mullet, BDan and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #14040 on: October 24, 2016, 04:58:21 am »
Osage on the form. A new walking stick in the works and Bill chasing some rings on an Osage stave. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14041 on: October 24, 2016, 05:00:13 am »
Jimmy cutting up some of his deer meat and some blowing and burning of leaver, they really pile up around there if you don't keep ahead of them. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14042 on: October 24, 2016, 05:03:08 am »
Walking stick about all debarked, Dan jumped in and helped some on it. Jimmy came in Saturday morning with 2 more nice doe, I think that is 6 and 7 for him, he is a killing machine. GregB showing Dan the arrow he took a nice doe with Saturday morning also. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14043 on: October 24, 2016, 05:05:52 am »
GregB's doe and a nice 8 point he took Saturday evening. ;) :) The deer were really moving this weekend, we had a cold front come through and it was great to be in the woods not sweating and fighting skeeters. Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14044 on: October 24, 2016, 06:21:10 am »
It does look like "Life is Good" this weekend Pappy. There sure are a lot of deer come through your place both alive and field dressed. I love that walking stick that gonna be sweet. It's 4:45am here I'm heading for the beet digger to start what is my most grueling job digging sugar beets. This one is a real grind but also interesting because it takes a big crew and we have some great help that have been doing this for a long time. I pray for safe season for all my truck drivers especially. Good luck guys I might not be on here much for awhile.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #14045 on: October 24, 2016, 06:41:14 am »
Looks like deer were moving well! Nothing that spurred my attention. Last night I saw Bucks lip curling hard on doe's. Hoping to catch one heading back to bedding area here in a minute. Great Job to Greg!! I go right past his land to the farm I hunt down road a piece.
Good Luck fella's cuz it's about to get crackin in the woods directly!
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14046 on: October 24, 2016, 07:41:02 am »
Pappy, do you always use the spray poly on knife scales?  I'm about to finish up another one and was thinking of trying something different. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14047 on: October 24, 2016, 08:31:12 am »
 Clint I usually do , I like the looks of satin and it's easy and quick to get a lot of coats on, or Tru oil unless it is for the kitchen then I use olive oil rubbed in is many coats and re treat from time to time. For Poly or Tru Oil I will put a few coats on and then leave it over night, steel wool it with 000 steel wool and then do it again several times, it holds up nice. :) I have used your Grand Paws linseed oil you gifted me and it works great also, just takes a long time to really dry on wood and forever on something hard like horn or antler. ;) :) patients is my short suite unless I am Hunting deer Miss Joanie says and she is about right on that one. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14048 on: October 24, 2016, 08:43:27 am »
I have used tung oil before but I was thinking of using tru oil this time.  I can't decide if I want a glossy or a flat finish.  I'm glad that someone got some use out of that old linseed oil.  Over on TG they were talking about using a clear car rim clear coat in a spray can to finish bows.  I might stop and pick up a can of that on my way home tonight and so some tests on some scrap wood.  The knife I'm working on has some unique wood scales.  I don't want to mess them up.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14049 on: October 24, 2016, 08:52:38 am »
I don't really prefer the shiny finish on most things but use Tru Oil a lot, I just give it a coat or 2 of Satin Poly after it is finished to dull it a bit. Ya I use that linseed a lot around the Cabin, I use it to wipe on all the antlers that stay out side on some of the outside walls without much protection to keep them from getting chalky and turning white. Especially some of the better antlers. ;) Thanks. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14050 on: October 24, 2016, 08:55:26 am »
I didn't know you could put it on antlers.  I might get a little bit on a rag at the Classic next year and put it on the antler handles on my camper.  I put wood sealer on them when I sealed the outside of it. 

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #14051 on: October 24, 2016, 09:43:49 am »
Pappy, ole Hickory Bill ;D gifted me a very nice knife and I asked about the handle finish, 20 coats of super glue wiped on and final sanded with really fine auto wet dry sandpaper, He has a little heat lamp set up so can do multiple coats quickly. Both your bow and knife look extremely good , Love that spalted hickory. We got a ton of rain and cooled off and big winds got rid of a lot of leaves, I need to kill some deer in the next 3 weeks. Bob

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14052 on: October 24, 2016, 10:00:03 am »
Ya Bob, Burn um up Chuck has really gotten into the super glue finish, he uses it on knives/ax handle and even 1 or 2 bows it is tough and really finishes up nice. I have done a couple , just don't like messing with it is the only reason I don't use it more. ;) :) Ya it's cooled down here also and I am loving it. The boy that works for me just came up to my office a few minutes ago to get his instruction for tomorrow, ???  seems I put in for the 25th Oct. off back in the Jan. ???  when I usually make my Vac. request, I had forgotten about it so I guess I will be in the tree in the morning, that made my day. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14053 on: October 26, 2016, 04:27:24 am »
Had a great day in the stand yesterday, some close encounters but again no cigar.  ;) Be so glad when I can do that anytime I like and work don't get in the way. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #14054 on: October 27, 2016, 10:23:05 am »
Nice photos Pappy.

We hunted right in the Red River drainage last nite. Found where the deer had been really feeding on some green growth on this mud flat. This was my second time this week on this spot. The SW wind made the setup really shine. Sure enough had an extended family group showed up right at 1730hrs. Took a big doe that was almost all black. Face, back and shoulders. We did not get out til 2300 last nite. Long drag and canoe poling session back to our pull out boat site. Really enjoyable evening but sweating hot for almost November!

Life is Good~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW