Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4609492 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #15615 on: February 11, 2018, 07:09:38 pm »
Registration all finished and looking pretty Classy,almost to good for us bunch of red necks. :-\  Mine and Chuck bows off the form and ready to start tillering. Great time for sure. Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. ;) ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #15616 on: February 11, 2018, 07:25:58 pm »
The registration looks great Pappy.  I can't wait to get back down there and see the place in person. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #15617 on: February 11, 2018, 07:50:59 pm »
Yeah, the reg room looks great. Can't wait to see it all junked up again.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #15618 on: February 12, 2018, 02:28:01 am »
Good job Gang - lookin' good  (=)  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #15619 on: February 12, 2018, 06:33:21 am »
I sure would like to see and hear more about the limb bow. Do you have a thread going on it? Are you going to hollow the belly? Do you know your plans for the handle area yet. I have a crabapple that is coming down soon and I may get some wood out of it for a limb bow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15620 on: February 12, 2018, 06:35:12 am »
I hear ya Pat, I have seen it cleaned up many time over the years, but going to really try and keep it organized this time, we will see. :-\ Got 1 more shed to work on attached to the bow shop, plan on starting on it this week. That will have all the building straight except the 2 new target sheds and I plan on leaving them to the range guys. Then I am moving to the cabin, now that will be a job because nothing needs throwing away in it, just cleaned and straightened. Jon and I have done it before and it's a tough job, got to have good weather for that , everything has to be brought out/cleaned and then put back up in it's place. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15621 on: February 12, 2018, 06:44:13 am »
I don't have a thread Chief, I just cut it down the center with a band saw and left the fads and 4 inch handle in the center, it was long enough for a stiff handle. I may hollow the belly a little as I tiller, the last one I made like this I just had the belly flat , it had a crown of course but worked out  to be a very good bow.  ;) I will try and post more on it. I love the small diameter wood especially when it has seasoned and drawn into natural reflex. ;) Some leave the sap wood on but on this one I had enough heart wood that I took it down to a ring. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #15622 on: February 13, 2018, 03:42:38 am »
Thanks for the added info on the limb bow ,Pappy. I sure admire your courage on going for it with all the bows you make. All that experience sure is a wealth of knowledge for me. The pics of your work provide great insight to the unknown. Post a few pics of the tillering if you think about it. Especially any hollowing you do on the belly. Have you ever done one with white wood? That one you are working on looks like it will be a real showstopper.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15623 on: February 13, 2018, 05:49:55 am »
I have done some Hickory sapling bows, they work about the same as a limb, except with Hickory I only peel the bark, no need to chase a ring.Just find the right size sapling the will fit the hand. ;) I will post some pictures as i move along on this one, if it works out. Lots of pins and knots on this one so we will see , Just fun for a change, I usually make most of mine in about the same design but change up every now and then when a piece of wood catches my eye. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #15624 on: February 13, 2018, 11:27:23 am »
Those pictures from the UP trip were really fun to look at, Pappy.  Angie and I made it up that far last summer in June.  We did some camping up there and the bugs were...biblical.  Absolutely beautiful but I think I'd rather spend time up there in these cold months!

Ice fishing is great fun, I miss that. 

Looking forward to seeing you all pretty soon.  Currently, Angie and I are fixing to fly up Nashville this year for The Classic...I've got to be in work on Monday for sure so the drive is a tall order.

We'll get it figured...
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15625 on: February 14, 2018, 07:48:41 am »
Looking forward to seeing y'all Steve, Ya work always seems to get in the way of fun. I use to tell folks "work gets in the way but I haven't figured out a way to get by without it", ;) :) Now I have and am loving it, :) except for the getting Old part. ;)I use to when I was a kid look at my Grand Fathers generation with curiosity and wonder how that would be, Now I am that generation. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #15626 on: February 15, 2018, 05:55:53 am »
Glad your adjusted now Pappy. Retirement looks good on you. The bugs aren't as bad here on the sunrise side. Still have em but a lot more farm land here. Pretty good mix.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Parnell

« Reply #15627 on: February 15, 2018, 08:36:23 am »
You are that generation!  Yup.  Well...we are right behind you.

I think of my grandfather, Pappy.  Born and raised on a farm in S Indiana, WWII Pacific vet, pension retired from the power company at 55 years old then lived and went fishing in Central FL not far from Eddie for 35 years.  A long retirement. Man, I miss that guy!
1’—>1’

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #15628 on: February 15, 2018, 08:25:56 pm »
Guess you should have retired 20yrs ago Pappy
it's all looking good
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15629 on: February 16, 2018, 07:09:19 am »
Ya that would have been nice Guy, well maybe not I really enjoyed my work and still miss it from time to time.  ;) :) I hear ya Steve, I also miss My Grand Daddy Baggett, he was a great guy . He passed when I was 12 but we had some great times and I have some very fond memories of him, We were very close. :)  Well it's Friday again and I am headed to the cabin for the weekend. Got some special friends coming this weekend[Greg/Clint and Dbar are coming for a day or 2. We also have a club meeting and somewhat of a working Saturday to make planes for an up coming sports mans event coming up in Clarksville in 2 weeks that we are setting up a booth at and also our 2 day open shoot the 3rd weekend of March,  looks like rain but I am sure we will find something to do. Really looking forward to it. Hope y'all have a good one also. Life is Good. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good