Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4632965 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Life is good
« Reply #16020 on: August 16, 2018, 01:48:50 pm »
Almost all the pole barns, sheds and the pavilion at Twin Oaks have ERC posts. I've been going there for about 10 years now and they all still look good. The sapwood will rot off but the heartwood seems to last a long time. Maybe Pappy will chime in with a more accurate answer for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16021 on: August 17, 2018, 05:18:36 am »
i have fence post in the ground over 100 years old, the red will never [ well almost never rot] and very bug resistant . No concrete just dirt. Friday and rain again, we hope to put the roof this evening and tomorrow if we can catch it between showers. We have a meeting and working tomorrow so maybe with some help we can get it done. I pulled something in my left foot between the heal and arch, been babying it the last couple of days, could hardly walk and leaving for the mountains in 18 days so I need to be careful this weekend, hope I can make myself stay off it best I can, that is very hard for me to do when I am at the farm.  ??? Hope yall have a great weekend. Life is Good. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16022 on: August 19, 2018, 04:41:26 pm »
Great weekend, the rain missed us, not a drop so we got the roof on the new shed, now light and end skirting and it will be complete, My foot is still giving me some trouble so I mainly gave moral support and fetched a few things that they needed. Made another walking stick in between.
We hauled a bunch of Osage from my barn that had some worm damage, Bill is going through it and we will make fire wood out what can't be used for bows. I think he did 12 so far and about half should be fine, if that keeps up we will have lots to work with, all cut in 2002/2004/2006 so well seasoned. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16023 on: August 19, 2018, 04:45:54 pm »
Shawn showed up with a friend that wants to build a bow so I gifted him a winged elm and he went right to work with some guidance from Shawn and myself. We got it roughed in and  floor tillered in a few hours and man was he proud, got to love that. Bill cut a couple of logs out of the road on the way to the stable and also brought back a cedar tree pulled up by the root, I saved it and decided to make another walking stick. I am getting older and can't have to many walking sticks. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16024 on: August 19, 2018, 04:50:25 pm »
More Osage to check, I used the root end of the ERC for the handle of my stick, also made boards from the log he cut for later use as knife scales, it is Sumac [ not sure on the spelling ] but you know what I mean I am sure. Beautiful wood. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16025 on: August 19, 2018, 04:52:03 pm »
Then Saturday work on the shed and also a ladder for the loft in the target shed.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16026 on: August 19, 2018, 04:53:36 pm »
Get this bunch together things go up pretty fast. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16027 on: August 19, 2018, 04:58:15 pm »
Then Saturday evening I saved a few more cedars from the fire and also finished my stick, 6 coats out linseed oil, thanks Clint still using the jug you gifted me. :) Also done some practice with my fishing rig, getting ready for CO. in a few weeks. In case I can't walk I can set on the river/lake bank and fish while Beau chases Elk and Muleys. :-\ ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16028 on: August 19, 2018, 04:59:57 pm »
Then a peaceful evening by the fire with some foot therapy.  ;) :) Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #16029 on: August 19, 2018, 06:49:40 pm »
Pappy, sure hope the foot heels up, the rocky's are no place for a sore foot. Got to see Gary Davis and Dave and Barb this weekend at the Hawkeye Trad shoot, Had just enough rain at night to appreciate a good canvas tent. Every time I see one of your shed roofs I have to chuckle to myself, I keep thinking that's not going to carry 3 ft. of snow , Oh you don't get 3 ft of wet heavy snow all yr. Take care and heal up . Bob

Offline JEB

« Reply #16030 on: August 19, 2018, 07:28:36 pm »
Just cruising these posts and the next thing you know and I looking at my grand daughter  with her Pat B Bear Bag around her neck and my wife in the back ground. I forgot we stopped by for a visit at Elm Hall Pappy. It was a great event again. I was fortunate enough to win Pappy's powder horn in the drawing.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #16031 on: August 20, 2018, 02:55:13 am »
Take care of that foot Pappy ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16032 on: August 21, 2018, 05:39:29 am »
I am trying Bob, just hard for me to stay off of it. Hiked 2 1/2 miles yesterday with no pack and it seemed to do pretty good, a little sore this morning but I have been rolling a bottle in the arc of my foot and that has seemed to help, seems going down hill is easier that going up, maybe I need to hunt down the mountain. ;) :) :) :) :) Pulling my trailer to the house today to pack bearings/check out lights and new tires, getting close
and Beau and I are getting excited. ;) :) Margaret Ann walked for the first time last week and said Dada, Beau was so afraid he was going to miss that while we were gone, glad it happened while he was around !!! I think it is going to be harder on him than me to be away for that long. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #16033 on: August 21, 2018, 07:06:21 am »
Have fun hope the foot heals up. I'm sure you know but I'll say it anyway I'll warn you about being excited about walking down a mountain.  have some good sticks with you and use them otherwise you can blow out your knee and ankle in short order.

Offline HH~

« Reply #16034 on: August 21, 2018, 07:41:05 am »
You'll have that foot ready i'm sure. That roof looks mighty fine. Will be full I'm betting with smiling faces some spring.
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW