Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4610009 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #16155 on: October 11, 2018, 03:38:11 am »
Rain gone for now and weather is finely cooling, headed to the woods shortly. ;) Hope all has made it through the Hurricane ok. Looked to be pretty bad, the cold front we have coming in pushed it east of us, so not effects here. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16156 on: October 11, 2018, 07:47:20 am »
We've had 4.5" yesterday and today so far but it only rain, thank goodness. Looking forward to the cold front coming this way. We hardly have any leaf color so far this year and we should be in the peak now. Oh well, can't do much about it.
 Hope all are safe in the wake of Hurricane Michael. Poor Mexico Beach Fla probably doesn't exist after this storm. Only good thing about it is it couldn't have hit a less populated area in Fla but GA, SC, NC and up the eastern seaboard are getting it now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16157 on: October 11, 2018, 08:17:46 am »
The bad thing about it, Pat is that's the most populated area in North Florida. Big Tourist destination. It is going to hurt the Seafood and oyster industry here. And, it is tore up real bad.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16158 on: October 12, 2018, 03:42:13 am »
Hope you all made it through the storm OK, not even much rain here and much cooler this morning, in the low 40's. I am headed to the cabin and then to the woods in a little bit and look forward to hunting without sweet and bugs. ;) :) Got a club meeting tomorrow at noon and will be good to see the guys again. Hope yall have a great weekend. Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16159 on: October 15, 2018, 05:03:56 am »
Rain back here today but had a great weekend, at least it has cooled down a bit and the deer are piling up in the cooler, none for me but some close encounters. Another walking stick, this one is Red Oak from and old split Tobacco stick.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16160 on: October 15, 2018, 05:11:53 am »
More supplies for walking sticks. :)Yall know me, when I start something I just make them until I get tired of it and move on, not tired of sticks Yet. ;) :) :) Saturday mid day I went and picked up an old Anvil , My cousin had it and said he couldn't think of a better place for it. It belonged to my Great grand Pap Poole. He was born in the 1860's not sure how old the anvil is but at least 100 years or more. We weighted it and it is 114.8 lbs. Not sure how they came up with that weight but hopefully it will get some good use in my shop. :) Also got the handle wrap on my latest stick. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16161 on: October 15, 2018, 05:14:43 am »
My girls waiting on deer scraps, Keith killed his 3rd for the year and Big A killed 2 Saturday, 1 in the morning and one in the after noon. :) Them boys are on a roll. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16162 on: October 15, 2018, 05:18:22 am »
Garrett came by for some bow work, he fell in love with one of my sticks and we made a trade, nice Hawk, just needs a handle and I think I can do that. :) Need to get on some handles, I have 1 ax head /2 hammer heads and now a hawk that needs them. Maybe this week. :-\ Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16163 on: October 15, 2018, 05:33:06 am »
Glad to hear it's getting cooler up there and nice to see the deer start to pile up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DC

« Reply #16164 on: October 15, 2018, 09:30:29 am »
Maybe it was 120# and 6# got worn off in 100 years :D

Offline HH~

« Reply #16165 on: October 15, 2018, 07:11:35 pm »
Way to go Big A. That Greg B selfbow gettin a workout.

MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline chamookman

« Reply #16166 on: October 16, 2018, 01:45:40 am »
That Anvil is cool  (f) - thanks as always for posting Pappy ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16167 on: October 16, 2018, 03:25:33 am »
May be DC, either way it will get some use in my shop and fit right in with all the other old stuff setting around. ;) thanks Bob glad you enjoy. Rained all day yesterday so I made a handle for my new hawk, turned out OK. Also had another deer given to me. I plan on hunting this morning and then working up the deer. Very cool and no rain today, at least that is what they say. ??? At least the rain yesterday filled my new pond to about half, another good one like that and it might just fill before winter. We got close to 3 inches yesterday and the pond gets lots of run off. Hope she holds and I think it will. Off to the stand, hope yall have a good day. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16168 on: October 16, 2018, 06:59:22 am »
Nice project of a pond Pappy.Grass well established already too.I know I enjoy the pond here even though it's only designed to be a 1/4 acre pond it still can get 12' deep.Enough for fish to survive well through the winters here.What will you stock yours with?There's mostly bass,crappie and bluegills in this one here.I love those bluegills to eat that's for sure.
Late summer it was very low.Almost 2 to 3 feet low for sure.Now in the last month close to 18" of rain has fallen and it's up to the overflow again.A break in this deluge of rain is welcome with hunting season now on.
The only picture I've got of it for now which was took years ago from the driveway lane but a person can see the acreage in the background also.It was a little low at that time I see too.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 07:08:23 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16169 on: October 16, 2018, 09:11:52 am »
Took some recent pictures of the pond here to update things.One overall shot/one shot from the overflow/one shot from the dam side towards the acerage and woods.

I do see other ponds here with overflow tubes inserted into center of dam.Another way to displace excess water.This pond has a water line from pond to below dam with a shut off valve for an option to put water in a water tank for livestock if needed.Fencing the pond off then so livestock cannot erode the edges of the pond and have the pond silt in badly.
This pond was constructed I was told back in the 1970's I think.They push all topsoil and brown clay to one side down to the gray clay layer or hard pan for a nonseeping bottom.Then use that ground for the dam itself.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed