Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4609765 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #16335 on: January 06, 2019, 05:36:02 pm »
Case changed over to a walking stick, ??? Bill working on some handles and Shawn laying out some billets we cut out later in the day. :) My mallet ready for a leather wrap. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16336 on: January 06, 2019, 05:41:39 pm »
Garrett showed up for some bow work, he has a nice IW in the works. Don my neighbor and good friend came by with a set of sheds he found by the creek that joins our places, very nice deer, maybe next year. Season closed today except for a 5 day land owner hunt starting tomorrow for doe only. My jerky all finished up and ready to eat, turned out pretty good for my first. That's it for this week, hope yall had a good one also. ;) :)
Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16337 on: January 06, 2019, 06:32:29 pm »
Those are some big sheds.   That jerky looks good.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16338 on: January 06, 2019, 06:51:03 pm »
Like Clint said Pappy. Nice buck would have been wearing that headgear.
That jerky is looking really good.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline chamookman

« Reply #16339 on: January 07, 2019, 02:01:04 am »
Girls are looking Fat & Sassy  :OK, that Jerky looks real good  -C- ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16340 on: January 07, 2019, 05:46:14 am »
Yes the sheds are nice ones, he found them about 20 yards apart, Like you did the set you found Clint while you were at my place last spring. I am pretty sure these are last years sheds, not sure why the squirrels didn't find them but still pretty sure they aren't fresh, so if he is still around he should be a really nice one by now. Probably smart enough now to lay up in a thicket all day and do his moving at night. He will probably die of old age would be my guess. Who knows he may slip up and show his self in daylight but I doubt it. ;) That's OK just knowing he is around somewhere keeps things interesting. Headed to the cabin in a little while to see what I can get into.  :-\ Hope yall all have a great week.  ;) :) :) :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #16341 on: January 07, 2019, 02:07:59 pm »
Jerky was very tasty. 8lbs of it is a lot of the good stuff.

Splice looks fine on that Ironwood. Glued that walnut cap on it today after I got home. Should make someone a nice 66'' ntn hunting bow.

Wind got crazy after I left farm. 

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16342 on: January 07, 2019, 02:55:00 pm »
Thanks Shawn glad you liked it, Bill said it was good also along with most everyone who tried it Saturday except Chuck , he said it needed more salt  ;) :) :) I know Sally and Sister like it. ;) ya it is windy and raining here now, got all my pine needles blown off the drive and pool area before it rained, Miss Joanie was proud of me. ::) Yes the splice looked good, best we have done so far, with some more practice we might get to where we can do a pretty good one. Practice make prefect they say. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16343 on: January 08, 2019, 05:31:31 am »
The weather was beautiful yesterday and is supposed to be today, then back to winter but we have had a nice little break. I laid out 2 deer hides
 from the freezer yesterday and done some work on my racks/fleshing pole and scrappers. I plane on racking up 2 hides today and also putting one I already have in rawhide in the brains. I like to do 2 at a time if I can, it just seems to keep me focused. I need to clean out my big freezer bad, it has 8 or 10 hides and don't even know how many brains and other things in it so maybe over the next few weeks I can focus on getting them tanned or at least racked and scrapped and made into rawhide. Much easier to store them in rawhide rather that green hair on hides. Hope I don't get side tracked as I seem to do from time to time. ??? ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16344 on: January 09, 2019, 05:39:10 am »
Had a great day yesterday, got all my stuff for tanning up in shape 1 hide in the rack 1 fleshed and ready to rack and one in the brains. Now the work begins. ;) The weather in turning colder so should be just right for this kind of work. I like cold and dry which it seems we don't get much of anymore.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16345 on: January 10, 2019, 05:36:30 am »
Well it's Friday for me, I am headed to the Cabin in a short while , My son Beau is coming down this evening and we plan on enjoying tomorrow the last day of Deer season, it is the last day for Land owner and doe only so we are going to try and put 1 more in the freezer. Then the Youth hunt Sat./Sunday and it is all over for another year. It like life has really flew by. I got my other hide on the rack yesterday and the one in the brains Rung out a couple of times and stretched some, it is beginning to look a lot like leather. :) I love how each time you work it , it starts to transform.I usually ring and stretch and back in the brains 4 or 5 times before I start pulling and stretching it until it is dry. I am on the 3rd time so may get it done this weekend if all goes well and my arms hold up. ;) :) :) If I wear out I just wrap in up in a wally world bag and put it in the freezer until I want to work on it again. Hope yall have a great weekend. I am thinking I will. Life is Good. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16346 on: January 14, 2019, 05:11:48 am »
Had a great weekend, today is Miss Joanie's birthday so running a little behind. I will have stories and pictures when I get caught up a bit. Cold and rainy here again today so not a good time to dry out hides. I did get on finished and ready to smoke and another in the freezer already brained and dried a bit. Also started dry scraping one of the 2 in the rack, Just to damp to do a good job so waiting on some sun, maybe tomorrow.  ;) Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16347 on: January 14, 2019, 05:46:49 am »
Tell Mrs. Joanie happy birthday for me Pappy. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline HH~

« Reply #16348 on: January 14, 2019, 06:06:10 am »
Yes, what Clint says. Happy Birthday Miss Joanie.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16349 on: January 14, 2019, 06:08:51 am »
A very happy birthday to Mrs Joanie Pappy. I'm working a few hides now to. I got my first one brained and sewed. Started breaking it a bit but had to put it back in bag and freezer. I'm learning lots with this one. I've tanned a few hides before, but first brain tanned buckskin. I'm thinking next one will go a bit easier. Not that it's going to be easy.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise