Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4611050 times)

Offline GlennM

Re: Life is good
« Reply #16425 on: February 08, 2019, 07:28:39 am »
Pappy,

How was your trip to Woodcrafters?  Get anything good?  I love those pocket hole kits for joining wood.  Hope to have one someday.  There is one where our daughter goes to school and I plan on stopping for a look around this weekend when we visit her.  I always look for interesting pieces of wood to work with.  Its crazy how expensive quality lumber is these days.  Even domestic wood is overpriced.  Tropicals are usually through the roof.  Cocobolo for knife handles is awesome, but costs more than all the other supplies put together.

Glenn

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16426 on: February 10, 2019, 06:02:13 pm »
I hear ya Glenn, yes they had a lot of cool stuff but I soon realized I should have brought more money.  :o Had a great weekend, cold but sunny and dry, back to rain now for 3 days they say. Anyway I did get some hide work done and fun with friends. Here are a few pictures. Got a hide out to thaw so I could flesh and rack it up, only problem I left it out Friday night and it was a solid rock Saturday, guess I will flesh and rack it tomorrow. Miss Joanie had a chair given her from her first grade Class, It had some splits in it so I took it and put it all back together, she plans on Margaret Ann using it around home. It is probably 75 years old at least. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16427 on: February 10, 2019, 06:05:49 pm »
Chair finished and 1 hide on the smoker. Also softened 3 more files for knives, had lots of good coal's to use for smoking and thought why waste them. ;) I have them soft enough now to work with. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16428 on: February 10, 2019, 06:07:38 pm »
My girls just hanging out and first hide off the smoker. Turned out pretty good, a little darker would have been nice but OK for me. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16429 on: February 10, 2019, 06:09:38 pm »
Bill showed up all cleaned up. Will and Greg showed up for a visit also, always good to see them. 2nd hide on the smoker and 1 de haired. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16430 on: February 10, 2019, 06:12:13 pm »
2nd hide off the smoke, turned out fine. That's it for the weekend, came home smelling like smoke for sure. Can't understand why most women don't appreciate that. :-\ ::) ;) :) Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16431 on: February 10, 2019, 07:08:51 pm »
You've been busy, old man. Good to see my buds and the wife hates that smell. I love it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16432 on: February 11, 2019, 05:05:06 am »
I hear ya Eddie on the wife, :) Ed said his wife liked the smell , she has to be the exception from all I hear from. :-\  yep a little busy but disappointed I didn't finish up what I wanted to get done. My plan is to get all the hides in the freezer that are left into at least rawhide form, 6 more , but at this rate and weather not sure that's going to happen before it get to hot again, O well I will just keep at it.  ;) Yall have a good week. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #16433 on: February 11, 2019, 06:17:24 am »
Your forearms must be exploding from racking those hides! Color looks good on them. I see you have a Rasp ready to complete that Elk handle two piece set. One for the camp and one for cutting trail!

I was doing about 80 coming home on Sat on 65, was a long stretch north of Birmingham. I passed a big otter that was hit. Wanted to turn around but exit was way to north and the one south was way back. I kept on moving North as my buddy was trying to miles on to get as far west as he could before that ice and snow. We got all rain but he got bad ice and snow on 70 between St Louis and KC.

Trip was good. Walked a lot in flooded bottoms and swamps. Water everywhere down there. Standing water on high ground. Now Im home and I need a snorkel here as well. Never seen a fall/ winter with so much Rain. River here is out its banks at house.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16434 on: February 11, 2019, 02:09:16 pm »
Ya been raining here since yesterday morning and a couple more inches tonight they say, only good thing , is Margaret Ann's pond is looking good. :) Got another hide fleshed and ready to rack today and another File knife started, Shawn I have a big rasp already softened and ready for you when I see you don't let me forget. Also got a package today from Arvin Weaver, to my surprise it had 2 beautiful bows in it, 1 for Jon and one for me, what a nice surprise , thanks Arvin, not sure why but what ever the reason it is much appreciated. I will have some pictures of them in a few days. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #16435 on: February 12, 2019, 07:22:19 am »
Very nice of Arvin.

Guess he sees all my Shawn SuperCenter shelf bows here?
Whatever the reason, that is a special deal right there!
Arvin is a super fella. We all know what it takes to get one from tree to shooting, right.

Thanks for the Bolo blank. I need a break from scrapin wood! Have finished two or three bows since rut ended. Have that HHB viking bow with the natural reflex to finish is all now.

Doing a trail cutting heavy bolo will be a nice break!

Thanks
Shawn~

MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16436 on: February 12, 2019, 02:35:03 pm »
You bet Shawn and yes it was very kind of Arvin, can't wait to shoot one of them. May be a day or 2 I had to have a spot cut off my inner foot this morning, sending it for biopsy but they think it's OK, Know in a few days, anyway they said minimal pain when the feeling came back, I would hate to see real pain, just thought I was tough ??? Having trouble walking around right now, got to get in shape for the Spring Fling next week end. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16437 on: February 12, 2019, 06:30:15 pm »
 Get that foot healed up Pappy.  I'll see you at the shoot next week.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16438 on: February 13, 2019, 04:24:57 am »
Those hides are looking good Pappy. I got really sidetracked on mine. Three are about ready for smoking but it I put em in freezer till I finish my project I'm working on now. In the meantime I managed to get two red fox and a big boar coon. I sawed some ash logs for lumber and put them on my man cave walls. Been taking a lot of my time, but getting close to finishing now. Good Luck with the spots. I had a melanoma spot taken off my leg last fall. They took a lot bigger chunk of my hide than I was guessing they would. Took quite awhile to heal. I've had two more off since but they were benign. Hope they stay that way.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16439 on: February 14, 2019, 05:46:44 am »
Thanks BJ, and all the well wishes. Ya the hides turned out OK, I got another on the rack yesterday and plan on taking 1 off today that is ready to tan or at least roll up for later, also laying out at least 2 more to flesh and get ready to rack over the weekend, like I said I still have 6 left in the freezer that I really want to get out so I can defrost that old thing, it is getting pretty iced up. Looks like sunshine again today and then back to rain so I need to get at it. ;) Have a great day. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good