Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4609192 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Life is good
« Reply #16980 on: November 25, 2019, 12:50:39 pm »
Pappy, You say ya got 15 hides ready to go, hmmm Jesse still hangin out :o  If not you better get on to your Wheaties diet ;D I pulled one of my rawhide ones out and threw it in some soy lecithin. Brained twice worked once, came out pretty good just a little tite on shoulders and neck, missed some grain on neck , pretty soft for a lg. buck. Of course had a few holes to sew but reasonable, I hate sewing up hides but they gotta die some how, just some worse than others. Speakin of tite neck and shoulders stretching hides put a few kinks in mine. Bob

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16981 on: November 26, 2019, 04:25:36 am »
He is still around but haven't seen him in a week or so, Ya I know it's a big job but I do them 1 here and their so not to bad. The good thing about having them to the rawhide stage is I can do them a little at a time whenever I feel like it. I got another big hide yesterday from Greg's large buck so need to get it fleshed and ready to rack soon. With the large ones I have the same trouble with the neck and down the back but have started spending more time while they are racked up thinning them in them areas and that really helps and yes they hurt my neck and arms also. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16982 on: December 02, 2019, 05:15:18 am »
Great weekend, very peaceful , lots of rain and chilly and not many visitors so me and the girls just did or thing. I got another big hide fleshed and racked up and also a couple off the rack, rolled up and ready to tan. Repaired a few things I need to some some euro mounts. The big cooker Cracker gave me several years ago need some cleaning and the ports cleaned out so I did that and just mostly laid back by the fire and ate well. Few pictures of the peacefulness . Shawn showed up Friday and we did some work on the handle of his new Osage Limb bow, he also brought brats. Yum Yum. Then the girls just hung out by the fire while I racked a big hide. :) This was a 170 lb field dressed buck so will make a nice one when finished. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16983 on: December 02, 2019, 05:19:12 am »
Hide up and tight, the girls love this time of year, lots of deer parts laying around for them to gnaw on and berry. It was raining all day so I decided while I was working on the cooker to get the grill going for Saturday evening cooking. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16984 on: December 02, 2019, 05:22:22 am »
Legs everywhere, after the girls chew all the flesh and sinew off them I gather them up for projects. :) ;) Will killed a nice doe, it is getting tougher this time of year for bowhunting but their are still a few of us that don't break out the smoke pole or rifle.  ??? :) Also I was determined to be eating some tomato's in December from my plants by the porch and I made it, still a few left. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16985 on: December 02, 2019, 05:29:14 am »
Our club has killed 32 deer so far this year with a bow,25 with glass recurves or long bows and 7 with self bows, been a good year for sure. :) Then a good supper of back strap wrapped in beacon by the fire. Also got Jesse's hide off the rack, he has been out of pocket as of late so I took it off for him and put it away until he gets time to tan it, plus I needed the rack. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16986 on: December 02, 2019, 05:33:37 am »
 Now back at it, decided not to hunt today, snowing and 12/15 NW winds,I can take the cold pretty good but not as good as I ones did, plus the freezer is full so no pressure. ;)  Hope y'all had a good one also, Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #16987 on: December 02, 2019, 06:53:03 am »
Sounds like a mighty good season.
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline BrianS

« Reply #16988 on: December 02, 2019, 08:04:34 am »
Pappy,
Thirty Two deer harvested with bows is a excellent season! Congratulations on your success and the success of the Members of Twin Oaks!
Take care,
Brian

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #16989 on: December 02, 2019, 08:42:58 am »
Congrats Pappy!!!! seems like a good year! maybe try to get that glass bow # down and the self bows up   )P( ;) . I think ill be seeing you in May!!!  (=) ;D ;D
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #16990 on: December 03, 2019, 03:18:38 am »
Thanks Pappy  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #16991 on: December 03, 2019, 11:43:06 am »
That's a good # for any club. Those backstraps look good. Do you have the recipe on this web site? The last ones I cooked were just pan fried and a little tough.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16992 on: December 04, 2019, 04:28:15 am »
 You are welcome Bob,Thanks guys, we usually take 20/25 and have taken 30 but this is the best year in a while, and it ant over yet. :) Ya DH21 it is hard to get them to stick with the selfbow for some reason  ??? :-\ It is hard to get some of them to not break out the smoke pole and rifle also and that's OK, to each their own. Chief, nothing special, just wrapped back strap in bacon and marinated in Italian dressing and orange juice for 24 hours and cook on hot grill med rare and cover and let rest an hour our so. It is tender and very tasty.  ;) Miss Joanie was glad I didn't have many guest and brought most of it home, we eat it for 2 evening meals and I would say it was just as good warmed up. Any time I cook venison I always add some kind of oil to the marinate , what ever it is, that will keep it moist and even when you warm it up it is still juicy and tender, if I don't add oil it isn't very good when eating it as left overs, gets hard and dry. :) Margaret Ann Wednesday but I plan on heading to the wood for a short set here in a little while. Weather is beautiful here for a change. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Otis

« Reply #16993 on: December 04, 2019, 04:36:47 am »
Have a great day in the woods and with that beautiful grand daughter Pappy.  Haven't hunted much myself in the last week.  Hoping to change that starting tomorrow.  Have some honey do things
to do today.
                           David

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #16994 on: December 04, 2019, 05:51:50 am »
Thanks for the recipe and the tip about the oil. I have a couple thawing out and will use that method tomorrow.