Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4611180 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #17130 on: January 21, 2020, 07:14:00 am »
Not sure Chief but it really smells sweet unlike most of the fat on our deer here in Middle TN. Yes Kevin, I get it to red and non magnetic and quench in Veggie oil , then in the oven 375 for 2 hours, I know it is not as precise as you do but it seems to get the blade where it holds a good edge skates a file  but not so hard so it's brittle. Thanks for answering DC's question and it also looks cool. ;) :) And the wood for the scales is Leopard wood .  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #17131 on: January 21, 2020, 05:34:10 pm »
pappy
ok your heating to critical in the coals.
I thought you were tempering..
I can see how what your doing could work very well,
heating the steel slowly in those coals you probably don't end up with much warping.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #17132 on: January 22, 2020, 04:55:32 am »
Watch out! If the club ladies find out they will be making cosmetics and soaps and candles out of the stuff. Could put a big strain on your supply.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17133 on: January 22, 2020, 06:43:12 am »
 :) I doubt any of the ladies in our bunch would be interested in doing that Chief  ;) Especially Miss Joanie. ;)Several of us take this stuff pretty serious but most of the women could care less, Miss Joanie says she loves and supports me because I love it  ??? and that is the only reason.  ;) Thanks Kevin, it seems to work OK but for sure not as precise as you do them and no I don't get much warping. I really need a good forge but we are still working out issues on the one we built and also it is a gas hog so for now I just use what I have.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17134 on: January 22, 2020, 02:56:17 pm »
looks like lots going on Pappy. I never turn down deer either. I was given two does right before I was going out New Years Eve. I thought I might get in trouble with the wife being a little late after skinning and gutting them but she was happy to have the deer.

Pretty cool your buddy got that doe with that bow. Kinda full circle.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17135 on: January 27, 2020, 05:53:20 am »
Another busy weekend, stayed busy and got quite a lot done. Good fire and friends, the other stuff is just gravy. :) Few pictures. Started the weekend trying to get the arrows finished up for the Trophies at the Classic, got the all ready except the first place one which will have napped points on them, waiting on the points. Bill has most done so should be able to finish up this week. :) We need 42 arrows for the trophies , so I like to start early because 42 of anything takes a while. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17136 on: January 27, 2020, 05:56:09 am »
Got some finish on my last knife and the hide racked from the last doe, also went to work on the meat, grind for brats and about 12 lbs for Jerky.
This should be the last deer for the year unless someone comes up with a road kill. :-\ ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17137 on: January 27, 2020, 05:57:41 am »
Got the meat all cleaned up and ready to grind and Jerky, my girls clean up all the scrap. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17138 on: January 27, 2020, 05:59:55 am »
Arrows all finished, another knife blade ready to temper and all the deer fat I rendered put away in cups for later use.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17139 on: January 27, 2020, 06:03:42 am »
Blade ready to clean and mount handle, Brandon showed up with the ax handle he started last week, turned out nice even though I would have rounded the handle a little more, he liked it so that is all that matters. Jerky out of the dehydrator and tasting pretty good.  ;) :) I like mine dry and chewy. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17140 on: January 27, 2020, 06:05:23 am »
Handle on new knife, ready for the finish. Hope yall had a good one also. Now for another week. ;) Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #17141 on: January 28, 2020, 03:47:59 am »
Man - that Jerkey looks GOOD ! Thanks Pappy  :OK - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline HH~

« Reply #17142 on: January 28, 2020, 03:51:43 am »
Jerk will go good in the high country come fall. Come to think of it it was good last week!

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17143 on: January 28, 2020, 06:15:42 am »
I thought it was pretty good Bob, not to spicy and good and chewy, last a while in you mouth, just like I like it, I like the kind others make also but it's about like eating a slim Jim or meat stick, good to eat but not how I like jerky. :) Beautiful day yesterday ,sunny and warm, now freezing fog and cold this morning, rain coming tomorrow and maybe snow , then back in the 60's early next week, man the weather just can't seem to make up it's mind. ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #17144 on: January 28, 2020, 10:13:13 am »
Do you smoke it?