Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4609367 times)

Offline Chief RID

Re: Life is good
« Reply #17565 on: August 17, 2020, 03:33:25 am »
Sounds fantastic! Keep posting your progress. I may never do that trip but I sure like to here that I could if I wanted. God bless and God bless America.

Offline GlennM

« Reply #17566 on: August 17, 2020, 04:57:51 am »
Good luck and safe travels to you and Beau on you upcoming trip.  We are headed to the mountains in northern NY (Adirondacks) for 10 days to celebrate the end of summer before the new school year starts.  Davey and Barb will be joining us on Saturday.  We are camping on a lake that does not allow motorboats, so its perfect for the kayaks. 

Glenn

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17567 on: August 17, 2020, 05:54:03 am »
Thanks guys, that sounds great Glenn, tell Davy and Barb I said ha and missed seeing them this year. That is also a cool thing about the area we hunt, huge area and no motorized vehicles , only foot or horse so you don't see many folks or here any noise. Very peaceful up high. :) Headed out for a hike and some food plot spraying this morning, finely stopped raining and has cooled down a bit here so should be a nice day to get some stuff done. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17568 on: August 17, 2020, 07:09:34 am »
Good luck Pappy!   I hope you get a shot at a big bull.  I wish I was going out there this year.  Maybe next year I'll get to chase them again.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17569 on: August 17, 2020, 07:55:13 am »
Good luck to you and Beau, Pappy. Meeker is such a pretty area. It's been over 40 years since I was up there on the Flattops. I was driving back from a job in Wyoming when we came into Meeker with it snowing like crazy. Traffic was slowed to a crawl coming into town because we had to share the road with hundreds of Elk coming down from the 'Tops because the snow was so heavy. Really cool.
Y'all have a good time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline HH~

« Reply #17570 on: August 17, 2020, 09:55:11 am »
Keep yer eyes out for a big bull. The old saying is "they kill the biggest Bulls in smoky fire years". Not sure why? I guess it just seems they kill monsters when the smoke fills the drainages up. I have had good luck in the smoke as well.

Watch yern Topknot

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17571 on: August 17, 2020, 02:51:15 pm »
Sure hope you and Beau have a great time Pappy. You looked like you were in pretty good shape for the trip when I saw you at Elm Hall. Enjoy every minute and have a safe trip.
Bjrogg
PS take lots of pictures to share those stories with us
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17572 on: August 18, 2020, 05:14:11 am »
Thanks guys, Ya Eddie I have heard stories from the locals about Meeker and Buford in the winter when the snow gets deep, one ask me if we had seen any elk, I said we had seen a few, he said you ought to be here in December and January.  ;) seems their are a lot of fires in CO. right now, 1 fairly close to where we will be, to late to change plans now so maybe they will be done before we get there, Beau checked and said no fire where we are going but could be hazy or smoke from the fires all around. Got in 3.8 miles yesterday with the big pack 68lbs, 1 more time out with it Friday then time to revamp it and try to get to around 40 lbs or so,also got the wheel bearings packed/tires and lights checked and repaired on the trailer, it is ready for the road,taking the last week before we leave off to recoup.  ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #17573 on: August 18, 2020, 06:30:04 pm »
470" Forest Fire year Bull just killed.

Kill big boys in fire years!

H~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17574 on: August 19, 2020, 05:40:17 am »
Yep that's a nice one for sure. Not looking good right now but hope things get better, fire is with in 25 miles of where we are going and interstate 70 is closed at Glenn wood springs,the area we are going has the least smoke of any around,but that was yesterday.I am sure if they don't get the fire out our area will get much worse. Beau has found another rout, about an hour longer but that's not a problem, just worried about the fire, some say just go somewhere else but we have a draw area so no options unless we want to buy over the counter tags, done bought tags for this area only,so don't want to have to buy another.O well just going to carry on with the plan for now, we will see what a week holds. Leaving 11 day from right now. :-\ :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17575 on: August 19, 2020, 08:49:30 am »
An old school friend retired out there in Crested Butte. They said they have smoke all the way down there. The fire is north of Grand Junction and west of you. You should be able to get there by going north and west and then south into Meeker unless that highway is closed.Good luck.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17576 on: August 20, 2020, 05:54:42 am »
Ya Eddie, Beau found a rout , a highway that turns north off 70 right after you go through the tunnel , then west and come into Meeker from the North, 70 is closed around Grand Junction. It's a little longer but not by much, he said it was a pretty good highway, not a dirt/gravel road. We will see, :-\  I am just going on as if it is all still coming together, done my last hike yesterday with my day pack [28lbs] 6.8 miles, it will be lighter by far when I use it hunting, hoping to get it to 12/15 at the most, tomorrow my heavy pack [68lbs]for a few miles then I am ready to get them both packed like I want, hope to get it about 40lbs or so. Next week finish packing and shooting.  ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #17577 on: August 20, 2020, 06:29:15 am »
Yeah Pappy

They are issuing cards with bar codes for home and ranch owners to come and go thru evac zones. Then had lines for hours yesterday in evac zones for Pine Gulch fire. Folks are hauling out there meat and mounts, guns and bows, pets and horses. Tough to get yer entire life out before in burns up.

I gave ya a report from my friends up near W. Park and G Junction when I come down later after a hill run workout. Wanna go see if those big group of bucks is still hanging in same spot.

I bring a bow to shoot and that pyramid to heat treat one last time.

Shawn~

Offline BrianS

« Reply #17578 on: August 20, 2020, 07:52:35 am »
Pappy,
Good luck on your trip. Hope your hunt goes well and is successful and safe. Looking forward to seeing the pictures you post.
Take care,
brian

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17579 on: August 21, 2020, 06:04:42 am »
Thanks Brian, Headed to the cabin this morning for the final hike with my big pack, then repack both packs and load the trailer. Fire is about the same out west, maybe a little better, said 70 would be open a few days, so maybe things will settle down by next weekend. Any way all is good.
I have a few projects to get done this weekend that have nothing to do with the trip, need to do something to keep it off my mind. ;) Hope yall have a good one also. Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good