Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4609345 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #17775 on: November 29, 2020, 02:36:49 pm »
Shawn got the second Hickory floor tillered, I took some time and put my Yew bow on the form for some tweaking and to add a little reflex, I have it 50 @22 . I thought I had 1 more deer to do but a good friend brought me this one, they don't want anything but the head, what a brute, I can honestly say it is the first 200+ lb white tail I have ever had my hands on, it weighted 202 field dressed, I know you Northern boys/gales see that pretty often but in TN. it is rare , I here folks tell about them but never seen one in person till now. :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 02:56:31 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17776 on: November 29, 2020, 02:41:53 pm »
My Yew bow off the form and ready to carry on with the Tillering. Dan and Shawn back in the shop doing some tweaking of Dan's Osage.  :) Terry is our ace tool sharpener, he is working on my scraping tool for removing hair from deer hides. :) He done a nice job on it. :) He has been having a kind of hard time lately so I try to keep him busy when he is around. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17777 on: November 29, 2020, 02:50:12 pm »
The hair almost ready on my deer, just needs a little more drying time, I will get it done this week I hope if the weather holds. I decided to flesh the hide off the big buck right after skinning, man what a job, I can usually flesh one in about 30 minutes, this one took 1 hour 20 minutes, it was really really tough especially in the neck and hide quarter areas. But I got it done and will rack it up tomorrow I hope. Nice hide 7 feet long , not sure my racks are big enough, may have to build another. Between Jesse and I we have them all filled right now except for the big one I made for and Elk, I hate using it because I am high challenged  ;) :) :) :) and it is tough on me to rack one in it, I have to stand on something to work the top. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17778 on: November 29, 2020, 02:53:50 pm »
I was one whooped puppy after that day and week for that matter ???  so I went in at dark for a simple supper and some Grit on TV. Slept well for sure. Hope yall had a good one also.  :)Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #17779 on: November 29, 2020, 03:31:04 pm »
Busy holiday weekend.

What best cure for Hickory Elbow?

Got some bear grease left???

Shawn
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17780 on: November 29, 2020, 05:38:54 pm »
Yep got plenty Shawn, wonder how it would work on hide fleshing shoulders ?  :) :) they say it's good for everything, may give it a try. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #17781 on: November 29, 2020, 07:25:19 pm »
My forefathers kept it their lodges for lots of things. Might be better than the WD40 I been spraying on it?

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #17782 on: November 29, 2020, 08:36:35 pm »
Pappy and Shawn , let me know how that Bear grease works out for ya, I got a bad case of knappers back along with the hide fleshing shoulders. Pappy that 200# looks tuff as ya. I got a great big buck hide the other day and thru it in the bucking barrell for a couple of days and tryed removing the grain today, Tuff, tuff, tuff, new approach rinsed real well and going on a frame and am hoping to dry scrape easier. The 200# in the pic looks short and blocky, maybe photo angle, our northern heavy deer just seem to be longer than blocky. Nice heavy buck either way. We got some snow coming here so deer hunting should get better this week, nothing like a good storm to get them feeding just before it hits. Later Bob :-T

Offline chamookman

« Reply #17783 on: November 30, 2020, 02:07:21 am »
That Big Buck is a Dandy for Sure ! Thanks for sharing Pappy  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17784 on: November 30, 2020, 06:01:45 am »
 You are welcome Bob. ;)Ya we got weather coming in today also, 15/18 mile NW winds/rain and maybe a little sleet and snow so I decided to work on meat inside, ??? ;) :) :)  planning on getting after them tomorrow, wind is supposed to lay and 25 degrees in the morning, should be good, it has been slow around here the last few days, seen a few moving but slow compared to last week, I call it the late November lull. Always happens when the rut starts to wind down, guess they are resting from all that running around. ;) :) Ya Bob he was a tough one for sure and the picture is distorted for some reason, does that sometimes when I turn my camera sideways  :-\ he was long and lanky, hide was almost 7 feet before stretching, like I said just don't see many like that around here, I feel sure the hide will need some thinning also at least around the neck and hips if I want to get it soft. :) A lot of work on a big hide but will be worth it if I get it done right.  :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17785 on: November 30, 2020, 12:35:14 pm »
Pappy I got a lot of catching up to do. Read about the last four pages of life is good. Got a whole bunch more to read to catch up.

Loved your buck story. Isn’t it funny how they always seem to be at the bottom of the gully? Your a good man to have stuck that out. I hate giving up on one I know is dead to.

Nice buck Shawn sorry I missed it before. When I get a chance I have more reading to do.

Glad Life is Still Good.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17786 on: December 01, 2020, 04:08:35 am »
Thanks BJ, Ya it seems they always go to the worst places if the live long enough. ??? Headed down this morning, rain and snow finely quite and wind had laid a bit, it is 25 this morning so they should be moving. Going to hunt a few hours and then back to work up the deer in the cooler, got 2 to work up so it will be a full day. I am staying tonight and hunt in the morning but need to be home fairly early tomorrow, Margaret Ann/Bodhi Wednesday ya know, can't miss that. :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17787 on: December 04, 2020, 05:46:33 am »
Well headed to the cabin for a day or 2, plan on some hunting  and also making jerky, also planning on boiling some deer heads if I can get them thawed out in time. I also have a couple of hides to work but I am afraid it is going to be to damp, got rain most of the day today. ??? I got all my deer processed this week so I am free again, put up 27 lbs more lbs of burger in 2 1/2 lb packs, 7 packs of steak and 8 packs of tender loin 2 lbs each, also got 12 lbs sliced and marinating ,ready for jerky starting today. Going to be a busy weekend,O I keep forgetting every day is Saturday for me and then their is Sunday. ;) :) :) :) Don't know why but still look forward to Friday. :-\  Hope yall have a good one also. Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17788 on: December 04, 2020, 06:27:46 am »
Maybe it’s because you always seem to enjoy Saturday. Glad for you Pappy. Good thing you get that day of rest in there.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17789 on: December 04, 2020, 06:55:58 am »
Yep BJ Sunday is the Good Lords and Miss Joanie’s day.😊 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good