Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4609850 times)

Otis and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #17835 on: December 20, 2020, 02:16:36 pm »
He also brought his match lock, didn't shoot it but he showed me how it worked, pretty cool. Then back on the Hickory staves and a good fire, I think we are up to 18 ready now , between the hides, wood cutting and hickory staves my shoulders are feeling it. :) :)  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17836 on: December 20, 2020, 02:20:34 pm »
Mark jumped in on the Hickory also, I told them if everyone down there that knew how to lay out a bow would do just 1 or 2 we would have them done in no time. Great weekend, little cold and wet but good times all the same. ;) Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #17837 on: December 20, 2020, 03:55:11 pm »
Those baked beans look good!
Shot flintlocks before but never shot a matchlock (Very cool)
Looks like you guys had a good weekend.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #17838 on: December 20, 2020, 04:33:16 pm »
What period is that gun?  You can't go much further back than those.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #17839 on: December 20, 2020, 05:51:17 pm »
That is a TVM rifle, you could get a Kibler kit for about a third less then the TVM gun and have fun putting together, it isn't that hard, a little harder than a Traditions but you end up with a spot on period correct rifle. Everything is CNC, lock stock and barrel and about as perfect as one can get.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17840 on: December 20, 2020, 06:43:32 pm »
I think he said the flint lock was Revolutionary war period and the matchlock something in the 1500's. Not big on guns but I think that is what Matt told me. :) I have a lot of guns but don't shoot them much and to be honest ant very good with them , but this flint lock I think I could get into that. Eric I thought about a kit but after watching you, and you know what you are doing I ant sure I am up to the task. :-\ :-\ Patients is my week suite and it looked like from watching you I would need that, even on my bows, finish work is the worst part for me, once it's shooting I seal it and call it done, or at least that's what I want to do. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #17841 on: December 20, 2020, 08:19:26 pm »
I thought it looked about that period.  It reminded me of the spanish harquebuses I learned about while researching the Battle of Lepanto (1571).

Offline chamookman

« Reply #17842 on: December 21, 2020, 03:03:21 am »
Your in trouble Pappy - those Flinters are addictive  :-M ! Thanks as always  (=) - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17843 on: December 21, 2020, 06:15:49 am »
Ya I can see where they could be Bob, not sure I need another hobby  :-\ but who knows I just might if I find the right deal, I am pretty frugal and all I have seen ant cheap.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #17844 on: December 21, 2020, 07:41:19 am »
Almost all the work is done on a Kibler kit, everything is shaped, all the holes are drilled and barrel dovetails cut, nothing like the build I chronicled a while back where I had to do all the work. There is just a little small chiseling to fit the parts as some of the inlets are slightly undersized.

If Tip Curtis hadn't died you could zip down to his shop in Cross Plains and buy a mighty fine flintlock right off the rack, I felt like his were better than a TVM. I don't think his son carried on with the business.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17845 on: December 24, 2020, 07:11:15 am »
Ya I have heard about his place for years Eric, never been there. I may think about a kit after Christmas, if I do I am sure I will be asking for lots of advice. Now to get ready for Christmas and then after Christmas to the cabin for the week. All my buddies from NY /MI.  aren't coming in this year to hunt and hang out  :( so it will just be me and the Girls, that's OK I will probably hunt some and have several projects going in the shop, about time for some brain tanning, got 2 big hides I want to do first , laid the brains out yesterday,looks like the weather is going to be cold and pretty clear so a good time for tanning. Hope yall have a good one also. ;) Merry Christmas. Life is Good. :)
 Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #17846 on: December 24, 2020, 07:41:31 am »
His shop was a M/L wonderland, any gun, part, and any any kit you could possibly be looking for. All the longrifles were made at his shop, he had his own manufacturing facility.

Offline GlennM

« Reply #17847 on: December 24, 2020, 03:01:02 pm »
Merry Christmas everyone.  May 2021 bring back more normalcy to the world.  Battening down the hatches for a big snowstorm in Western NY.  Let it snow!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17848 on: December 25, 2020, 07:27:57 am »
WOW Eric, wished I could have seen that place. Glenn I am with you on 2021, hope yall make it through the storm OK, I feel sure you will, yall are kind of use to that kind of thing.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #17849 on: December 26, 2020, 06:49:26 am »
Bring that nice new mixer down Pappy. I have to grind a hog butt and seal some burger this mornng. Going to send some of that 75lbs of burger home with Barts Dad.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW