Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4610032 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #17910 on: January 24, 2021, 11:48:38 am »
Like most things he does, he makes art out of it. First big hide sewn up and on the smoker. :) The new set up worked ok but got some uneven smoke so may go back to the old one next time. It done what it need to do to protect the hides just little uneven color. ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17911 on: January 24, 2021, 11:49:40 am »
Gathered more punk wood and another hide smoking. Lots of debarking of Osage going on in the shop, they are making some head way on the fresh pile Shawn brought down. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17912 on: January 24, 2021, 11:52:46 am »
Last hide I had read for smoke and 1 more ready for the brains. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17913 on: January 24, 2021, 11:54:52 am »
I did take time in between smoking to lay out my Hack Berry bow, it is ready to rough in. Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #17914 on: January 24, 2021, 12:22:11 pm »
You have lots of Hedge shavings all over. Be ankle deep putry soon.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline BrianS

« Reply #17915 on: January 24, 2021, 02:08:10 pm »
Pappy,
Love the picture of the finished smoked hide hanging.
take care,
brian

Offline chamookman

« Reply #17916 on: January 25, 2021, 01:34:11 am »
Thanks Pappy - I see a Flinter in Your future, with all the Horns around  :-M ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17917 on: January 25, 2021, 06:31:23 am »
Maybe Bob, been looking around, just to tight to pull the trigger, ??? no pun intended. ;) :) :) Ya Brian folks ask me all the time what I plan on doing with all the hides, I say some to trade some to gift some for projects but mostly just love to see them hanging and laying around the cabin.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #17918 on: January 25, 2021, 08:24:02 am »
Pappy, hides look great, are you only smoking one hide at a time? I usually sew two together and smoke, also I like to smoke on early morning no wind type days. Hide bag doesn't blow around and cause uneven spots, I have one on the cloths line letting ma nature do some stretching on it 14 degree nights and just above freezing days to help loosen up hide  ;D Later Bob

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17919 on: January 26, 2021, 06:49:38 am »
Ya Bob I have done 2 at a time also, usually don't have a lot of trouble with uneven smoke but did some on these, they are smoked good enough to do what the smoke is really supposed to do but I am still brain storming on how to make it look a little more even, may just sew them up and smoke again but really don't want to do that, I hate sewing them up so trying to think of another way, I have seen Jesse when some wasn't even dip them in walnut hulls , it worked great but then you have to dry them again, not sure how I will proceed, may just leave them, kind of like the holes, just give them character. ;) :) :) :) They are just for me anyway and prefect I AM NOT. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #17920 on: January 26, 2021, 09:31:18 am »
Pappy, I hear ya on sewing hides together, I have sewed them , stapled , glued and none of  it was simple. Sewing worked the best but took forever and machine not made for hides, stapling worked pretty good but pain in the arse pulling all the staples out and any condensation makes staple leave a stain on edge of hides, glue leaves a white edge and if kinda fragile for turning hide inside out. I just HATE :( sewing them but it work the best for me . I have also used barbless fish hooks to hold a hide open  that wants to fold in on itself. Raining today so gonna try and bake some bread. :o Bob

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17921 on: January 27, 2021, 07:07:11 am »
Ya I tried all of that also, I just hand sew and it takes time but works pretty good, I also leave the hair ring around the edges, it helps keep the smoke in and you cut it off so usually smoke right to the edge of the good hide, I also use sticks sharpened on the ends to help hold the hide open, it will leave a little spot on the hide but usually don't notice it after the hide is done if sharpened , not sharp enough to punch a hole but pretty sharp and rounded on the tips. Hides are like a piece of wood, they all seem to have their challenges. Got my last hide in it's 3rd brain soaking after the pre smoke, I usually do 4, 2 soaks before the pre smoke and 4 after, should have it ready to work till dry in a day our so, today is Margaret Ann/Bodhi Wednesday so won't have much time to work on it. ;) :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17922 on: February 02, 2021, 08:40:51 am »
Not sure what is going on but will post some stuff when I figure out what has happened, for some reason since the change over it won't let me post pictures from my file, guess I will figure it out sooner or later, I hate computers. ::) ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #17923 on: February 02, 2021, 01:10:33 pm »
The change over has happened? On my end the site looks the same as ever.  It has the same photo size reqs and the same not secure message.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17924 on: February 02, 2021, 03:56:03 pm »
Yes it has happened but I think they have a few glitches in it.  :) Well guess I will try again, spent an hour yesterday posting some picture but for some reason it didn't take, ??? had to do with some PA web site work I think, seems to be working fine today, we will see. Great weekend and got a lot done, didn't know how much until I went through the pictures, hope you enjoy. Bill gifted me some old tools, all they needed was some clean up and handles, I can handle[no pun intended] that. :) :)
Also Bill is reworking and old ax head, handle and clean up. ---Still trying it out, seemed to work on this one. ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good