Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4609705 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #18495 on: November 21, 2021, 04:46:15 pm »
Got my Osage bow tillered , 48@26 also tips and grip finished, it is 57 N-N ridged handle. I think it is going to be a keeper.  ;) We will see after a few hundred shots, pretty short for me but you have to work with what the wood gives you. :) also got the blade Eddie gifted me all shaped and scales cut and ready to fit, just need to heat treat and temper the blade back. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18496 on: November 21, 2021, 04:49:44 pm »
Got my big rasps soften and another knife laid out and ready to work. Also got the finish on my latest knife and stand. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18497 on: November 21, 2021, 04:53:01 pm »
Got a handle ready for my big knife then on to some hide work, Jesse and I got 4 scraped/sanded and off the rack, rolled up and ready to tan when we get time, only 3 more to scrape if no more come in. :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18498 on: November 21, 2021, 04:55:45 pm »
Got the handle and guard fitted and my blade heat treated and tempered back, ready for glue up. Busy weekend but much fun around the fire with good friends. ;) Hope yall had a good one also. Life is good.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18499 on: November 23, 2021, 04:15:52 am »
Thanks as always Pappy. Hope You and the Family have a Blessed Thanksgiving  -C-. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18500 on: November 23, 2021, 06:16:18 am »
Same to you Bob and all my friends here on PA. :) Headed to the woods this morning, 20 degrees out with light NE wind, should be fun, I love a clear cold crisp morning in the woods,something about it's beauty that is hard to compare.  :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18501 on: November 23, 2021, 11:32:19 pm »
Thought it was going to be a good morning and it was.  ;) Story on the hunting thread if anyone is interested.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18502 on: November 26, 2021, 07:58:28 am »
Heading to the cabin this morning for a few days, May hunt tomorrow but got lots planned, making jerky/doing a euro. mount for Beau's buck, racking my doe hide and some knife work so I should stay busy. The weather has turned much colder and wind is up, rut is winding down so should be a good weekend to work in the kitchen and shop by the fire, I use to love cold weather while hunting, the colder the better but not so much any more, guess my blood is getting thinner as I am getting older. :-\ Hope yall have a good one also. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18503 on: November 28, 2021, 05:56:16 pm »
Great weekend, didn't do any hunting but got a lot done around the kitchen and shop.Very nice weather, cool and calm, prefect for working in the shop and around the camp fire. Few pictures. Got my latest knife handle all glued up/shaped and ready for finish also got all the stuff together for it's stand. Got my doe all boned out and draining, ready to cut up for Jerky. I always soak it in ice water a couple of days and then let it drain at least a day before cutting up. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18504 on: November 28, 2021, 06:02:32 pm »
Stand and knife finished all but a little sanding and sealer. In between projects I Euro mounted Beau's deer head and another for a good friend, I have time to do them because it is a lot of waiting when boiling and i hate waiting so I do other things while I am waiting on them to boil. After an hour or so of boiling I always remove the noise and jaw pieces and then replace them like a puzzle after the head is clean, if you don't remove them you can loose them in the boiling water and the head looks better with them in it I think.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18505 on: November 28, 2021, 06:06:53 pm »
Heads cleaned and ready for a little bleaching then mounting on some old barn wood from the farm. Knife and stand finished and sealed.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18506 on: November 28, 2021, 06:13:12 pm »
I also took a little time and heat treated and tempered back my next blade, this is the one Eddie gifted me, also fitted the scales, it is ready to pin and glue up. I got my doe's hide fleshed and racked in between other things  ;) I think it will make a good hide but after fleshing you could tell she has had a tough life, lots of scares on her back and neck, we will see how it looks when I get the hair off, if nothing else it will make some good rawhide for projects.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18507 on: November 28, 2021, 06:24:21 pm »
Late Saturday a good friend Mark 2 I call him came in with a nice buck, it was his first Trad Kill, congrats Mark. He killed it with an old 68 model Bear re curve Miss Joanie bought at a yard sale 15/20 years ago for $25.00. Mark seen it and wanted it bad, I told him it wasn't for sale, he finely made me an offer I couldn't refuse, a 10 foot Jon boat with trailer and all the additives. I never shot it and am glad it found a good home and is doing what it was made to do. :) :) My girls just relaxing at the fire after a long day and no the beer in the picture ant theirs . ;) :) :) :) I got my meat all sliced up and in the marinate , plan on putting it in the dehydrator in the morning , got over 20 lbs to do and should make 7/8 lbs of jerky when it is done. Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18508 on: November 29, 2021, 04:02:28 am »
Really like those Euro Mounts Pappy, thanks for sharing  (=) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18509 on: November 29, 2021, 08:08:11 am »
You bet Bob, enjoying doing them.  :)Now to the cabin this morning to dry out some jerky.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good