Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4609801 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #18510 on: November 30, 2021, 04:55:31 pm »
Got my Jerky all done, about 10 lbs so that should last a while. The last few days have been prefect for hide work, cool, sunshine and very low humidity. Got 2 scraped and sanded, ready to tan and 2 more racked up, 1 medium doe and 1 large buck. Been a good week so far . Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18511 on: December 05, 2021, 01:17:55 pm »
Great weekend, didn't see many deer but had a lot of fun in the shop and around the fire. Kind of more of the same and if yall get tired of my pictures just say so, seems all down at the cabin goes in cycles , with a few odds and ends thrown in, right now it is mostly hides and knife work.
New knife ready to finish, had a small issue with a hump in the blade but will work it out when i do the final sharping. 2 more hides in scrolls and ready to tan and 2 in the rack, getting them scrapped. Still a little soft so I put some streaks in them to help them dry quicker.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18512 on: December 05, 2021, 01:22:04 pm »
Dan, a good friend came in with a dozen arrows just my weight and spine so I traded him 2 dozen raw shafts for these, I went right to work tuning them and putting on points and heads. Also got the blade issue worked out on my knife and it is ready to finish sand and seal. :) the scales are Leopard wood, just beautiful wood. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18513 on: December 05, 2021, 01:33:35 pm »
Got my Osage bow all finished tiller ed, 48@26 and shot it 30/40 shots, I will have to say for 57 n-n it is smooth and shoots really fast and hits where I Aim, it may be my new favorite bow. ;) :) Another 100 shots or so will tell the story but for now it is sweet. Got all my jerky sealed up and ready for later use, also helped Mark 2 cut up/grind and package his buck, I enjoy doing them and I Think he appreciated the help. Shawn left the cabin Friday evening and hadn't been gone 20 minutes and showed back up with a huge road killed doe, just hit in front of him, well sometimes these can be a mess but this one was almost all un harmed, we skinned and bone it out in a flash and now we have more meat to process.  :) :) waste not want not, ;) we are going to process and package it and give it to and elderly woman friend that could really use and appreciate it.  :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 01:52:16 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18514 on: December 05, 2021, 01:37:52 pm »
We had 6 loads of gravel hauled in for the roads and camping/parking areas, man has the cost of that went up. ??? ::) as usual we are anticipating a wet Classic  ??? ;) ;) so trying to make our life and those that attend less miserable. :) It looks really good now, may need a couple more loads before Spring but for now we got most everything we wanted to covered.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18515 on: December 05, 2021, 01:46:30 pm »
Also had a friend drop off a big Mullberry log, it is a nice log and should make several stave's. My girls just checking out the gravel work, then a nice supper of home made soup, biscuits and smoked baloney from Chuck. Thanks Chuck it was great. Also trying to figure out what to put on my new bow, Timber rattler or Sturgeon skin I got from Weylin, never done Sturgeon before but guess I won't learn any younger, I think you treat them kind of like rawhide, any suggestions would be appreciated ??  :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 02:12:55 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18516 on: December 05, 2021, 01:49:20 pm »
Got a little flute in the works for Margaret Ann, the one Jesse made her is a little larger for her right now, got it making noise but needs a little tweaking, this will fit her hands much better if I can get it playing. Hope yall had a good one also.  ;)Life is good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #18517 on: December 05, 2021, 05:41:20 pm »
Pappy,
Always enjoy your posts and pictures. Thank you for taking the time to do it.
Take care,
brian

Offline Otis

« Reply #18518 on: December 05, 2021, 06:54:20 pm »
I enjoy the pictures.  Keep them coming.

David

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18519 on: December 06, 2021, 06:47:49 am »
Keep the Pics coming Pappy, always a GREAT way to start My week ! Those Arrows turned out real nice also. Thanks - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Patches

« Reply #18520 on: December 06, 2021, 09:16:00 am »
Pappy, your pictures are the one thing I got to look forward to on Monday mornings.  Thank you for sharing them!

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18521 on: December 07, 2021, 08:19:47 am »
Thanks guys, glad you enjoy. Now to the cabin to process a deer.  :) By the way spent a long day at Vanderbilt yesterday trying to figure out what is going on with my hearing, lots of test to see if I qualify for inplants , I was border line on left ear 70% hearing loss and a little better in right 60% so after all the testing I have hearing aids ordered , hope they will help, haven't been able to hear well for several years but the last few I truly can't hear hardly anything, hope to be able to hear yall again by the Classic. ;) :) :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18522 on: December 10, 2021, 08:24:38 am »
Headed to the cabin for a few days, looks like a warm stormy weekend so I plan on working on my Osage bow, going to put the sturgeon skins on today and see how that goes and maybe a few other projects while the glue dries. ??? I did hunt Wednesday and Thursday, had some close encounters Wednesday, 4 doe right under me at 5 yards but as any one that has done this much, I just couldn't move to get a shot, then a small 6 point came in the same area, pretty cool watching him react to where the does had been.Thursday the woods were dead, seen 1 big fox squirrel and 2 grey squirrels and 1 bird but the morning was well worth it ,It was the most beautiful sunrise i believe I have ever seen, started small and just grew as the sun rose, then went away about as quick, just beautiful to see. :) made my day deer or no deer. Hope yall have a good weekend also. Life is good. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18523 on: December 12, 2021, 05:54:11 pm »
Great weekend, not much hunting, kind of hot and stormy around here as I guess yall have heard :)  so i got lots of time in the shop. Got my Sturgeon skins on and trimmed up, got last 2 knives finished and stands made, got a coon hide brain tanned and dried and also boiled a Coyote head , it is one Dave [Otis] killed here a year on 2 ago, lots of time around the fire with friends, nobody was hunting because of the weather so they just came a hung out with me, love it. Finish on last 2 knives and my bow and skins prepped and ready to glue down.
 PAPPY
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 06:14:20 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18524 on: December 12, 2021, 05:56:38 pm »
First stand started for one of the knives and skins glued up and now just waiting for them to get good and dry, wasn't near as bad as i figured it would be, just about the same as adding rawhide.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good