Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4611291 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #18525 on: December 12, 2021, 06:01:04 pm »
Shawn showed up to do some tweaking on an Osage bow he is working on. Got both stands finished for my knives, all they need is sealing and then back strap for Dinner  ;) :) some call it lunch but I was raised that dinner was noon  ;) Lunch was something you took to school in a bag. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18526 on: December 12, 2021, 06:05:07 pm »
The second knife stand has a deer toe bone for it's stop, sure to get some questions on that one. :) Coon skin ready to brain tan. Bow over dehumidifier in the cabin to dry. Getting Coyote head ready to boil.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18527 on: December 12, 2021, 06:13:07 pm »
Yot head finished , turned out nice, Coon skin finished and it turned out surprisingly well, I haven't had real good luck getting hair on hides good and soft brain tanning but this one I really took my time stretching and pulling until good and dry and it turned out nice. My girls just enjoying the fire before the storm. By the way got the skins all trimmed up and looking good, ready to seal them this coming week. Hope yall had a good one also and all safe from the storms, they were really bad in places , we were Blessed to have missed the worst.  Life is Good. :) :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 06:16:43 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18528 on: December 13, 2021, 04:16:37 am »
We had BIG Winds Saturday and Sunday, lots of Power Outages. Really like the Fish Skins - better than Snake Skins in My opinion Thanks as always Pappy  (=) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18529 on: December 14, 2021, 06:11:30 am »
Thanks Bob, I put a coat of Tru Oil sealer on yesterday and like the way they are turning out, although this one really didn't need the protection on the back these skins will provided some. Headed to the woods this morning, went yesterday and it was beautiful and the deer were moving well in the early morning, the 2nd rut should be coming in so we will see what the day holds, I can only kill a doe but the bucks on the prowl should get them moving. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18530 on: December 16, 2021, 06:31:26 am »
Guess the deer didn't get the memo about the 2nd rut  ??? haven't seen a deer the last 2 days, lots of turkey and squirrels , they have been on in force but no deer.Should be squirrel hunting. ??? :-\  Was going this morning but it 60 + and winds from the south 10 to 21 mph and supposed to get worse,so decided to stay in and do my Christmas letters. I don't do gifts, just a letter and of course some cash. ;) :) :) :) Also got to go and watch Margaret Ann preform today in her first Christmas play, you know PapPap can't miss that. :) Still got another couple of weeks to hunt and plan on staying at the cabin the week after Christmas so still got plenty of time. The long range forecast looks good for that week. My buddies and of course Gary usually comes down that week but looks like that ant going to happen this year  :( so looks like just me and the girls, good quite week, a man needs that once in a while also. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18531 on: December 17, 2021, 07:51:17 am »
Headed to the cabin, looks like a warm/windy /rainy weekend until Sunday, then turning much colder, if you don't like the weather in Tennessee just hang out a few days . :) I got plenty to do in the shop so that's my plan, bows and knives  ;) we also have a meeting Saturday morning, last of the year and will be good to catch up with some of my buddies. Can't believe it is almost Christmas and 2022 WOW where does time go. Remember the reason for the season  :) :)  and hope you have a great weekend. Life is good. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GlennM

« Reply #18532 on: December 17, 2021, 02:09:33 pm »
We sure miss coming down.  I talk with Davey often but we haven't heard from Chuckie since the summer. We will go out for a holiday dinner with them at some point next week.   Lots of things going on here that are taking my time in different directions.  I'm looking forward to having my daughter home from college for a few weeks.  We are going to shoot a bunch of archery and try to get out on a new deer hunt our DEC established during Christmas week.  She starts rotations for Physician Assistant school in the spring and will be very tied up.  We are cherishing this time we have to spend with her.  We will sure miss the time spend in the hollow with you and Gary.  They are some of my most prized memories.  We still laugh about the time spend at LBL.  Love Mike McGuire's line once.  "If you can shoot over the deer, they ain't too far."  Merry Christmas to you and your family. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18533 on: December 19, 2021, 04:33:56 pm »
Miss yall also Glenn , as yes I have some very good memories of all those years. Great but very wet weekend, spent most of my time in the shop working on my Osage bow and a couple more knives, we also had a good meeting Saturday and got to see some old friends that I haven't seen in a while, very good catching up. :) Started another knife, actually started it and finished it over the weekend.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18534 on: December 19, 2021, 04:38:04 pm »
Got my Osage bow finished tillering , a few tweaks and it looks and shoots very good, now for a little writing  and seal it up.  :) These pictures don't do the skins justice, they really pop. I think a few more coats of tru oil and then a couple of satin poly to kill the shine will do the trick. ;) Also had a couple of my grinders go out so I replaced them with some I have had in waiting for a while. The Blue point I have had for 30 + years , just never used it much, it will get some use now. The other one Joe York gave me 8 or 10 years ago, it has been in a box but now it's time to put it to work, I miss Old Joe. :(
 Pappy
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 04:41:34 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18535 on: December 19, 2021, 04:43:46 pm »
Shawn showed up working on another Osage and I got my blade all tapered/ shaped and handle fitted, ready to heat treat and temper the blade. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18536 on: December 19, 2021, 04:45:53 pm »
Blade heat treated and tempered,vinegar etched /cleaned and glued up.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18537 on: December 19, 2021, 04:50:56 pm »
Stand started for the new knife, base made of Walnut I cut on the farm 10 years ago, beautiful wood. Then our meeting and all the guys just hanging out and telling stories [ Lots of Bull also] My girls just resting and taking it all in by the fire in their favorite spot. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18538 on: December 19, 2021, 04:59:03 pm »
Stand finished with 5 coats of satin poly, Will doing some napping, turned out a nice blade Saturday evening. ;) My next knife blade cut out and ready to start and my Osage with another coat of tru oil [7th coat] and in the cabin to dry over night. I brought it home this morning for Miss Joanie to do the writing on it and hope to have it ready to head to the woods by the week after Christmas. The scales on the skin are hard to cover and get smooth so it will take several more coats of tru oil with buffing in between before i will be satisfied with the finish. :)Hope yall had a good one also. :) Life is Good. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18539 on: December 20, 2021, 03:53:41 am »
That Fish Bow is lookin' NICE ! Thanks as always Pappy  (=) - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.