Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 3195329 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #17130 on: January 21, 2020, 07:14:00 am »
Not sure Chief but it really smells sweet unlike most of the fat on our deer here in Middle TN. Yes Kevin, I get it to red and non magnetic and quench in Veggie oil , then in the oven 375 for 2 hours, I know it is not as precise as you do but it seems to get the blade where it holds a good edge skates a file  but not so hard so it's brittle. Thanks for answering DC's question and it also looks cool. ;) :) And the wood for the scales is Leopard wood .  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #17131 on: January 21, 2020, 05:34:10 pm »
pappy
ok your heating to critical in the coals.
I thought you were tempering..
I can see how what your doing could work very well,
heating the steel slowly in those coals you probably don't end up with much warping.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #17132 on: January 22, 2020, 04:55:32 am »
Watch out! If the club ladies find out they will be making cosmetics and soaps and candles out of the stuff. Could put a big strain on your supply.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17133 on: January 22, 2020, 06:43:12 am »
 :) I doubt any of the ladies in our bunch would be interested in doing that Chief  ;) Especially Miss Joanie. ;)Several of us take this stuff pretty serious but most of the women could care less, Miss Joanie says she loves and supports me because I love it  ??? and that is the only reason.  ;) Thanks Kevin, it seems to work OK but for sure not as precise as you do them and no I don't get much warping. I really need a good forge but we are still working out issues on the one we built and also it is a gas hog so for now I just use what I have.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17134 on: January 22, 2020, 02:56:17 pm »
looks like lots going on Pappy. I never turn down deer either. I was given two does right before I was going out New Years Eve. I thought I might get in trouble with the wife being a little late after skinning and gutting them but she was happy to have the deer.

Pretty cool your buddy got that doe with that bow. Kinda full circle.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise