Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 3129841 times)

Herm from Bavaria and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #16995 on: December 05, 2019, 04:06:23 am »
Good luck Dave, ya I had a great day in the woods, seen a couple of does and a spike maybe 40 yards but it was just a beautiful morning and then get home to Margaret Ann is always a blessing. You are welcome Chief, let me know what you think. I am headed to the wood in a little bit before the bad weather hits again Friday, today looks to be beautiful here in Tennessee,not so much next week. :o
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Otis

« Reply #16996 on: December 05, 2019, 09:04:26 am »
I got done early at work today.  Headed to the stand here in a couple of hours for an evening sit.  It's gorgeous here today.  Clear and sunny with a 30 degree temp. right now.  Suppose to get up in the low 40's.  Regardless if any deer are sighted I'll enjoy the day.

David

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #16997 on: December 05, 2019, 09:53:49 am »
Hey Pappy. These were accidentally tenderloins, not backstrapes. I went ahead with the marinade anyway cause I had some chicken to cook also. They won't sit overnight but I will cook them over coals. I'll post the results this evening. I will try the backstraps next time.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #16998 on: December 06, 2019, 05:36:22 am »
Well, tasty but even these were tough. I did something wrong in handling I am sure. I did not think I could mess up the inside tenderloins but I have done it. I should have let them age a bit before freezing. What do you think, Pappy, or others.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #16999 on: December 06, 2019, 05:40:10 am »
I did not men to hijack the thread. Great recipe Pappy. I will be more attentive of details in the future.

Offline Deerhunter21

• No grudges held, just lessons learned
« Reply #17000 on: December 06, 2019, 07:13:17 am »
Maybe pound the little suckers before wrapping them. but those look very very tasty!
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money." Cree Native-American Proverb

A amature practices untill he gets it right. A master practices untill he never gets it wrong.

Russell - 15 years

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17001 on: December 06, 2019, 08:02:22 am »
If your deer was in rigor mortis when you cut it up everything will be tough. I learned this when I picked up a road killed fawn I saw hit by a car in from of me. I was in Tn, took it directly to Bama and cut it up, it was as stiff as a board. Toughest deer I ever ate, it might have weighed 30# field dressed.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #17002 on: December 06, 2019, 09:10:48 am »
If this issue persists with this deer, I will be tenderizing before cooking or using a cooking method that makes it tender. Pounding will be used for sure. I dressed this deer on site. They are all pretty stiff when I butcher parts before taking it to a processor where it ages at temperature for  few days before butchering. The rigor thing makes some since. Thanks Deerslayer and Eric

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #17003 on: December 06, 2019, 09:11:43 am »
OOps. I meant Deerhunter.

Offline HedgeHunter

« Reply #17004 on: December 07, 2019, 08:40:22 am »
Yep if your pour the heat to any deer meat it will get tough. It also continues to cook a bunch after its been off heat. I always take that into consideration.

The other thing I have found , deer meat must be eaten while warm if it rests til cool it tightens up a great deal. When serving it it is the last to go on serving plate. All sides are hot a ready to serve. Then, deer steak or loin is served to its desired level of color. also if you cut a deer lion to check color it will release all the moisture in that section making it dry by time it on plate and eaten.

I like mine cooked 1/8th" on each side then 1/8th" pink and the middle still running thru the brambles.

try this some time take a lion steak 1 3/4" thick cook it as above and take it off heat. Put it on plate then in just a few minutes there after cut it. It'll be medium rare.

I know most you fella's know this as you eat plenty wild deer/elk etc.

looks good to me either way RID

HH~
Energetically Will I meet the enemies of my country.

Red River Country
Tennessee

Offline paulc

« Reply #17005 on: December 07, 2019, 05:43:57 pm »
I cook all mine long and slow, low heat. And I usually add some kind of extra moisture like a can of tomatoes or something....fwiw