Author Topic: Quit Smoking Support Group  (Read 18234 times)

Offline DanaM

Quit Smoking Support Group
« on: February 08, 2010, 08:56:06 am »
Thought I would start a new topic for anyone wanting to quit smoking :)

It'll be a month for me in a few days and its unbelievable the changes in my body already I have more energy, breathing is 200% improved,
appetite is a little too good ;) heck I'm even in a better mood these days ;D I consider myself a non-smoker now!!!
So if your thinking of quitting take it from a guy that smoked for 40+ years that you won't be sorry and if I can quit so can you :)

We will all be here for you and cheering you on eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Parnell

Re: Quit Smoking Support Group
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 10:18:00 am »
I smoked for awhile but kicked it early on.  I suppose for a short time I was on about a pack a day but I always liked exercise too and hated the way it made me feel.

I've always enjoyed it, but I like my lungs at full power even more.

Is your sense of smell improving yet Dana?  My father couldn't believe how much his sense of smell improved after about 40 years of smoking, as well.
1’—>1’

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 10:36:30 am »
Sure is Parnell, I can smell a brownie at 100 yards ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 11:26:48 am »
keep up the good work dana you are doing great
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 11:38:12 am »
DanaM.  Did you use any kind of meds to help you stop or just cold turkey.  I sure wished I could beat the habit

radius

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 11:58:07 am »
Dana said the key words:  "consider myself a nonsmoker"

until you change your self image from "smoker who wishes he could quit" to "nonsmoker" you will not succeed.   

I smoked heavily for almost 15 years, and tried and failed many times to kick the habit.  But about 15 years ago now (January 19, 1996) I managed to convince myself that, somehow (doesn't matter how!) all of a sudden, i was a non smoker.

Have not had a single cigarette since.

Not that i don't smoke...after all, I AM from BC!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 12:17:58 pm »
If I quit smoking, RJ Reynolds would have to lay off 13 employees......
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 01:10:02 pm »
In the past I've tried the gum, the patch, Welbutrin and Chantix and never quit this time I'm cold turkey.
Like radius siad its all mental, you have to want it. I got up one morning (Jan 11th) and just said to myself today is the day I'm a non-smoker :)

Manistique, MI

Grunt

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 04:38:31 pm »
I tried for years to quit with no results. I went to a shrink and she had me put my cigarettes in a metal box with a lock along with a journal. I had the key to the box around my neck on a string and when I wanted to smoke I had to write down the number of the cigarette of that day and why I wanted to smoke it in the journal. Everything was OK until I went fishing. I was carrying my tackle box, two rods, bait can, cigarette box, and a couple of beers. I had to scramble down some rock fill to get to where I wanted to fish. To make a long story short I was carrying so much stuff I slipped, busted my behind pretty good and my tackle box went into the drink. I got so mad I threw my rods in after it and that damn cigarette box in after my rods.  I kept the beers. Haven't smoked since.   

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 04:51:23 pm »
 Grunt.. I can picture you sitting there drinking those beers and contemplating ;D ;D ;D busted ass and all :'(  I quit about eight years ago.. best thing I ever did..  I just quit cold turkey and never looked back.." you gotta wanna!" good on you Dana.. better send me some of those brownies if you find any..LOL
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 05:20:13 pm »
The way I quit smoking cigarettes was, I had the flu real bad and felt awful. I was going to stop smoking until it went away. But I forced myself to smoke and it made me feel so much sicker on top of the flu that I associated the waves of nausea with smoking cigarettes ever since. Took one day.
Living a dream...

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 06:34:57 pm »
I've never been a smoker and had good reason to never try. My grandfather died when I was 9 months old from lung cancer from smoking cigarettes. He was a dairy farmer on the eastern shore of MD, boat builder and master craftsman. I never really knew him but grew up seeing the things he had made and who he had been.

He was a self taught woodworker, making plenty of furniture and other small items I saw growing up. He was even commissioned to make a scale model of the HMS Brilliant tobacco trading ship to be displayed in the Museum of American History at the Smithsonian. He is the reason I got interested in woodworking and now it's one of the most enjoyable things I do.

At times I truly regretted not being able to learn from and build with my grandfather. Knowing how I felt to not have this chance I chose very early on that there was no way I would make that same mistake; I want to be around to play with my future grandchildren.

I guess everyone needs to find their own reason for quitting, something that is more important for them. I guess I was fortunate enough to find my reason early.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline JustAim

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 08:46:47 pm »
I've been smoking menthol cigarettes for the past 15 years now and my lungs are begging me to quit...just can't seem to get it done :(
I think the only way I'm gonna quit is to hire some 300 pound street fighter to follow me around all day and punch me across the face everytime I reach for a pack.

Everyone tells me the best way to quit smoking is to stop buying them...easier said then done.   

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 09:46:12 pm »
The deciding to quit part is easy.  The staying quit part is a sonofabisquit.  I quit ten years ago.  Finding something to do with your hands helps heaps.  I took up knapping.  Bill

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 10:03:39 pm »
             If You don't want to Quit 100%...then You are just Spinning Your Wheels...Cause it won't Happen... Truthfully       
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome