Author Topic: Quit Smoking Support Group  (Read 18217 times)

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
Re: Quit Smoking Support Group
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 03:39:37 am »
Yep, you gotta want it for yourself, and not just to keep other people happy, I've found.  Ten years ago, I could smoke a pack a day and still run four miles in thirty minutes, then six years ago, I got bronchitis and kept smoking right through it.  Lungs haven't been quite the same since, but I still didn't quit for good until three and a half years ago.  I finally asked myself why I was trying so hard to kill myself.  Haven't smoked since June 06.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 07:51:27 am »
Good stories guys but ya it has to be your choice and you have to want it :)

Never quit quitting guys:)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

vtclimber

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 10:34:52 pm »
Been wanting to quit for years now. Been smoking for 20. One of these days I suppose. The few times I did "quit", I had to stop drinking coffee as well.........to hell with the smokes, I NEED MY COFFEE IN THE MORNING  ;D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 08:15:10 am »
1 month today as a non-smoker ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 08:25:30 am »
You got it now Dana...ain't no looking back now...the Body is all over the Addiction...it's in the Mind now
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 09:22:06 am »
What mind Mike ??? ;) :D

Manistique, MI

Offline cracker

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 10:04:33 am »
Good going Dana, I quit dipping 5 years ago when I quit dip was like candy now I can hardly stand the smell of it.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Grunt

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 01:48:19 pm »
All you go to do is get it in your head that you want to not smoke more than you want to smoke.
I quit cold turkey after my fishing experience. The hardest thing was loosing that sense of ceremony that occurs when you light up. Resting from the labors of the day and smoking at the same time was a small ceremony for me. I replaced it with work, work, work, and I ended up making a lot more stuff. It was ok because I like to make stuff.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 08:26:43 pm »
Thanks Ronnie :)
Grunt yer exactly right I got up one morning and decided I was a non-smoker eh :)

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 10:18:46 pm »
I quit dipping yeeeeears ago...and the Smell of a Can of Copenhagen...still makes me want a Dip....but I won't do it...because I know that I would relapse as soon as I did......... :-\
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 01:09:45 am »
i quit about 4 weeks ago after smoking for 23+ years.
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline DanaM

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 08:03:32 am »
i quit about 4 weeks ago after smoking for 23+ years.

Feels good don't it :) Congrats

Manistique, MI

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 11:24:07 am »
I grew up in east Tennessee, almost all the young men in my generation smoked. I started picking up butts on the side of the road and smoking them when I was 10 or 11, by the time I was 16 I was a pack a day smoker.

Back then there were cigarette machines everywhere and this where all us underage guys bought our smokes. When I was 16 a pack cost 25 cents. One day they raised the price to the absurd level of 27cents a pack. You would put 30 cents in the machine, it didn't make change, there would be three pennies change packaged inside the cellophane of a pack. Bet some of you young guys couldn't imagine that.

Anyway, 27 cents for a pack of smokes, totally outrageous. I got so mad about the price increase I quit buying them and actually quit smoking over a 2 cent jump in price. Believe it or not, that was a huge price increase at the time. I saw gas for sale at 17cents a gallon during the same time frame.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:38:51 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 11:33:31 am »
Damn you are an Old One ...Eric......... :P..I remember Premium Gas at $.36 a Gallon....Milk was $1.15 a Gallon...and a pack of Smokes was $.30 a pack...and about $2.95 a Carton....and I am 52.........but then Tennessee has about the Lowest Excise Tax on Cigarettes in the USA.....$.20 a Pack...compared to Michigan's $2.00 a pack....and Texas' $1.65 a Pack..... :o
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 12:10:55 pm »
I just saw this thread.  I just quit dipping about 3 weeks ago.  Got me some mint snuff and that really helps.  It was hard about the first week but now its not to bad. But as El D said if I smell Cope it makes me want to dip. But I dont because I am done. No relapses here.

Tell
Tell Riley