Author Topic: Book recommendation - Dies the Fire  (Read 8378 times)

Offline StevenT

Book recommendation - Dies the Fire
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:01:21 am »
I hope this is the right spot for this. I know there was a thread on this book at one time, but I couldn't find it. I have about a 20 - 30 minute communite to and from work. The way I deal with traffic is to listen to audio books. That way, if the traffic is bad, I don't care because I have my coffee and am listening to a good story. It if takes a few minutes longer to get to work... that's OK with me. From that previous thread, Dies the Fire by S.M. Sterling was recommended as a good book. I ordered it and am listening to it now. I would say I am about half way through and I have to say.... Whomever it was that recommended this book, thank you. It is an outstanding book. Heaven forbid we ever have to resort back to "survival mode", but if we did I would sure hope to be closer to some of the people here on PA. The skills learned and practiced here are what would be the difference between living and not living. I echo the thoughts from the previous thread... If you haven't read this book, you should. It is a great read and I can see me  buying the rest of the series.  If you know of other books as good as this, I am always looking for new authors and recommendations.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
Re: Book recommendation - Dies the Fire
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 03:55:14 pm »
I was the guy who posted that thread. Yes, it's an awesome book series. I'm glad you're enjoying it.
Living a dream...

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 06:23:05 pm »
its very good.  though, if you like the first three in that series, i wouldnt really suggest the next series of books.  while good, they arent the same..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 07:43:45 pm »
I've read the entire thing, every one of them. Granted, the first three are the best. But the others were good, too---just my opinion.
Living a dream...

Offline StevenT

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 08:31:36 pm »
Tsalagi, you made a great recommendation. You aand  aero86 answered my next question which would have been what about the rest of the series. Since ya'll to care of that one, I'll try a different one. Have either of you tried the Sea of Time series.

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 10:31:57 pm »
i havent.  i just got one of his short books, ice, iron, and gold.  has a short in it set in the dies the fire universe.  cant wait to read.  though it sounds like a good book throughout.  i thought about writing some fiction, but i dont like long stories..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:47:08 am »
sounds like i need to get it. im one of the 4 teenagers left in the world that actually read lol.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:59:29 am »
I'll have to check those out.  I was trying to recall what of his I had read, and upon looking it up, it must be some of his short stories in the "Warworld" and "Man-Kzin Wars" series.  I've read much more from authors he collaborates with than his stuff.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline aero86

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 12:03:44 am »
ill say something though, the end product is much different, but i think he got his idea from a story called Ariel.  was written a while before dies the fire

Offline StevenT

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 11:04:18 am »
Is Ariel a book and if so, is it as good as DtF?

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 01:08:03 pm »
by the way, im pretty sure i spelled it right.  its a post apocalyptic book.  just search for it on amazon, youll have to skip past some disney stuff haha.  but it was written in 1983 and the world "changed"  thats pretty much the only similarity.  good read though if you like those kind of books.  i do.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 06:33:06 pm »
man yall got me wanting to go get those things. i love the post end of the world stuff.
lets just shoot it

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 08:59:04 pm »
i do too recurve shooter.  amazon is your friend.   the road is a good book.  ill have to look through my selection of books to see what ive read lately.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 10:29:41 pm »
awsome. if that scenario ever came up guys like us would rule the world!!! >:D
lets just shoot it

Offline StevenT

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 10:57:27 am »
Recurve... if you haven't read Dies the Fire, you will love it. If I didn't know better, I would say research for this book was done at the Tennessee Classic.