Author Topic: Finish for backed bow?  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Finish for backed bow?
« on: February 09, 2010, 04:33:11 pm »
I need some ideas or pics of some options for rawhide backed osage bow. One of my favorite osage bows started to lift a ring (thin ringed) so I backed it with rawhide. I thought if I finish with clear that it will be to white, an I don,t really want to snakeskin it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Finish for backed bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:45:10 pm »
Depending on the rawhide and the finish the rawhide may turn translucent which will show the wood color underneath.
The bow below is rawhide backed and I used craft paint from wally world for the design. Then a few coats of Tru-Oil.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 06:46:39 pm »
Pat I knew you would have some pics, sharp looking bow. I'm thinking of using some leather stain an maybe a sponge camo type pattern, or maybe just plain an hope for the transluscent look. There are a few of the transluscent spots now but mostly white.  Thanks Again Bob

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 12:00:52 am »
Bob, I have all kinds of diferant colors of leather dye. I can bring them to the club with me tomarrow if you want.  :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 05:01:32 am »
Actually, the TBB says translucent calf rawhide - considered to be best for backings in the old days - may have never existed, which is wrong. It's not even difficult to find, AND it's probably really the best you can use: translucent calf rawhide is being used for Timpany heads.

Pat, that's one nice bow there...!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 01:54:27 am by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 10:57:35 pm »
Bob
I thought I read in an old post about staining rawhide with coffee.  This might just be my imagination, but it sounds like a good idea.  I used Feibings leather dye on a rawhide backed kids bow that I made for my son.  I liked the way it looked, it still kind of looked opaque, but much darker.
Traverse City, MI