Author Topic: flu flu fletching  (Read 20901 times)

Offline aero86

Re: flu flu fletching
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 01:33:10 pm »
ok, cool.  i was gonna try it anyways!  but just wanted some reassurance.  saves me lots of feathers too.  at least ten so far.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 03:20:49 pm »
Yeah, i like the wrap around ones too, they are just so easy to make.
45# at 27"

Offline aero86

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 03:49:57 pm »
so, last question, what length of shaft and wrap spacing would be best for 20-30 yard arrow?  guesstimate..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 04:03:32 pm »
I usually use a wrap space of about 1/4" and use them on my standard arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Louie

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 04:51:12 am »
Old post, but worth a revival. I was walking on the beach the other day and randomly collected a bunch of seagull feathers. They've been lying around because they're a bit on the soft side for fletching, and this morning I got a bee in my bonnet to make some flu flus. Split them, sanded the quills down nice n thin and spiral wrapped em. 2 feathers per arrow, one black, one white with white nocks. Came out great, fly beautifully and the best part is they never cost a cent. So there you have it, no need to buy Turkey feathers, just go for a stroll on the beach with the Mrs and you'll score brownie points and free flu flus.
One of the greatest paradoxes of your physical senses, is that your eyes actually show you what you believe, not what you see.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 07:19:11 am »
Those feathers are illegal to possess!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 07:58:57 am »
Seagulls are on the protected list.  Your free fletching could end up costing you thousands of dollars. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 11:09:50 am »
That protected list is pretty long, but "if you can't hunt them, you can't use them" for anything is a good rule of thumb! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 11:36:38 am »
By all means, keep taking walks with the misses all the same.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2018, 06:22:52 am »
The spiral uses less feathers but it doesn't last as long and the single pieces get bent and broken a lot easier.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Louie

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 01:44:04 pm »
All good guys, seagulls feathers aren't illegal here where I am. Beaches are stunning....so is the MRS!
One of the greatest paradoxes of your physical senses, is that your eyes actually show you what you believe, not what you see.