Author Topic: Bow Hunting Accident - Rather Graphic Pictures  (Read 31701 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Bow Hunting Accident - Rather Graphic Pictures
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 07:57:19 am »
I am just wondering what they used to fill the hole back up?   ;D ??? ;D ???

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 08:00:31 am »
I am just wondering what they used to fill the hole back up?   ;D ??? ;D ???

Wouldn't be surprised they used the same piece after cleansing.
Frank from Germany...

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 11:20:29 am »
i agree with what pappy said. how can anyone mistake a man for a deer? especially when bow hunting, because even with a compound you still got to be within thirty or fourty yards.

well i guess we cant really know what was going through the guy's head so kinda cant judge but im gladd his hunting buddie survived, cuz we can all see what was goin through his head.  :o
lets just shoot it

Offline aero86

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 12:20:33 pm »
if it were me id wanna keep that piece with the arrowhead stuck in it
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 01:09:42 pm »
Nice shot,can't say much for pentration tho. ;) I have always heard never shoot for the head. ;) :)
 now I know why. :) Just kidding,that's bad and it is hard for me to believe anyone could mistake a man for a game  animal. He must have been hunting with a real dummy. :) I would find me a new hunting buddy. :)   
   Pappy

I believe it.  When I was a kid living in VA, a son shot and killed his father while turkey hunting with a shotgun.  Horrible, but I'm not sure which one deserves the idiot award, the son for shooting the dad or the dad for not teaching the son better.  I'm really starting to wonder if there should not be a skills test involved to get a hunting license.  It will never happen, but I can dream.  Something a little more in depth than the hunter safety course that I took as a kid, which was taught in the public school system (good thing).

Swamp

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 02:58:10 pm »
I dunno about a skill's test... perhaps an IQ requirement? At this point it's not even about how good you're.

"And this is?"

"That's a deer!"

"No, this is your friend Roland."

"Naw, that's a deer!"

"No sir, this is your friend. He drove with you here today."

"You SURE that ain't a deer?"

"Yes sir, I'm sure it's not a deer."

"Looks like a deer to me...."

Cacatch

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 03:14:19 pm »
Yep, a hunter's IQ test. LOADED with trick questions like

"What would you do in the following scenario: You are in your tree stand during the heaviest part of the rut deer season with your 12GA. You are blowing on the call periodically. Suddenly, to your right, about 30 yards out, you hear what sounds like a huge buck answer excitedly. Soon you begin to hear footsteps nearing the tree line. You get into position, and click off the safety. Just before the big buck steps out of the treeline, you catch a glimps of brown as he brushes the leaves on a low-hanging beech limb. You are sure you can see the brown of what has to be his front shoulder and the white of his chest through a small open spot in the leaves, as he stops just before exiting the tree line. You fear that maybe he has stopped because he has winded something, maybe you. You don't want this one to get away - he sounded HUGE coming through there! He has to go at least 220. Where would you aim and fire at this point?

A. Aim right for the open spot where you think his shoulder is
B. Aim just under what you think is the shoulder
C. Aim for the spine so you are sure to drop him
D. Other, explain _____________________

And they had better choose "D) Other", and in the explanation line write "I wait and I DO NOT FIRE til I can clearly identify what is on the other side of them leaves. Up til this point it does not say that I have seen the head or any other part of the body of the animal, so I cannot be sure that it is not another hunter who was blowing a call and thinking he was stalking a deer in my area.

If you do not chose "D", no license. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 03:18:55 pm by Cacatch »

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 05:20:16 pm »
One of the things that the G&F officer that came to school and taught the class did was show a movie reel with certain situations and ask if it was a shoot or no shoot situation.  One of the scenes that made an impression on me was filmed out west in the mountains.  It showed the view through a rifle scope of a deer trotting in the bottom of an open valley with woods on both sides.  Shoot or no shoot?  After we answered he showed the clip in slow motion, it showed not one but two hunters in really good blaze orange stepping out of the woods as the deer went past, in both cases they could be seen just over the back of the deer.  No one saw them the first time.  To my credit I did say no shoot the first time, but I did not see the hunters.  The officer went on to explain that the woods were starting to get crowded (25 yrs ago), and don't be stupid like the other hunters and put yourself in the position to GET shot.

I could see a "field trial" set up designed to get the adrenaline going.  With the big screen interactive projection systems these days it would be easy, the problems are the MFG. lobby and the $$$.  We'll see a boating operating license first, and I don't see that happening either.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Steve Cover

• Archery is for Everybody!!!
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 06:43:08 pm »
That's about 6 years old or older. The guy was shot by his buddy in Canada.
Quite so.

This is from my saved picture archives.

I thought it could spark a safety oriented discussion.

Steve
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 11:30:40 pm »
 I live in the state where deer hunting with dogs is still legal and a family and Southern tradition. People shoot each other every year. A lot of them have the attitude of,  "if it's brown it's down", or ground check.  :'(  A few years ago a father shot his 9 year old son, thinking it was a hog in the palmettos. It was a sad situation, he probally never hunted again.

We had another one in the Mngt. Area I hunt in where a hunter shot another hunter wearing blaze orange, riding a mountain bike, at a hundred yards with a 30-06. The shooter was using a scope and swore up and down it was a deer. No charges and he is still hunting there.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 05:27:35 am »
That guy was lucky it hit him in the thickest part of his skull,  If it had come through the temple, he would have been doing a Steve Martin imitation :o
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 02:32:22 pm »
We've had some very tragic hunting accidents here, all during elk season. Elk season is the most dangerous season to be out there because there's so much hype over "Gotta get that rack!!!" We don't have a blaze orange rule. So, I tend to think some guys see Mossy Elk instead of Mossy Oak. I've also heard of people firing at sound. Plus, we have people here who "glass" through their rifle scopes, with finger on the trigger. And people here carry shoulder-fired artillery for elk season, so the chances of surviving are slim to none. We're talking people who think a minimum caliber is .300WinMag. Which is ironic because the native elk here were wiped out mostly by .30-30s and .44-40s.

One accident was up near Tusayan (close to the Grand Canyon.) Guy accidently shot his cousin. I recall he died en route to the hospital. Another guy shot his buddy in the chest out towards Winona and that poor man lived for a couple months or so in ICU before he died. What a terrible way to go.

But now these pictures, you'd think bowhunters would do better than this.
Living a dream...

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 06:01:09 pm »
 That was not a hunting accident.. that was a case of stupid in the highest degree.. remember brothers there are always idiots like that out there.. be safe, be vigilant, and never poke your head up from behind your kevlar deer blind until you see antlers or long ears.. ..  :o
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Kegan

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 06:21:58 pm »
All these stories make it pretty clear why people have such poor opinions of hunters sometimes. It's nothing to be in the news for having a great afternoon in the woods with friends and family, but you can bet you'll hear about a guy blasting another hunter and swearing up and down it was a deer.

I'm starting to think we've been fighting natural selection WAY too hard over the years...

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 09:33:37 pm »
Hearing some of the comments here make me feel good about the hunter safety course I took.

They had a field walkthrough with shoot/don't shoot scenarios as part of the test, mock rifle carry with others and through/around obstacles as well as a live fire test. It didn't matter how well you shot, but if you handled the gun or mock rifle wrong, you didn't get a license. Had some kids going through the woods with the mock rifles, aiming at things and saying "Bang"; I don't think they got licenses.

Maryland also has a blaze orange rule for deer season for muzzleloader and firearms. No blaze required if during just bow season or during turkey season.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)