Author Topic: The stone age people of Papua New Guinea........  (Read 4638 times)

Offline Bushman452

The stone age people of Papua New Guinea........
« on: February 12, 2010, 11:01:02 pm »
Even after reading the past articles of Primitive Archer about the stone age tribes of Papua New Guinea and their bows literally blew my mind. After reading both part one and two I've been studying both recent and past photos of various websites based on the subject; taking closer looks at their crafts has given me a deep fascination about the longbows of the tropics.
Rabbit eating, deer killing barbaric savage of the Commonwealth.

Offline square shooter

Re: The stone age people of Papua New Guinea........
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:13:47 am »
Ya, Bushman, I was fasinated by the big bamboo bows too. Then went looking
out in my shop, and the bamboo I have is long enough, at least 7', and about
3" dia. So as soon as I finnish this atlatl and practice with it, I'll have to start on
one of the big bamboos. What other sites can you tell me about, that pertain to
These?      Thanxx

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: The stone age people of Papua New Guinea........
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 08:37:53 pm »
I agree, one of the few still-halfway-pure cultures left on the planet at the moment. I've watched a lot of the documentaries on Discovery/Natgeo and found them really interesting. I have a book that was written a long time ago-"Under the Mountain Rim" by Peter Mattheisson that documented a year with one of the tribes. It's a pretty rough life-they were constantly fighting surrounding tribes, and a good percentage of the people in the book were dead from arrow wounds before the year was out.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.