Author Topic: Saskatoon (serviceberry) opinions needed!  (Read 5446 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: Saskatoon (serviceberry) opinions needed!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 06:06:29 pm »
Thanks for the input Jesse, you definitely give me things to think about.

Radius, it's no big deal to me not to have a shooter yet.  I'm having fun and learning lots of ways not to make a bow.  ;)  I actually have a red oak board bow that I could work on, but it doesn't really inspire me... I have a goal of hunting next year with a bow I made myself out of materials I harvested and processed myself, and arrows with knapped points and dogwood shafts out of the ditch.  So of course I'm doing my learning on saplings, which is what I can find and which is what inspires me at the moment anyways.

That said, I do keep my eyes on what the laminate boys are doing, and after I've got a couple of selfbows under my belt I'll be headed in that direction for sure.  And I would Love some Yew!  I may come begging yet; hopefully I can find something to trade you for it when the time comes; I can find some nice saskatoon or chokecherry for sure; when you get bored of all that yew that you tragically have to work with... :P

As for where I live, I'm in Regina.  This is what it's like in the prairies, especially for those with forced-air heating. D-R-Y. 

Anyways, I think I'll go skin another stave while I wait for my rawhide backing to dry out.  I have a nice fat saskatoon that could be the Main Event!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stoker

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 07:04:17 pm »
Hi Zen..This one don't look to bad.Good luck on your fat stave.Wider is better.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

radius

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 07:13:22 pm »
be cool to try chokecherry, saskatoon (whatever that is)...yeah, man, let's trade...just gimme a few months to get back on track

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 11:42:30 pm »
Radius, I think you'll be pleased with saskatoon, or serviceberry as it's known elsewhere.  It's quite heavy, .8 -.9 SG and tools beautifully.  You might check out Gordon's
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,10536.0.html
or Keenan's
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,9894.0.html
for reference.

Leroy, thanks!  I keep looking for your chokecherry bow, how's it coming?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stoker

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 10:49:30 am »
Hi Zen..She's coming not much time.Just finished my year-end.Got it on the long string just about ready to brace.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 01:02:56 pm »
zen I have cut about 20 serviceberry trees down and all off them have had horrible barber pole twist to them >:(
I have one stave left I bandsawed it in half and roughed it out on the bandsaw, violated the grain badly but I believe with
a simple rawhide, silk or linen backing it will hold together just fine. the wood has interlocking grain like elm and appears to be tough as all hell.

I think if you reduce the length and get a little more bend out towards the tips you should be fine :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 04:34:56 pm »
Leroy, good to hear!  Can't wait to see it!  I'm feeling pretty confident I'll be able to pull of my next chokecherry attempt; I think I know which mistakes to avoid to prevent a premature fatality.

Dana, I've read in various places that one can just buzz right down the middle of serviceberry and not worry too much about grain violation.  One posting referred to serviceberry as "miracle wood" because of this ability... I know I've had zero problems with tool chatter or tear outs, so that speaks well for the strength of the grain, but it would be nice if somebody with more experience would pipe up on this point.  Thanks for the encouragement and tips! 

Right now I'm waiting for the rawhide back I put on to dry a bit before I start messing with it any more.  I'll need to monkey with the tiller a bit more, there's a short section on the upper limb that doesn't move, and the bottom limb is stiff from 2/3rds out.  Also, a bit more on both tips I agree.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 10:03:43 pm »
Update:

After heat-treating, backing with rawhide, and piking 3/4" from both ends (I know, I'm a chicken) I have 42# @ 30".   ;D  Very happy!  Even have less set, only about an inch!  Guess I better get busy and finish some arrows!