Author Topic: Baby Carriers  (Read 7373 times)

Offline NTD

Baby Carriers
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:42:50 pm »
Mackenzie does not like being away from Me or my wife for any period of time, I don't really blame her and understand that some of the ultra dependence is probably from being stuck in a hospital bed for the first few weeks of her life.  Jessie bought a really neat hippie baby carrier( I call here a damn hippie everytime she wears it  >:D) but it only carries the baby in the front.  I'd like to be able to continue to work on some projects but having her the front really hinders a lot of that.  So I was wondering, any of you dads out there have any reccomendations for a backpack style baby carrier?  Something comfortable to wear, that the baby liked and doesn't look too much like I'm a hippie ;) ;D

I've got some boo coming that will need straightening, snakes that are gonna need skinning, and I'd really Mackenzie to be able to help me out with those projects.  Thanks guys

Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

Re: Baby Carriers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:05:09 pm »
I also realize that this is not a baby product forum but I thought maybe those of you who are dads and lead an active lifestyle might have better insight into an appropriate carrier.  Heck even a primitive one might be cool if any of you have ideas. 
Nate Danforth

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 03:33:17 pm »
i cant help ya out with the carrier thing
but just thought i would mention,DAMN SHES A CUTIE
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 04:01:50 pm »
Thanks Sailordad ;)  She sure is!
Nate Danforth

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 05:19:52 pm »
I used a Kelty with my son.. It worked well and was comfortable for him and me.. ;)

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 05:23:57 pm »
we have a kid pack by Sherpani that has worked for me on everything from skiing, to cutting staves, even grouse hunting- all with my daughter onboard. it's more tech-y than hippy & it rides great

Rob

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 05:25:47 pm »
I had a backpack one that I carried Cody all over creation in when he was a baby, don't remember what brand it was though, may have been a Kelty.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 11:23:23 pm »
Too cool.  I used a front pack style for a while with my first.  It hinders you, but you can't use the backpack style until the baby can hold it's head up.  I just did easier stuff with the front pack like making strings, or arrows.  We then got a backpack one, I got it from EMS I'm pretty sure it's a Kelty.  It's great, you can hike all day with it.  Plus you can shoot with 'em on your back.  Both my kids sleep like rocks when they are on my back. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 12:09:35 am »
Thanks guys!  And especially thank you Rick, didn't even think that I would'nt be able to use the backpack for awhile.  I have a front carrier, probably just have to work on adjusting it right so I can do some stuff.  Can't wait until she can go on my back so I can shoot a little more often.  And I really can't wait until she can shoot her own bow with me.  But I know this stage will go by too fast so I will just enjoy it while it lasts. 

Here she is helping Dad check the forum
Nate Danforth

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 08:19:28 am »
Cute,very cute. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline aesedai

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 02:25:37 pm »
I've had a ton of experience using different carriers for my boys so here's what advice I can share....
We got a backpack when my first son was born and to be honest I think we've only ever used it once.  Generally speaking they are just too bulky and big to be convenient, and I don't really know of any that you would have enough movement wearing one to be able to shoot.  The closest thing to a backback that I've heard rave reviews about would be the ergo carrier  http://www.ergobabycarriers.com/babycarriers/category/carrier/ You can use that one on your front or back and I'm pretty sure you could carry even a newborn on your back in one although I'm not entirely sure about that as I've never actually used one myself.
I generally use slings for my kids.  For shooting I prefer using a mei tai carrier, you can use that one on the front or back as well and I've even carried a newborn on my back before.  The nice thing about these is that the weight is distributed evenly without any bulk so it makes for easy shooting, or working, or whatever you want to do.  I've carried my nearly 3 year old in one of these as well, they are definately made to be used for a large age range.  I made my own but there are a ton of places you can buy them.  If you want something more custom made (lots of shops actually let you pick your own fabric)  check out etsy.com and just search for mei tai's it should come up with tons of sellers.
Another decent option would be a ring sling, although they take a while to figure out.  I've shot with my 10 month old on my back with one of these but he was starting to get to be a bit heavy with that sling by then.  Same thing for those, if you want custom/hand made check out esty.com or most specialty baby stores carry them.
The other sling I use often is just a basic pouch style.  These are great for getting baby in and out quick but they are not comfortable for long periods of time.  I use that one when shooting when I know I just have to carry one of my sons in between targets or something.  You can find pouch slings almost anywhere, but they are also really simple to sew if you or or your wife sew.  I have lot's of links with tutorials on making all three of those slings if you're interested.
Anyway there's what little advice I have to offer...  we're due with our 3rd kid next month so I expect to have to carry him/her anytime we head out to shoot again.

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 05:16:14 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  We have a sling (hippie carrier) >:D ;D and My wife just bought a mei tai, she did tell me yesterday that you can use it on the back, we'll see how that works out.  Thanks guys!
Nate Danforth

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 11:27:46 pm »
Cute kid.  The time will go sooooo fast enjoy every moment.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Diligence

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 02:19:58 pm »
Great looking baby!

I have 3 kids....and all three got carried around in either a "ring sling" similar to this (www.babymoonslings.com) or a "wrap" (www.mobywrap) - similar to a mei tai I think.

Let me tell you this, looking like a "hippie" as you call it has allowed me to have my hands free to do lots of things.  A sling is easy to make, lots of patterns on the web, and you could even make it out of camo material if you wanted.  Mine has sports equipment on it (bats, balls, etc) and looks "manly".

Best benefit of carrying my kids is that it gives them a chance to "hang with dad" and bond a bit.....who cares what kind of looks you get - you are the DADDY, you get to make the decisions (at least while "she who must be obeyed" is not around)   ;D.

Once your little one is a bit bigger, the sling is really easy to use as a backpack carrier....see the link above and look under instructions.

Or...you could get a backpack style carrier.  I have one similar to these  http://www.rei.com/category/4500066

Cheers,
J
I encourage you to use the sling....it's easy to do, the kids love it and besides, you get to bond!  what can be better in this world than having your child (little angel) rest their head against you?  O:)
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Postman

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 10:20:34 pm »
Very cute kid! You hit the nail on the head with "...enjoy it while it lasts"  -

When she gets older, bib overalls are great carriers! ;D

I don't know how many last second saves I've  made by grabbing the overalls straps right before my boys got to the mud, phone, floor buffet, ect...
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA