Author Topic: Why not BL as backing?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Why not BL as backing?
« on: February 15, 2010, 02:51:01 am »
From my little understanding black locust is strong in tension strength, but lack some in compression which causes it to crystal unless tillered to near perfection.  Am I correct so far?  If so woudn't that make BL a good would to use as backing?  I've searched and haven't found any bows built with BL as a backing.  So I was wondering why not?  I think BL is a beautiful wood and would look pretty darn sharp with osage.  Comments?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

orcbow

Re: Why not BL as backing?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 06:07:16 am »
I just finished up a black locust / walnut laminate. Seems to have worked out good. I used those two woods just because I had them.

radius

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 07:50:26 am »
orcbow had that stuff left over from making his crossbow stock, i bet...

any wood that will make a selfbow will serve as backing.  give it a shot, man!  And Orcbow...let's see that BL, Walnut bow...

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:01:46 pm »
I bet the only reason you don't see it alot is because it probably requires more work than say a hickory backing because of potential checking, thorns, etc.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:30:59 pm »
Thanks guys,  I'm kind of like orcbow, I have BL staves but no hickory at the moment. 

Orcbow, I'd love to see pics of the BL/walnut bow.  If you posted it already I must have missed it somehow.  I've never laminated a bow so this would be all new to me.  Any suggestion on handling BL as opposed to hickory (which there are many posts about)?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw