Author Topic: Got to love those cane  (Read 7716 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Got to love those cane
« on: February 15, 2010, 10:25:40 am »
I have a friend that is going to a shoot down in Florida then end of Feburary and is going to shoot in the all primative class.  Now Alan can shoot a mean bow, so we are hopeing he will have as good of luck with these.  All are Jap Arrow bamboo, 29" to BOP, self nock, hand ground turkey feathers, and wrapped in silk thread.  If he don't shoot good, he sure will look good.....lol.  Good luck Alan.

Offline aero86

Re: Got to love those cane
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 11:36:20 am »
looks good. do you just scorch the nodes to make them look like that?  i kinda like the look, and would like to do that to some of mine.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 11:43:01 am »
aero86.  Some of the one's that I do yes, I scorch them for looks.  Others just happen to come out like that when bending.  I use a open flame to heat mine and use oil to help keep the scorching down.  Most of it is done just for looks unless it is a real stubborn area.

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 12:11:07 pm »
oh, alrightie.  guess thats why mine dont do that!   i use a heat gun.  thats a lot of twist on those feathers. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 12:28:50 pm »
Howdy Stretcher,

Wow, those are some top shelf arrows you got there.

Do you make a lot of arrows, and do you have an area in you shop set up just for arrow making?  How do you spin the arrows while wrapping the threads around the nock and feathers?  Are they in a sort of jig?  If so, I'd like to see a photo of that.

Thanks for sharing,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 12:32:44 pm »
Good looking set of arrows!
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 12:40:03 pm »
Canoe.  Yes I make a lot of arrows since I work in a pro shop and have had my own shop year ago.  I do have an area in my shop and basement that I work on all my primative stuff.  I have gotten away from the more modern stuff by choice for myself and love it.  The wrapping is all done by hand, tiwisting, turning, holding and hopeing.....lol.   I am working on a jig now to help the old arthritic hands hold the arrow, somthing like a fishing rod builder uses.  Hopefully it will help.  I can only do about two and then have to take a break.  All my arrows are fletched using a blitzenburger with a special made adaptor to orient the cock feather to the nock.  I use super glue over my wrapping to secure them, but for my arrows, I use sinew.  Hope this answers some of you questions????

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:41:17 pm »
Thanks Hillbilly.  I am going to make myself a dozen, your way, leaving the rind on them for camo effect next as soon as I get the right cane.

Offline aero86

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 01:03:05 pm »
whats the hillbilly way?  i wish i had a jig for my fletching.  but its fun trying to hold three feathers in place whilst tying!

Offline riarcher

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 01:17:44 pm »
String -
Wish my wife looked that good!  :o Beautiful!
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 01:31:47 pm »
The arrows you see aero86 have the rind taken off, sort of polished with steel wool for a slick and  for a lack of better words, "pretty arrow".  Some that Hillbilly and others make are fletched and made just like they were cut for the most part for a more primative look and camo.  Lay a piece of your tonkin as it comes out of the bag in some leaves and then try to find it on another day.....lol.  Finished like these are, are as much for looks as anything.

Offline aero86

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 01:35:59 pm »
oh, ok, thats how i make mine!  also, by the looks of the cut, you have some sort of feather cutter? if so, do you attach the feather, then cut off some of the vane, then wrap?  im trying to figure out the best way to get mine uniform, since i have a cutter for my feather shape. 

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 01:49:29 pm »
I use a feather burner for all my fletching.  I have several choppers here that are soon to go.  I just don't like them.  I like to burn mine after fletching on the shaft.  I fletch my arrows with a full clamp length fletch.  My ribbons are set so that they cut just to the quill and leaves me about 3/8 of an inch to the ends so I can taper than and then fletch over it.  Makes for a much more uniform fletching, IMO.

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 02:09:44 pm »
ok, cool  just wondering. i like my chopper, but, your way probably is better, but it was cheap and i have uniform cut feathers

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 02:27:59 pm »
Howdy Stretcher,

Hey, thanks for the info on how you make those great lookin' arrows. 

It sounds like you depend upon your years of experience rather than some fancy jigs or setups.
I was hoping you'd share some short cut method of making great looking arrows - but No, I just have to gain the experience.

Thanks again for sharing,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey