Author Topic: string slap and aiming  (Read 15053 times)

Offline aero86

string slap and aiming
« on: February 16, 2010, 07:06:57 pm »
so, is it something with primitive bows that cant be avoided or is it something that can be?  ive tried my best to avoid it, but i still get it.  im trying to get my groove with shooting, but its hurting!  and do you you guys sight down the shaft when you shoot?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: string slap and aiming
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 07:12:59 pm »
I don't really sight down the arrow, I just kinda know where the arrow is supposed to go and sometimes it goes there.  :) (I really don't know how else to explain it)  ;)  I used to really have a problem with wrist slap, the more I worried about it the worse it got.  I got a really good wrist guard and quit worrying about it and then the string  just stopped slapping my wrist. I started using it less and less and now  I don't even wear the wrist bracer anymore and I don't miss it at all...   :)   (...not really much help sorry  :-\ )
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 07:22:30 pm »
a low brace height on the bow can cause it,along with other factors such as a stiff bow arm(leave your elbow slightly bent on the arm that holds the bow)
this will help keep your wrist away from the string some

my self,i dont like or use an arm gaurd
i think that helps keep my arm slightly bent to avoid slapping it
also my bows are braced around 5.5"-6"

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 07:26:02 pm »
nah.  no big deal! haha.  whats the best way to find your anchor?  right now, im only drawing like 27 but i feel i could get 28.  when i anchor, i kinda my jaw with my right hand, and thats about 27

the brace height on this one is about 5.5.  ive tried to keep my elbow bent a little, maybe i need to make an effort to be aware of it.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Josh

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 07:40:52 pm »
...it doesn't really matter where you anchor, just that you go to the same spot every time..   My anchor hasn't changed since I first started shooting and I have noticed my shooting has steadily gotten better.   :)  When I anchor my thumb IP joint touches below my cheekbone and my index finger touches the corner of my mouth as soon as I feel both of these things I have already released the arrow and it is moving its way SLOWLY towards the target, LOL. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 08:39:57 pm »
I anchor with my thumb web under my jaw bone and my index finger is in the corner of the mouth- if you can get your thumb under your jaw it's the easiest way to know that you're arm is in line with the arrow and that you're alignment is at least close.

When it comes to slap, I always shoot with an arm gaurd. I'd need a 6.5" to 7" brace height to not get slapped and I couldn't do that to a wooden bow :D

I shoot with the arrow pointed to the target, moving it up or down for the distance. My focus shifts from more on the target to more on the tip the farthre out I get.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 09:04:27 pm »
I shoot instinctively...I don't look down the arrow anymore.  For me I found that the more I tried to sight down the arrow and concentrate on where I was aiming it the more I got wrist slap.  After a little while I just started to concentrate on the target point and the wrist slap got less frequent and now its gone.

Offline Josh

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 09:12:46 pm »
^^^^that's kinda what I was trying to say!  ;D

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 10:51:11 pm »
i try to see where the arrow is going to hit before i shoot it and in most cases it does i just try not to think so much and just do it has always fixed it self with me
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline PeteC

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 11:05:52 pm »
Aero,try adjusting your bow arm/hand a little.Try slightly bending your elbow,and roll it under and away from the string.Also,try holding your bow hand where the back of your hand is in line with the top of your arm.I shoot like this and never hit my arm,even at low brace. JMHO.  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 11:11:58 pm »
Try opening your stance some,might help.
Now is the good old days

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 11:48:19 pm »
                                         Try ....Not Letting the String Slap the Crap out of You................. >:D

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 12:19:33 am »
Didn't you also mention in another thread that you are using an Art. Sinew string?
  That extra stretch on that stuff might not be helping either...
Nate Danforth

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 12:23:46 am »
Hmmm.  Gonna have a lot of shooting ahead of me I guess!  Lol.  Guess ill stick to shooting at smaller things from now on.  The string on this bow, I'm not sure what it is.  Its a bow made by one of the sponsors here, the linen backed bow.  It doesn't slap near as much as the art. Sinew does.

Offline NTD

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 12:37:40 am »
LOL okay, I have no pointers on shooting.  I am not a good target shooter.  Bought Become the Arrow...it's an okay book but not all that impressed and bought Shooting The Stickbow it is a good book but I think I might go ahead and get Asbel's book.

Good luck on reducing that arm slap.  When I first started shooting a selfbow at 15 I didn't use an arm guard because I had read that good form eliminates it...Long story short, I spent a lot of painful lessons until I learned how to avoid it.  I didn't start shooting again until last year,10 years later, and apparently I forgot those lessons and I'm not tough enough anymore to do it without protection ;)
Nate Danforth