Author Topic: string slap and aiming  (Read 15054 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: string slap and aiming
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 08:54:53 am »
A lot of times it is the way you hold the bow and also low brace,but one other thing to look for is if the string lays down the center of the bow,some say if it is laying torward the arrow side it is a good thing and as far as arrow spine it is easier to tune but it will also give you more arm slap. :) No tips on shooting I just look at what I want to hit and let her rip. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 11:23:43 am »
a couple things too add is to hold the bow with it resting on the pad of your thumb, not deep in the palm.  and most important is your loose. dont let go of the string. let it slip from your fingers. if it isnt slipping from your fingers you are plucking the string. this will also cause slap and screw up any chance of accuracy as well. whether you snap shoot or have a solid anchor you need to have a clean loose. once your hand touches that anchor and the string leaves. your hand should remain where it is on your face. not fly to the side or backward.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline aero86

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 06:15:10 pm »
well, part of my aiming problem is i am plucking the string.  when i think about it, i hit what i aim at, some what.  still getting the string slap though.  i believe its the way im holding the bow.  i dont feel comfortable just supporting the bow, not just holding it.  guess ill try harder at it. 

heres what im shooting at, about 15 feet away.

profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 06:18:33 pm »
my shooting got better when I started canting the bow more... Forgot to mention that... how far do you cant the bow when you shoot?  I cant it around 45*   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline aero86

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 06:34:57 pm »
im sorry, im unsure what you mean by that.  like leaning it a bit away?  so the bow isnt straight up and down?  because thats how ive been shooting it, straight up and down

i just noticed my "bottle rocket" launch pad at the lower part of the picture.  i collect dr pepper bottles then put some soda in them, shake, turn upside down, then shoot the cap with a bb gun.  fun when youve got nothing to do.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Josh

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 07:06:16 pm »
yeah... tilt/cant the bow around 45 degrees... helped my shooting alot.  also makes the arrow sit on your knuckle/rest better too  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline aero86

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 07:34:45 pm »
ill have to try that.  so i should keep my bow arm in line with the arrow, but bend my elbow slightly, cant the bow a bit?  ill try it all.  seems like being my elbow will reduce my draw length ive been hitting..

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 07:45:19 pm »
I haven't worn an arm guard in years, except in the wintertime to keep coat sleeves out of the way. I just worked on my form until it didn't slap my arm. Canting the bow helped me tremendously with accuracy. I can't hit a thing straight up and down. I often shoot with the bow almost horizontal. You just have to shoot and it'll start to come together eventually. I think I unconciously sight down the arrow without really realizing it, kind of the Howard Hill split-vision thing.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline aero86

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 08:14:05 pm »
theres an archery range close to me.  maybe i need to just go there and see if i can blank bale..

Offline aero86

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 02:37:38 pm »
well, i think ive got this figured out to a point.  canting the bow a bit help and opening up my stance a bit helped too.  definitely have to remember on every shot to just let go, dont pluck, throws it off everytime.  now its coming down to my equipment.  i need to get the right spined arrows for this thing.  the one with the feathers coming off, shoots the best!  haha.  but anyways, thanks for the pointers guys!

Offline Josh

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 02:45:21 pm »
Glad to hear you are on the right track now  ;)

Offline Postman

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 02:51:13 pm »
ill have to try that.  so i should keep my bow arm in line with the arrow, but bend my elbow slightly, cant the bow a bit?  ill try it all.  seems like being my elbow will reduce my draw length ive been hitting..

That's actually a good thing- shorter draw lets you make shorter bows!
Keep hittin' em, aero!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline aero86

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 06:31:24 pm »
i dont mind shooting the long bows i have, though i havent tried a shorter one.  how can i figure out what my actual draw length should be?

Offline Josh

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 06:35:17 pm »
i dont mind shooting the long bows i have, though i havent tried a shorter one.  how can i figure out what my actual draw length should be?

draw a bow with an arrow and have a friend clip a clothespin on the arrow where it touches the back of the bow.. Measure from the inside of clothespin to inside the arrow nock for drawlength...   ;)

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 07:04:49 pm »
 I have a floating anchor. I don't draw the same length every time. I concentrate on a spot, and draw to where my eyes tell my mind, to let my fingers know, to let go. ;D I never could pull to an anchor, every time, just wasn't accurate enough for my liking. The floating anchor just feels natural to me, and i like my accuracy.  I always hit my wrist area with the string on my selfbows. I don't hit my arm at all with recurves. Build and shoot the bow the way it feels natural to you. ;) Just my two cents. Good luck.