Author Topic: "Crude-a-Licious"  (Read 4113 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

"Crude-a-Licious"
« on: February 16, 2010, 08:56:46 pm »
Here's a little side project I've been playing with featuring offcuts that should have been discarded.  It's chokecherry that I started to split with a jigsaw, then decided to finish by splitting.  Well the 30" that was split had 90* of twist... So rather than waste the whole tree I decided I'd make a kid's bow.  I tapered the ends of my 2 pieces and lapped them together with a third stiffening piece and lots of TB3, then soaked a rawhide bone, cut it into strips, and wrapped the works.  Then, bonehead that I am, I decided to see how fast I (who has never carried off a stave bow) could tiller this thing into about 20# with my new MasterCraft spokeshave from Canadian Tire.  Haha.  Next time I look at the thing, I've got 2 spots near either tip that are VERY thin.  Ok, Dog Treats to the Rescue!  One wrap did the trick on one limb, but the other took three, and could still use another.  Ok, so with that stellar introduction, here's the specs:

Chokecherry billets, 50" N2N, 17#@24".  Hemp string, Cambium backed, rawhide handle wrap.  Shoots off the hand.  Has already "made tissue".  (I shoot Kleenex boxes when the Mrs. ain't home).  I store Crude-a-licious in a place of honor up high where the dog can't eat her delicious parts.  The obligatory photos:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:04:47 pm by Ryano »
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: "Crude-a-Licious"
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:59:38 pm »
And the Rest:

(It stacks a bit at this draw, eh?)

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:24:59 pm by Ryano »
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 09:48:48 pm »
boy thats one crude bow....but its a bow all the same
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Barrage

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 11:22:54 pm »
lol, now that is great.  Talk about using what you got; great work!
Travis

Offline Diligence

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 11:26:41 pm »
I love it....it must be the fresh Saskatchewan air that gives you that creativity....lol. 
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 11:35:15 pm »
boy thats one crude bow....but its a bow all the same

Words I'll treasure for an eternity...   ;D

Thanks guys.  Just having fun here, and finding something to do while I avoid going out in that -20*C fresh Saskatchewan air, LOL.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:38:41 am »
That has a charm of it's own... you could sell it to a young Orc  >:D
Del
(BTW Pretty good tiller!)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 11:07:10 am »
WOW.... :D :o

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 11:14:05 am »
sweet I think LOL  :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Aries

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 11:27:41 am »
a bows a bow ;D nice to see some good come out of second rate wood lol
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 12:30:50 pm »
You sure the dog didn't get to that stick?  Just kiddin - I like it, that's what primitive is all about in my book.  Making do with what you've got...
1’—>1’

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 12:32:31 pm »
awesome, anybody can make a bow with a pristine piece of wood..  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 01:42:36 pm »
Quite the save, I'd say. Still, an interesting candidate for Feb Self BOM fun.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 05:22:21 pm »
Thanks guys!  I appreciate and enjoy the commentary!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 05:28:49 pm »
Sure looks like a bow to me!

PS: That handle splice is similar to some of the prune bows I made when I was a child, except I used wire to fix it.
Frank from Germany...