Author Topic: bow wood  (Read 6947 times)

Offline Boots

bow wood
« on: February 17, 2010, 08:45:48 pm »
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with cedar elm? I have about 50 to 75, sapling to 12" diameter   
SPITTIN AND WIDDLIN !!!!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: bow wood
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:23:39 pm »
I have never heard of a cedar elm, but I doubt that would slow me down much if it looked like there was a bow in the trunk somewhere.  But, heck, I have whittled on peach leaf willow when I didn't have any other wood to play with. 

Every wood makes a bow, just not every wood makes a good bow.  Some tribes made bows out of cottonwood roots!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:43:09 pm »
Yes ...they have Cedar Elm here all over Texas...and there are many People that have made Bows from it...I have made three....and I have two more Staves in the Garage curing...works as well as other Elm.......JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:43:46 pm »
I think most elms work for bows.  Elm is a strong wood.  If you want to get rid of any staves put me down for one.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Boots

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:37:32 am »
Thanks guys for the info. and I will keep you n mind when I get one cut down, RC
SPITTIN AND WIDDLIN !!!!