Author Topic: Sourwood bow?  (Read 1647 times)

72shane

Sourwood bow?
« on: February 18, 2010, 09:17:36 am »
Just wondering if anyone has any expirience with sourwood? I used it one time many years ago but dont really remember how it performed...i had alot going at one time. Any advise on profiles or whether or not its worth fooling with? Thanks in advance.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sourwood bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:15:13 am »
I have seen sourwood bows but never made one. I do have a stave or two of it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

72shane

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 12:20:26 am »
Anyone else have any input?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 11:40:23 am »
I remember seeing one posted on here a few years ago, the guy said it was a good shooter. Never tried it, even though it's common here. I have a stave somewhere that Pat gave me, but never have worked on it yet. I would think that sourwood should make a good Wide flatbow with similar dimensions to what you would use for ash, walnut, or other medium-weight whitewoods.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

72shane

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 12:09:36 pm »
Hillbilly, that could have been me that posted that bow. I use to post here alot then life got in the way of my bowmaking and when i got back i had to re-register. The one i did make was a flat bow but it came in light due to a hinge. What i liked most about it was the finish. Once i removed the bark, the sapwood was very pitted just like the bark. So I stained it black and then hit it with sandpaper after it dried and it had a neat sorta spotted camo. As i said its the only time i ever messed with sourwood so i dont know if it was just that particular stave or all sourwood. I'll find out soon as i just cut and split a good, straight grain stave to try.