Author Topic: My Wife Goes On A Basenji Rescue  (Read 9453 times)

Offline Postman

Re: My Wife Goes On A Basenji Rescue
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 10:00:14 pm »
Way 2 go mike. never met a basenji but they sound cool - saw a piece on TV about them - very unique.said they are hell on wheels when it comes to goin' after critters  :D
 But idiots who want "unique dogs" that don't have your pet ownership skills  or knowledge make me mad -they drive the puppy mills >:(

"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 10:18:56 pm »
 Not just the breeders that keep them in cages that makes me mad. But, I think it should be against the law to keep a dog tied to a tree, or run, all day. If you don't have time to spend time with something you said you would take care of for life, then, it's no different than child abuse. Don't get me wrong, I value a child more then a dog, but there is still a big responsibility you ought to feel.

When you adopt a pet, you are it's provider. It can't take care of itself for very long without being shot; and never, tied up 24-7. It pisses me off everytime I drive past some lowlife trailer trash and see a poor old pup tied or chained to a tree. Or worst, out in the sun.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 02:18:43 am »
I agree with You ...100%...Eddie...but it ain't just Trailer trash...I know a Rich and Retired Friend of My Wife's....Who lives in a 400,000 dollar Home....She bought a pedigreed Persian Cat...brought it Home...well the Litter Box Smelled...so for the Last 4 Years...this Cat lives in the Garage....never allowed in the House....last Year She bought a Papered Chow Chow...Swore it would be an Inside Dog...but never seemed to have the Time to Potty Train this Puppy...So now it has spent the last 10 months in a 5 X 15 Dog Run...with a Dirt Floor...and no more attention than when She gets Fed once a Day....People like this do not deserve to have the Right to Own a Pet....and should be fined for Animal Cruelty
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 07:10:09 pm »
Talked with a Basenji owner once, asked how they were for training since they are so closely to wild dogs.  I thought they might be headstrong and tough to train.  Hah!  Wrong-o moosebreath!  Coming from Africa bush country, basenji owning people had her very little time for "pets", the basenji had to be a herder, hunter, guard dog, etc and had to do a very good job or they were in the stew pot long before they reached sexual maturity.  Talk about survival of the fittest: behave or be supper!  Turns out the breed needs a very gentle touch and a light correction to get results.  The basenji owner I talked to said they were the easiest breed she had ever trained. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.