Author Topic: Eastern Backwoods Hunter(wrote for my dad)  (Read 3727 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Eastern Backwoods Hunter(wrote for my dad)
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:22:05 pm »
Eastern Backwoods Hunter

He stalked along the old rugged logging road with an arrow on the taunt string of the old Browning recurve. Not many people would be this far back in this late in the season. His camp was a mile down in the bottomland near the cold mountain creek. Today was his last day and he hoped to bag a whitetail.
It was just below freezing, not cold by his standards, but "chilly". He looked down a deep hollow but couldnt see to the bottom. Slow, fat snow flakes starting falling to the cold and barren ground.
His family back home expected this; him to be away in the mountains for a day or two, doing what he does best, hunting the high ridges of Northern Pennsylvania. As he rounded a bend in the old dirt road he stopped and as he knew he was not spotted he slowly sliced through the air, moving the bow to shooting position.
He stalked forward, his footsteps almost completely muffled by the wild North winds blowing into his bearded face. The sharp broadhead on the front of the birch shaft he knew would do the job if he hit the deer right.
15 yards the deer and the woodsmen meet eyes. . .
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Postman

Re: Eastern Backwoods Hunter(wrote for my dad)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 10:28:33 pm »
Nice - bet the ol' man's proud ;)
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:39:33 pm »
the boy has a way with words-he didn,t get to the finish where my only shot at a whitetail was a miss.The sapling I did hit wasn,t too tasty though,but the packing in,time alone back in the north country and all it has too offer up to the soul adds up to the harvest is just an added bonus.have a great day-lloyd

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 12:55:03 pm »
Very good writing,great story and testament to you dad. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 01:09:14 pm »
that was awesome, kinda felt like I was there for a minute... Great writing!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:22:52 pm »
thanks fellas. my dads right the backcountry up there is very wild and "good" for the spirit. Big medicine that country is.
Modern Day Tramp