Author Topic: BBI for a friend.  (Read 3995 times)

Offline Easternarcher

BBI for a friend.
« on: February 19, 2010, 01:15:28 pm »
OK, this bow started life as a BBI blank from D. Knight back in November. I didn't trust the wood I had available so put in a call to Dave for what I needed.
This MEDIUM R/D was way more than I had tried in the past and I was abit intimidated by it, but Dave helped me out and here's the result.
63in. NTN - 68lbs at 29" draw length. :o Came in abit high for weight too but he likes it!. (I don't have a good bow scale YET). Boo backed Ipe with bone tip overlays. This is the second set I've tried and I really like the look. I find that bone smells quite bad when you cut it, but man does it take a nice polish! These were very white when finished and I wanted to tone it down abit. So I painted on a couple coats of Tru-Oil and that gave them a more amber/ivory look. Overall the bow has 2 coats of shellac under 6 coats of Tru-Oil. Again I buffed the backing down with steel wool to cut the shine abit.
The grip was actually copied from a Bear Montana that agd83 had and he wanted the grip replicated. I came VERY close in scale and feel. The laminations are I believe: IPE-Osage and Brazilian Cherry.

Teh stain is Fiebings leather dye which covered the entire backing, but I used 0000 steel wool between the nodes to give some contrast, again as per customer's request. Well He's happy and so am I. And Thank You to Dave Knight for building a great bowblank.
Enjoy and please feel free to critique it, as that's how I learn!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:57:15 pm by Easternarcher »

Offline Easternarcher

Re: BBI for a friend.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:22:58 pm »
And the money shots!
Again, apologises for my lack of photograpy skills!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 01:55:07 pm by Easternarcher »

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 02:07:23 pm »
that  bow looks great!  Where's a full draw?   :)

edit:  Oh there it is!   Looks great!  :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 06:49:44 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 06:47:21 pm »
Looks great!
Frank from Germany...

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:05:35 pm »
It looks nice.  The brace profile looks.....different....not bad, especially since I know nothing about R/D designs, but just different than other R/D's I've seen.
Nate Danforth

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 11:16:37 pm »
It looks nice.  The brace profile looks.....different....not bad, especially since I know nothing about R/D designs, but just different than other R/D's I've seen.
NTD, yeah don't be thrown by the pic whilst on the tiller tree...that was taken while the blank was still at full length, before I piked the limbs and even before final tiller. The pic taken with the other two bows is actually the final brace profile.

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 12:32:36 am »
Ok ;D  Sorry man I wasn't trying to rag on your bow, it just looked different O:)  The pic of it leaning on the tree looks much more...normal  ;D  Great job on that!  It sure does have that DKnight signature look.
Nate Danforth

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 12:48:20 am »
Ok ;D  Sorry man I wasn't trying to rag on your bow, it just looked different O:)  The pic of it leaning on the tree looks much more...normal  ;D  Great job on that!  It sure does have that DKnight signature look.

HEy, No worries! That hybrid profile throws me abit too. ;D

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 09:56:40 pm »
Got your very fine BBI bookmarked under Feb laminates for BOM. Nice Job!!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 10:01:23 pm »
Got your very fine BBI bookmarked under Feb laminates for BOM. Nice Job!!

Thank You Sir!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 10:07:07 pm »
Very sweet bow, I really like the dye job and the profile on that one

Offline Josh

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 12:18:32 pm »
how did you get the different colors of dye to fade into each other like that?  I am about to do a bow the same way and am kinda intimidated by the transitions between colors... Did you use Rit dye?  Thanks man.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 04:06:24 pm »
how did you get the different colors of dye to fade into each other like that?  I am about to do a bow the same way and am kinda intimidated by the transitions between colors... Did you use Rit dye?  Thanks man.   :)

What I did was use leatehr dye in the dark colour over the entire bow, then use 0000 steel wool to lightly rub out the transition spots to almost get it down to bare wood or boo in this case. featehr out the end strokes and you have instant sunburst effect. Good luck!

Offline Josh

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 04:10:57 pm »
cool beans Got it!   :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 07:20:21 am »
Great looking bow.Sweet . :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good