Author Topic: Mamoth Blades  (Read 8339 times)

Offline Keenan

Mamoth Blades
« on: February 19, 2010, 11:12:25 pm »
 Just came across this pic of Emory Coons with a couple of his monster blades.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: Mamoth Blades
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 11:19:08 pm »
sweet jesus!!!!!
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 11:21:54 pm »
i seen that pic of him also
and thought, damn thats impressive
but then i also thought, ya know how many points ya can make from the amount of material it took to make them

i unerstand why those that can do that,do that.because they can of course and to be one of the few that actually can claim they can
but i still wish i just had that much material  to work with
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 11:56:18 pm »
Holy cow :o!! I need to meet this guy sometime!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:06:19 am »
 Sailordad,  If you knew Emory you could never even consider a statement like that. That man can dissect a three foot rock and waist almost nothing.Where most of us would have a mountain of unusable debris he makes use of almost everything.  He generally makes these from the cores while making blades from every other flake that is taken off.  I  was totally blown away the first time that I saw him take a three foot boulder and turn it into a pile of perfect flakes most ranging from 8-12 inches.  And having almost nothing that wasn't usable.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 01:09:37 am »
keenan, i dint mean anything bad by what i said.
i know he is a very very talented knapper.
i just dont see the practicality of making a blade that size.
even if i had the skills to do it.
its like i said guys that can do it,do it because they can.and becuase they are one of a few that can
and like i said,i wish i had material of that size to use
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:47:12 am by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 01:29:00 am »
Keenan, is one of those the one you sent to Pappy during the Classic a few years ago?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 01:43:12 am »
Wow, just imagine what I could kill with those on a big stick.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 08:06:35 am »
I believe he has a website somewhere out there.  I've read about his techniques- how he digs pits to absorb the hits- pretty ingeniouis!  Just curious what he does with all those big pieces...there is only so much room to put stuff like that on display.  Cool work, though!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 09:23:06 am »

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 10:48:45 am »
 No Pat, the one that I sent down was just a rough out that he gave me after dissecting the boulder for me.   He grew up with a father in the lapidary business and started busting rock as a very small child.  Has so much obsidian fragments embedded in his finger tips that he can't shoot fingers anymore because it hurts to much. He's real just a great guy with a high desert,small town upbringing.  Doesn't really care about articles wrote on him and has no desires to be famous, but as far as talented nappers in the world he would rank with the best.

Offline billy

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 03:35:08 pm »
yeah , yeah, I know Emory.  He always razzes me whenever I see him, but that's cause he's actually scared of me.  He knows I can make bigger, thinner, and better blades than he ever could.  He's scared cause he doesn't want me to show off my talents and undermine him.  He looks at me like a sleeping volcano...never knowing just when I might go all out, blow the doors off the flintknapping world and make an 8-foot long blade.  I've actually been commissioned by the military to make a few for them.  They use them for shooting down enemy bombers at high altitude. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 04:28:10 pm »
 Wayne (stickbender) brought me back some nice obsidian from Emory. He has some nice pictures he took at Emory's house of all kinds of cool stuff if somebody can reduce his pictures for him.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 06:49:17 pm »
e-mail me thy pictures wayne I will reduce em and post em ;)

mstqsewer@charterinternet.com
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 10:01:03 pm »
yeah , yeah, I know Emory.  He always razzes me whenever I see him, but that's cause he's actually scared of me.  He knows I can make bigger, thinner, and better blades than he ever could.  He's scared cause he doesn't want me to show off my talents and undermine him.  He looks at me like a sleeping volcano...never knowing just when I might go all out, blow the doors off the flintknapping world and make an 8-foot long blade.  I've actually been commissioned by the military to make a few for them.  They use them for shooting down enemy bombers at high altitude. 

;D ;D ;D  Billy,  If I was back a few hundred I'd want you both in the tribe, You for the meat and potatoes bird points and Emory for the  Ceremonial blades to scare to show off to the neighboring tribes. But when it comes to the hunting I think those deadly little points you make are killer.