Author Topic: jeff and I  (Read 7190 times)

Offline ZanderPommo

Re: jeff and I
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 10:37:17 pm »
Grunt, from what i understand, the reason for those problems was that the gov. got so hyped up about the new "space gun" and issued them saying they never needed to be cleaned, which simply isn't true. the military, finally realizing their stupidity, then issued out cleaning kits solving many of the problems the M-16 was known for.It was perhaps a gun too far ahead of its time however, since the materials it was made with could have used a couple more years to catch up. ie: plastics capable of being used on a firearm
many US soldiers were like yourself discouraged by the beginning problems but I urge you to give them another shot (no pun intended) the design really has improved alot since then.

please not trying to argue just pointing out this little tidbit of info don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of the M-14 (which is still used by some snipers today for a reason)

my main complaint would be the trouble with knockdown capabilities with that caliber (5.56 NATO), even though its designed to tumble on impact, and has very high velocity, the ft lbs of force it delivers leave something to be desired, especially compared to the M-14 (.308...or was it 30-06?....i think it was .308...), which was said to be "even more powerful and accurate than the soldiers needed" which to me doesn't seem like a bad thing at all ;D

now if the Geneva convention didn't prohibit the use of hollow points in warfare, the M-16/M-4 might be a more formidable tool.

if you're looking for raw reliability and knockdown power however, the AK-47/AK-74 is the way to go for sure, but the US troops are too good of shots to be able to effectively use the AK ;) :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 03:11:58 am by ZanderPommo »

Grunt

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 11:44:30 pm »
I found out in later years that they did chrome the bolt and chamber and they sorted out the correct powder charges. Some vets I have talked to didn't have the problems we had with the rifles. Most of those vets served later than I did and got different weapons. We were issued one cleaning kit for each fireteam (four men). I ended up carrying a .45 and a M-79 and a shotgun.
 Our battalion armorer had piles of M-16's sitting around in the rear with spent rounds stuck in the chamber  , the bolt would rip the lip off the back of the empty and you had to pound it out with a ramrod.
I have a Chinese SKS these days.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 01:18:40 am »
sks,now theres another gret rifle  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 02:55:19 am »
yep yep got me a yugo sks, helluva gun to shoot ;)
I like the 7.69x39 for range shootin, light recoil. fun gun

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 03:05:40 am »
Two AK's...and a Dragunov...to heck with a 5.56....never get the Dependability out of a AR15 that you will from a Kalishinkov Rifle...won't happen...too tight of tolerances on the 5.56...Don't get me Wrong ...I like the litle Guns....but they won't take the Abuse....Dirt and Grime of hundreds of rounds beings shot between cleanings...or getting dirty ...and still shoot well...I have shot my Ak's so much (read Russian Berdan Primed 1940's Military Ammo)...that the Gas Ports would be damned near blocked Solid...and the Gun was still functioning Perfectly...go try that with yout AR's..... ;D

Oh...and they sure sound better ...and put on a Better Fire Show than an AR- 15...when they are Bump Fired too...... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome