Author Topic: different bundle bow  (Read 10936 times)

Offline aznboi3644

different bundle bow
« on: February 21, 2010, 02:19:35 pm »
Hey ya'll I wanna share a quickie bow I made the other day.

I was at lowes just looking around wasting time and saw the bamboo bin full of poles...So I looked around and tested the floor tiller of a some of the bigger 1" diameter poles.  Found me two that seemed strong with thick walls.

I've made a couple 3 and 4 pole bundle bows bow staggering the poles to get the tiller right was too time consuming for me.  So I had an idea of making a two pole bow but with bigger thicker poles.

I did a little heat tempering to the poles...Overlapped the smaller ends.  Tillering this boo bow took a couple tries at different overlap lengths.  Binding is leather from an old belt and handle wrap is hemp.

It is about 70" n2n 1.5" wide at the handle and draws 40lbs at 24"...Not sure what it would be at 28".  The only method of weighing it was lifting up a couple 20lb dumbells until they just lifted off the ground.  Would it be safe to say its about 50lbs at 28"

Just unbraced follow is 3" but settles to 2" of set after a while.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: different bundle bow
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:27:15 pm »
That's pretty stinkin awesome!  The tiller looks great!   that's it... I'm heading to lowes right now..  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline NTD

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:47:54 pm »
Tiller looks awesome.  Good job.  And it actually looks perty too.  Could you heat reflex into a bamboo bundle bow?
Nate Danforth

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 04:04:16 pm »
Thanks for the compliments.

I'm not sure if reflex could be heated into it.  I may be able to flip the tips a little bit but if reflex was heated in I would imagine the poles would reverse while stringing it and become a deflex bow. 

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:52:43 pm »
here's the first one I ever made a week after reading the first volume of the bowyers bible and seeing bakers bundle bow.

its permanently strung...72" long 70"n2n and 40lbs at 32" draw (i don't have gorilla arms but I can stretch to 32" with this bow.

Its made of two poles...medium ones...not like the first bow posted.  There is one full length pole and the other pole was cut into about 1/3 and 2/3 and staggering them.  Its a little slow but I may use it for frog giggin with some special arrows.

Braced

handle close up...I just threw it together...came out good for the time invested

And finally a full draw...well I tried  timing it right but its only drawn to about 30 in the pic.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 12:34:09 am »
Cool bow. So simple but effective!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:54:11 am »
 Very cool bow, looks like it bending very even. Congratulations

Offline Aries

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 02:25:11 am »
those are sharp, the tiller turned out pretty good too lol. my first bows were similar to these and were spawned by images of arnold schwarzenegger using a bundle bow to shoot clear through a tree in the first predator  ;D
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 04:29:53 am »
On ur next one I'd like to see U recurve the limbs a bit would probably look wicked and give it some zip!

Russ

Offline aznboi3644

New artificial sinew bow string
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 03:39:22 am »
I decided to order some artificial sinew from primitive originals.  The only stuff I could find in town is at the hobby lobby and it was 4 dollars for a small bobbin of 15# sinew.

I got a roll of 70lb to try out for bow strings and a small bobbin for hafting.  After shipping and handling the total was only $14.50.  I've read on here that a lot of people find that it stretches a lot.  I had to test it out as it just came in the mail today.  Tonight I made a quick 9 strand string with three bundles of three in a simple twist...then rubbed it down to heat the wax a bit.

After bracing the new bow at 7" and pulling to 28" a few times I expected the string to stretch and settle down the brace height a bit.  To my surprise the brace height has not changed after an hour and about 20 more pulls to full draw.

The previous string was just a three strand of some 117lb nylon catfishing line from walmart.  That stuff stretches A LOT.  On the same bow the nylon string would be braced at 7" and settle down at about 5.5" - 5.75".  And that is on an ~50lb bow.

Even the weight of the bow feels stronger with the artificial sinew string.

How much stretch are you guys getting with your artificial sinew strings??

I'm liking this stuff...easy to work with too.  Oh yeah heres a link to where I got it.

http://www. primitiveoriginals.com/arsin1.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:53:29 am by Pappy »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 10:54:13 am »
Very cool bow,Tiller looks good.Nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline wildman

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 02:23:14 am »
Thats pretty slick it made me think of Preadator as well. I made one a few years ago out of split bamboo bundled like aleaf spring it worked ok but yours looks alot nicer.I use the spooled sinew all the time for strings never have any trouble.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 02:59:01 am »
man its been so long since i've seen predator that i can't even remember him using a bow lol

Offline NTD

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 05:42:44 am »
What kind of string were you using before?  I would think since these bundle bows are pretty slow anyway you'd want to maximize performance as much as possible?  I recently ran out of Dacron and made a string for one of my Red oak D-bows...Damn if it didn't turn that bow into a dog, and start slapping the crap out of my arm.  Of course I guess the premise behind these bows doesn't include milking speed....
Nate Danforth

HatchA

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 11:01:54 am »
Azn...  those bows are brilliant!!  Tribal-tastic, for want of a word to describe them correctly :)

Both bows pictured at full draw are 40lb, yeah?  For one you're using split-fingered draw and the other is three-under...  Do you have a preference or did the string material play a part in the draw?  They look incredibly cool at full draw man.  Do the bindings around the poles loosen up over time/use?