Author Topic: You guys got me into trouble...  (Read 9736 times)

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
You guys got me into trouble...
« on: February 21, 2010, 06:36:14 pm »
Howdy Radius, Aero, Hillbilly and others,

So, there I was in the basement, heating and straightening boo sticks for arrow making when the wife came home early yesterday.  She smelled smoke, Again.  And boy!  Was she mad >:( !!   (I am (was) using a small oil lamp as heat).  She lit into me all about what she meant when she asked me, the first time, to "NOT do that in the house!"  And, I was really holding me own in that argument, "Yes Dear," "Yes Dear," "Yes dear." :-\

Anyway...  (More importantly), I got about five boo sticks really, really straight and about three sticks pretty straight before she stopped me.  I'm enjoying this arrow making aspect of the whole bow and Arrow addiction very much.  And, I can't wait 'til it gets warm enough for me to take my toys outside to play.

Well, I'll be looking to spine test and then cut (to length) those straightened boo sticks.  Questioned; someone on here said that I need to spine these arrows about 10 lb.s over because they are tapered.  Is this correct?  So, for my 48lb. bow, I need to spine to 55 - 60lb.s?  I will appreciate your feed back / guidance.

Thanks and All the Best,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: You guys got me into trouble...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 06:43:52 pm »
I believe proper spine also depends on how wide your handle is, or how far your arrow pass is from the centerline of your string.  You need a weaker spine to paradox around the handle.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 07:11:10 pm »
It depnds on a lot of factors. There's another website that has a lot of info abck spining an arrow for your bow.  I know the link but I don't know if I can post it.  Anyways, ain't my fault your getting "burned".  Hehe.  If your having trouble with that, get a two setting heat gun from lowes.  Use the low setting.  The only small amount of smoke I get is if I don't clean up the nodes well first..  but that's it.  With the heat gun you really have to be trying to scorch as well.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 07:15:36 pm »
I Love my wife....
Nate Danforth

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 08:13:14 pm »
 Canoe,

You can make it up to her by getting a feather burner. It is very aeromatic >:D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 09:19:12 pm »
So does this mean an indoor shooting range is out of the question?

I use the new kitchen table all the time. I didn't even get in trouble for the epoxy.  :-*
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 09:41:58 pm »
So does this mean an indoor shooting range is out of the question?

I use the new kitchen table all the time. I didn't even get in trouble for the epoxy.  :-*

he he i can do what i ant,where i want in the house too
yup as long as its ok with the wife i can do it  ;D

seriously she realy dont have a problem with anything i do in the house as long as i clean up after myself
and i dont use pine pitch in the house
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 10:16:55 pm »
My basement is my "man cave"  I do what I want down there.  The wife can have the upstairs.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline dshull

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 11:27:25 pm »
my lovely wife sent me to 3rivers . She told me to go and buy those silly sticks and stop smelling up the house!!!!!!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 11:41:09 am »
Grind some horn or antler on a beltsander in the basement, and she'll be glad to let you straighten arrow shafts instead.  >:D  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Cacatch

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 12:15:16 pm »
What Hillbilly said! She'll be begging you to go back to the arrow shafts!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 12:28:58 pm »
Grind some horn or antler on a beltsander in the basement, and she'll be glad to let you straighten arrow shafts instead.  >:D  ;D
;D  ...making the wife choose between the lesser of the two evils... BRILLIANT!   ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Diligence

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 11:20:23 pm »
...just be sure that if you decide to temper a new knife blade in the oven, that you fully, and I mean FULLY remove all the quenching oil first.....lol

...aren't our wives just angels!

j
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 04:53:19 am »

Yeah, do like Hillbilly said, only go to the pet store, and get some hoofs, and some of the reddish bones, with some material still attached to it, and grind away.....oh, and eat lunch an hour or so before you do this.......or you could just go Hmmmpff!! you just can't seem to understand my masculine needs!! and stomp off to the yard to pout!  Or you could just give a big sigh now and then, and act restless......till she finally asks what the h@#$ is wrong, and you can just say......Nothing......nothing that you would understand.......Then go buy that heat gun!!  ;) But at least you can have some fun, and a bit of back at ya, attitude..... ::)
Let us know how that works out...... ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 10:18:56 am »
im with mullet, burn some feathers and she'll be begging for wood smoke.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct