Author Topic: Leather Scraps  (Read 6393 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Leather Scraps
« on: February 22, 2010, 07:57:09 pm »
I went by one of my new customers today (a huge leather tannery) and got a tour.  They work with high end cow and horse leather for luxury goods and sporting goods (they have tanned every football for every superbowl- and I got to see the first run of each football).  Anyways, they had a big scrap bin and the buy told me to take whatever I wanted.  He gave me a box to fill up and told me to come and get some anytime.  I ended up stuffing the box full and got about 30 lbs of leather for free.  They are workable pieces and very thick for the most part (except the horse, which is thin and buttery as he put it).  I also got a sheet that was going for basketballs- already stamped with the bball pattern and all.  That picture is the one with the sunglasses for a size reference.  I thought it would make a cool possibles bag or bow grip...not sure what I'm going to do with most of the leather, but I'm sure I can come up with something.    ;)  I was like a kid in a candy shop  ;D  Anyways  I know there are some very talented leather workers on here that would appreciate the stash I got today.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline DanaM

Re: Leather Scraps
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:21:10 pm »
Man you suck Jeff ;) I never run across deals like that :'(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 08:37:10 pm »
 You sound like a trading machine in the works. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 08:47:58 pm »
sweet!!! good going jeff bet you are very happy  ;D
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Grunt

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 09:08:03 pm »
Just about every saddle shop has got a scrap bin. The one in Asheville sells the scrap by just eyeballing what ever you pick out. I last time I went I took one of my bows to show the craftsmen who were sewing. I got about 20 lbs of great handle material for $8.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:13:33 pm »
Once I get settled down, I would be up for a trade, but I'm staying in a hotel right now until I can get my family moved.  Most of the black leather is 7 oz leather according to the guy who gave it to me, so I'm going to make me a nice knapping pad...getting tired of my leg being black and blue.  Not sure if this thick of leather is good for bags as it might be hard to work....Dana, my wife always said I'm the luckiest person alive!  Karma, Golden Rule..whatever you call it, I seam to fall rear backwards into stuff like this.  O:)  Grunt, they did have some saddle leather too.  Talk about nice leather!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:59:50 pm by jeffutley57 »
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 10:11:35 pm »
Nice haul! That's some good looking leather, I think you must be about as lucky as that %$^&#* Mullet. Nothing like that ever happens to me, but stuff like that follows Eddie around like a shadow. ;D

Just about every saddle shop has got a scrap bin. The one in Asheville sells the scrap by just eyeballing what ever you pick out. I last time I went I took one of my bows to show the craftsmen who were sewing. I got about 20 lbs of great handle material for $8.

You must be talking about Jackson's. That's where I get most of my leather, too. It's just about a mile from where I work. You can buy whole sides of veg-tanned leather there, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 01:12:29 am »
Nice haul, Jeff. The thick leather can be used for building up handles, making handles for bendy handle bows, tip overlays and arrow rests and shelves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 07:07:38 am »
Nice haul,you can buy a cheap tool from Tandy leather and make some really nice lacing out of the
small pieces.It will suprise you how long a piece you can get from a very small piece of leather. :)
I had a tack store up the road from the house give me a bunch a few years back that had water
damage,I laid it out and let it dry and still using it.Most of mine was to thick for handles at least for the ones I make but it is handy for lots of other projects.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good