Author Topic: Don't stone me...  (Read 15463 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Don't stone me...
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 09:19:14 pm »
  Most of these bows from that time period were made from left over aircraft aluminum from WW11. I have a takedown I'm still shooting that the riser is made from aluminum but the limbs are Glass.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Frode

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 11:55:11 pm »
Who'd a thunk it  :-\.  I didn't realize how much history would be attached to this bow.  I've heard of steel bows from India, but I'd never have imagined aluminum as a viable bow material.  Well, this time tomorrow that bow (and everything else they own) will be packed and on the road.  The kids are moving from NJ to West Palm Beach FL, a job transfer.
I have seen the future of Christmas vacation, and it is good  ;D!
Thanks again,
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 04:26:26 am »

When I was in High School, in shop we used to order a crossbow kit, and it had a 50 lb. aluminum prod.  Imagine trying that today! :o  There would be a police investigation, and counseling...... ::)  Anyway, like they said, after awhile, it would break.  I had a friend of mine try to make a prod out of a leaf spring, but he ground the temper out of it.  If he had know how to re temper it, it would have been a very powerful bow!! :o  Yeah, do like they said, and hang it on the wall.  Like Eddie said some of the aluminum products, were made out of scrap plane aluminum.  They made canoes, and boats, and they were not anodized, and would corrode.
                                                                                               Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 02:22:58 pm »
 Give us a shout when you come to Florida. West Palm is 3 hours south of me. Your closer to stickbender or shoot across the state to swampbow, Parnel or bonepile. Coowachobee is just a little farther south.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 03:16:02 pm »

Frode, I am an hour away from West Palm Beach.  However......I am moving to Montana, hopefully by June, or July......But I might make it down here for a Christmas in the future......

Wayne

Offline Frode

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 10:28:16 pm »

Frode, I am an hour away from West Palm Beach.  However......I am moving to Montana, hopefully by June, or July......But I might make it down here for a Christmas in the future......

Wayne
Give us a shout when you come to Florida. West Palm is 3 hours south of me. Your closer to stickbender or shoot across the state to swampbow, Parnel or bonepile. Coowachobee is just a little farther south.

Sounds like a plan to me!
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 07:25:40 am »

Wayne

Gonna be a dental floss tycoon?  ;D
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline stickbender

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 08:41:15 am »

Yep, they pretty much have all of their teeth out there.  ;) Now down here...... ::)

Wayne

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 11:40:40 am »

Wayne

Gonna be a dental floss tycoon?  ;D

Jude you just showed Your Age ...with that Quote from a famous Zappa Song......... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 12:21:53 pm »
...he'll be riding his pygmy pony and using zircon encrusted tweezers!   ;D  Gotta love Frank Zappa!!

I have an alum crossbow prod I bought at a flea market probably 25 years ago. It was strung when I bought it and still is.  ;D Never tried to shoot it just more of my archery collection.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 12:33:29 pm »
You are an old Man Pat....... ;D..,,and what about ole...... Dynamo-Hum............. >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 12:39:07 pm »
First listened to Frank in the late 60. Little Suzie Creamcheese I think was the name.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2010, 01:09:45 pm »
First listened to Frank in the late 60. Little Suzie Creamcheese I think was the name.  ::)

Suzie Creamcheese was a Fictional Character that Frank made up for the Albums...it was really Jeannie Vassoir...a voclaist in the Band for a couple Albums...then it was Lisa Cohen after that....man I am old........ :P
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 01:16:27 pm »

Well, El D, I didn't want to say anything, but since you brought it up...... ;D

Wayne

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 03:02:29 pm »
I miss Uncle Frank.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit