Author Topic: Archaic Shelter, Tools, Bones  (Read 10421 times)

Offline Dane

Archaic Shelter, Tools, Bones
« on: February 24, 2010, 12:03:11 pm »
My wife is very cool, in that she didnt mind my going off and tramping around a rock shelter this past Valentine's Day. The "Rock House" is located near Ware, Massachusetts, and worth visiting. After that, my buddy and I took some time to visit the Amherst College museum of natural history. The place is great, free, and they have stuff worth multiple visits. To me, the high point was the small collection of ancient stone tools they have on display. The Neanderthal tools average about 4" tall. I didn't even ask if I could borrow them, lol.

Dane

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dane

Re: Archaic Shelter, Tools, Bones
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:05:53 pm »
More shots. The teeth are mastadon / mammoth teeth.

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:07:00 pm »
Last shots. Pardon me if I repeated any.

Dane

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 12:08:59 pm »
wow that looks like a great way to spend a weekend!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 12:12:08 pm »
It is a really fine little museum. They have some paintings and dioramas showing this area, the Connecticut River Valley, as it appeared during the Jurasic period. Very arid and tropical, which would be nice right now. They also have a great little map of what the area looked like during the last ice age, when Lake Hitchcock existed. Hard to iimagine my lttle town under all that ice.

Dane

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:09:51 pm »
cant believe we hunted mammoths.  those things are huge!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 01:13:23 pm »
Looks like a great place to visit, Dane. That Levallois flake is cool. I'd like to see all those skeletons in person, and I bet you could make a helluva flintknapping billet out of one of those megaceros antlers. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 08:06:35 pm »
awesome dane, im gonna hafta stop up there when i swing through. that rock house looks like the leathermans caves we have in thomaston, ct. next time you come down i'll show you where they are .
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 01:08:40 am »
How much are mammoth/mastadon teeth worth?  just wondering because my grandfather's family has a few from when they dredged out their sandpits in the 60's....if anyone knows let me know
GBR!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 07:51:02 pm »

Great pictures! :o  Great Wife! :o......I assume you left her with an ample supply of chocolate, wine, and Harlequin romance novels ?...... ;D  Ok, so about that Soap Stone Quarry 8)......and those spooks...... :o

Wayne

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 04:46:30 am »
I have a Celtic holy ground nearby named Cat Stones; your pictures of these shelter rocks very much reminds me of those!
Great museum pictures, too!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Dane

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 06:26:09 am »
The soapstone quarry will happen again sometime this spring. If the spooks allow it, lol.

My wife isn't much for romance type stuff, and we stopped giving each other gifts for any holiday years ago, including our birthdays.

Dane

Great pictures! :o  Great Wife! :o......I assume you left her with an ample supply of chocolate, wine, and Harlequin romance novels ?...... ;D  Ok, so about that Soap Stone Quarry 8)......and those spooks...... :o

Wayne

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 06:29:22 am »
That would be great, Jamie. I plan to come to the NEPSG again this year.

Frank, thanks. Funny how sites like these are often so similar. Maybe something about how cultures share certain things across the world.

Dane

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 09:12:31 pm »

Dane, Frank, it is that Spook thing, I'm telling ya! ;) ::)  That's how they had similar stuff! ::)  Oooooowheeeeoooo, use the rocks for shelter old toothless one.....Ooooowheeeooooo...... ;D  Hmpf, wind crazy, me build cracker style, with walk out basement., maybe ranch style...... 8)

Wayne

Offline Dane

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 09:55:15 pm »
Wayne, are you a member of the sarcastic tribe that dwells by the big river? :)

I kind of meant a lot of other things, like the technologies that traveled from continent to contient, bows for instance, atlatls, etc. Styles of dress, styles of art, all that good stuff. Trade goods and spread of ideas before these here computers and telephones and stuff. Of course, a cave is a cave is a cave. Ooga booga.

Dane