Author Topic: Hennassy Hammock Tents.. (pic)  (Read 13435 times)

Offline Aries

Hennassy Hammock Tents.. (pic)
« on: February 24, 2010, 04:30:20 pm »
These seem like a pretty awesome idea. Im thinkin bout gettin one for my hiking/camping adventures.

so far I have
pro's: No pressure points for a comfortable sleep, rain fly, 250lb capacity, only like 2 lbs, they look cool lol. you dont have to find flat spots on the ground. They have a built in bug net. set up time is like 5 min

Cons: you may have to leave your equipment outside the tent, having air underneath you durin a cold night might not be too fun. they only sleep one person.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:14:33 pm by Aries »
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hennassy Hammock Tents
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 04:37:48 pm »
Aries, I have removed the link you posted because the company is not an advertiser or sponsor of PA.
  If anyone is interested in info about these Hennassey Hammock Tents, please contact Aries by PM or e-mail or Google the company name.
  Thanks,     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aries

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 04:52:53 pm »
sorry bout that i didnt do my gazentas before posting.heres a pick instead  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:58:54 pm by Aries »
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 05:09:27 pm »
I think they are cool I want one.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Aries

Re: Hennassy Hammock Tents.. (pic)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 05:16:50 pm »
i think a model like this one retails for like 135, kinda steep for a one person, but Im thinkin about how cool it would be to set one of these up Avatar(the movie) style way up in the trees lol ;D
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 05:26:39 pm »
I have one of these and it's AWESOME!!!!  You need trees, but if you know there are going to be plenty of them where you're going, this tent is a backpacker's dream.  No more packing a pad, no more packing tent poles.  It packs into a ball about the size of a small cantalope and weighs less than 3 pounds.  Compare that to a tent, pad, and ground tarp!  Plan on getting extra rope in case the tree spacing isn't quite perfect at your chosen camp site.  And you can use your mastery of the timber hitch for something other than a bowstring.  It's very comfortable, and minimally impacts your camp's vegetation.  You WILL have to give up on congugal visits, unless you and your other are both petite.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Aries

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 05:37:43 pm »
Excellent word choice lol. i wont lie i did have to google conjugal and that gave me a chuckle lol ;D.      I was curious how the bug net thing worked on this. is it like connected to the rainfly or does it just enclose the top portion of the hammock?
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 05:56:41 pm »
Are these things different from the old jungle hammock from the surplus store?  $135 seems steep if they are not.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 06:10:50 pm »
just looked into them....I want one and I don't even camp that much....it would be nice in the summer though
GBR!

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 06:56:09 pm »
id get one if i didnt have kids
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Aries

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 08:13:01 pm »
Jude: Im not sure which ones are at the surplus store. these are not military. i have seen some others that are much cheaper but they dont appear to be the same quality as these are. The hennassy have a unique "birth canal" entrance in the bottom  that velcrows shut after you're inside and shift your weight. Sounds kinda scary having a whole in the bottom of my hammock but i guess they know what they are doing lol ;D
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 09:00:44 pm »
The bug netting is sewed onto the hammock, there's a small string sewed into the hammock that stretches tight overhead to keep it off your face.  The rain fly is a separate piece that hooks onto the main hanging ropes on either end and stretches tight for the separation you need.  The only thing that bothers me about the whole thing is that I think the string is a tad too short and the hammock is a bit too droopy underneath.  Also, it's good to have a little padding underneath for insulation from the cold, and it's a few minutes of thrashing to get everything organized while the whole deal swings and bounces under you... Casual bystanders probably think you ARE having a conjugal visit, LOL.  But once you're in and settled, it's the most comfortable camp you've ever slept in, I guarantee it.  Oh, by the way, Hennessy is a Canadian company, I think they're located on Vancouver Island or one of the smaller ones in that neighborhood.  I was told they have a contract with the US military, so maybe they are just a newer generation of the jungle hammocks?  Don't really know about that.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 09:11:50 pm »
 I used to use the Military jungle hammock. Used it in places we hunted in down here you were supposed to come out after dark but we didn't. They were great and you could camp in thick places nobody would stumble across you. The only down side I saw from the new ones is the nylon material they are made from to make them light. The mosquitos can bite through it where your skin is tight agaist the material. Like your back and butt :P
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Aries

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 09:21:37 pm »
yep i just looked it up and i guess i was wrong, the hennassy hammocks are pretty big for the military guys and there were some of a similar make issued in some of the wars.   ;D. The maker of the Hennassy Hammocks said he got his inspiration from a WW2 jungle hammock he bought at a surplus store in 1955 and improved the design into what it is today.  Ty
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 10:14:44 pm »
Aries, it is the most comfortable sleep you will have. But if you are sleeping where there are mosquitos, sleep on a mat or use a Thermo-cel under your hammock. Oh, and they are so relaxing when it is raining straight down.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?