Author Topic: i still cant..  (Read 12704 times)

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
Re: i still cant..
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 11:13:01 pm »
Best non-archery practice for archery is a shotgun. Shoot some skeet, or some rolling targets with a shotgun. The principle is the same, because you don't aim a shotgun. Make sure it's a shotgun with a plain bead.
Living a dream...

Offline Jesse

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 02:24:30 am »
I got a great tip from a really good shooter after he watched me shoot.  . The tip I got that helped my shooting accuracy instantly was to take a deeper hook on the string. I had the string out neer the tips ready to roll off which I thought was good but you would be surprised how much improvement it makes by putting the string deep in the joint.  It feels strange at first but it works ;).  Also I was coming off anchor right before my release and I didnt know it.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 12:06:19 pm »
even shooting arrows not matched to the bow, they should all hit in roughly the same place if form is consistant.  you won't know if your arrows are match or not, or if it's your form unless you can keep them in a group.  pick a spot and shoot three to five arrows.  if they are grouping, your form is ok.  if they hit right, your arrows are under spined.  if they hit left, your arrows are over spined.  missing up or down is probably your nocking point in need of adjusting.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline aero86

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 05:50:22 pm »
ok, well, crossing over from my other thread, i got the string slap part down.  i was holding my bow arm the wrong way.  i was trying to hard with it, so i was pushing my elbow down, not out.  and i wasnt holding the bow tight enough either.  and string the bow at 7 or so inches helps.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Little John

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 05:31:21 pm »
I would get a copy of Fred Asbells instinctive shooting book or both prefably. I just re read mine after several years and found several things that I could be doing better.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 09:44:37 pm »
Part of the problem may be as you stated,I try something different everytime,I believe it may help if you pivk a comfotable anchor and continue using the same form until it is ingrained,just my 2 cents.
Now is the good old days

Offline aero86

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 12:19:09 am »
I tried that at at 6 or 7 yards I was able to place 3 out of 5 shoots, with the same arrow, within a dip can size area. Not my dip can, my co workers. I just anchored again at the rear of my jaw and focused on the target
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 02:29:35 pm »
Stop your string of shots at 3 and rest alittle then try another 3 arrows after a bit move back to 15 yds.
Now is the good old days

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 09:30:28 pm »
  If you are anchoring at the REAR of your jaw, thats like a compound shooter or shooting with a Thumb ring. That probally has a lot to do with you not being consistant. Try anchoring at the corner of your mouth and looking down the arrow, and cant your bow a little. And, personally, I don't like shooting like Asbell. It's not for everybody.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 10:33:28 pm »
You have to pick an anchor point that is comfortable for you and stay with it for a while , instinctive shoot takes alot of practice -daily all year long , why would anyone want to learn any other way for hunting ? Looking down the shafts , split vision and gap shooting -I believe is more for  target - where you are at known distances . Get Asbell's book - regardless it has alot of useful information and a good explaination on eveything that is stated in the book .  ;D
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 09:51:04 pm »
Ive been a fan of G Freds since the 80s when he used to write some great trad bowhunting stories and Im sure he is an excellent shot but his method doesnt work for everyone,or for most for that matter,if it doesnt work for you and you decide to make it work,IMHO its a great way start snap shooting or short drawing,just my 2 cents.
Now is the good old days

Offline Kegan

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 10:36:20 am »
You have to pick an anchor point that is comfortable for you and stay with it for a while , instinctive shoot takes alot of practice -daily all year long , why would anyone want to learn any other way for hunting ? Looking down the shafts , split vision and gap shooting -I believe is more for  target - where you are at known distances . Get Asbell's book - regardless it has alot of useful information and a good explaination on eveything that is stated in the book .  ;D

Hunters have been using aiming styles and pointing the arrow right at the target for years. Even if you don't use it to aim, it sure helps to have it pointed where you want to go! ;D

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 06:48:33 pm »
That's why practice is the key , and with good form the arrow goes where you point -like the example of how one shoots a shotgun . Yes everyone needs to find his own way , all I was saying was that there was good info that someone with no experience could start on . Peace ! 8)
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline riarcher

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 02:20:45 pm »
Ive been a fan of G Freds since the 80s when he used to write some great trad bowhunting stories and Im sure he is an excellent shot but his method doesnt work for everyone,or for most for that matter,if it doesnt work for you and you decide to make it work,IMHO its a great way start snap shooting or short drawing,just my 2 cents.

X2
Take patience and it works. Just not for target leagues and such.
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 10:44:56 pm »
 Looking down the arrow and not shooting like Asbell works for the targets I shoot at Bent Rig, they dripped red stuff pretty good this year and last.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?