Author Topic: 3 under  (Read 2640 times)

Offline NTD

3 under
« on: February 25, 2010, 12:27:42 am »
I tried to search for this but you all know how the search feature works....

Thinking about trying the 3 under shooting.  Does a bow have to be tillered to use this method?  Will it hurt my bows to try this?
Nate Danforth

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: 3 under
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 08:44:24 am »
I usuall tiller the bottom a little stiffer if I know someone is going to shoot 3 under,I don't guess it will hurt it short term but it dose put more stress on the bottom limb. :) Take a really light bow and draw it split finger and look at the bottom limb,then go to 3 under and look,you can see the difference.  :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 05:16:40 pm »
Bows built for 3 under shooters are generally tillered even to slightly positive. But if your bow is positive tillered and you shoot 3 under you're not going to damage it's tiller to any great degree IMO. But if you're concerned, take a ruler and measure your tiller on each side of your handle before you start. Recheck tiller after several shots. Check periodically for any tiller change. If any change is noted then just shift hand pressure on your handle to the appropriate limb to even tiller back out. Have at it and have fun. ART

Offline woodstick

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 09:59:55 pm »
i shoot 3 under and i tiller all my bows even tiller, the best i can anyway.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 10:14:14 pm »
I shoot 3 under and tiller my bows to about 1/8" positive tiller to close to even.  It seems to me, that if I go much more positive tiller than that I notice more handshock.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:09:10 pm »
i switched from split to shooting two under (war bow release) and it instantly cut my groups in half.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 02:06:45 am »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I'm assuming "even tiller" means limbs the same length and bending evenly, right? 
Nate Danforth

Offline artcher1

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 04:05:42 pm »
Even tiller means both limbs the same strength. Often, the measurement from string to bow just outside the fades of the handle, shows the same. Different limb lengths is dependent upon how one grips their bow. So, you can shoot three under with centered or off-centered handle.  It's all about the bow feeling equal limb strain at full draw, no matter how you grip your bow or where you tug on the string...........ART